1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mitch Daniels will not be running for President

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kraznaya, May 22, 2011.

1. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Washington Post.

Who does this open the field for? Does this significantly affect Obama's shot at re-election?

2. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

The other 13240213481065802345.1 potential candidates.

It probably won't hurt Obama politically.

3. MikeL49NYVI

MikeL49NYVI Warlord

Daniels seemed like he was one of the few Republicans who had a chance to unite the moderate and conserative wings of the party, and bring in Tea Party support as well.
    Personally, I do not want to see Obama back in there. But unless someone steps up and can unite the different factions, the President should get reelected.

There is a special congressional election in my area of New York State next week, and it can be a indication of the national race. The Republican
    committee went out and nominated a moderate to fill the spot, without consulting anyone. The conseratives got upset at that, and now there is a
    3rd party nominee. So now the Democratic nominee has a good chance to win the election, in a district that usually votes Republican. It will be interesting to see what happens.

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

This could open the door to Huntsman. He could be interesting.

5. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

I'm not sure Huntsman can get anywhere in a Republican primary. His social views are too liberal. He favors civil unions, supports environmental issues (believes in climate change), and outside of the social issues, was in the Obama administration.

I hope that he does though, he's probably the best candidate Republicans have.

6. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Huck and Mitch aren't running, Newt and Mitt are apparently too liberal. I guess Pawlenty is the last line of defense before the GOP has to start dipping into the looney bin.

7. zjl56

zjl56 Emperor

The party machine is literally destroying every credible candidate it has.. I think that given the lack of options, Daniels or Huntsman way just well wait until the eve of the primary process to dive in.

8. mangxema

mangxema I

I know! He's so... reasonable! What's up with that? :p

Honestly, if the GOP wants my vote, it was likely either Huntsman or Daniels, so this is disappointing, but I totally get why he made this decision.

9. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

He could be waiting for 2016, when there isn't an incumbent to run against.

10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Tell them to keep up the good work. :goodjob:

11. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

This Huntsman fellow doesn't sound too bad. Is he genuinely unelectable because he's not further right than Glenn Beck?

12. Ajidica

He also isn't very well known, is liberal on many social issues, can talk to the Chinese without calling them filthy job killing Communists, and was appointed by Obama.
    Those are some of the reasons that the GOP voters won't go for him during the Primaries. T-Paw is looking more and more like the only sane candidate out there that actualy has expressed interest in running (he is announcing his formal candidacy tomorrow).

13. zjl56

zjl56 Emperor

Hah, I can't complain, but you think they would act in a little bit of self interest..

14. Cutlass

It wouldn't make him unelectable in the general election. But it would take a special miracle to get the Republicans to nominate him.

15. Arakhor

I was under the impression that the United States needed less partisan candidates, not those that are increasingly more so.

16. Cutlass

What the country needs, and what the Republicans think is good for them, 2 different subjects. The current incarnation of partisanship is seen by the Republicans as their route to victory and power. They'll have to lose big, repeatedly, before they change that.

17. Ajidica

What America needs and what we are getting are often at odds with each other. If the GOP candidate is as crazy as the party, I might wish that we had a Tory over here. They can't be as bad as what we have.

18. Arakhor

You're welcome to a few of ours! They may hate the poor, be in bed with big business, strip out most social security and frequently be involved with sex and expenses scandals, but they're not complete lunatics. (For some, more's the pity!)

Of course, they won't be American and will be probably alarmingly left-wing by US standards, but hey, a political exchange is never all chocolates and roses. :)

19. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

His stance of being pro-civil union, anti-gay marriage shouldn't be too big an issue. It's simmered down as a political football.

If he was serious about his social stances -- actually worked towards socially moderate/ semi-progressive goals -- I could accept him. Perhaps not vote for him, but if Gallop called me, I'd say I supported him.

20. Junius

Junius Prince

This is pretty much it. The views you have to hold to win the primary are going to be too much baggage to win the general. In most elections President Obama would be eminently beatable. Weak economy, high gas prices, much of his foreign policy is unpopular, etc. This is very reminiscent of the '04 election. Bush was weak, but the Dems couldn't get behind one person and ended up with a weak nominee. Kerry was qualified certainly, but nobody was really excited about him. At least the republicans will control the both houses of congress. I can tell myself that when Obama wins.