1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mix and Match (Unrestricted Leaders)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by WonderCrush, May 13, 2012.

1. WonderCrush

WonderCrush Chieftain

What's your favorite combo of leaders and civs?

Personally I favor Hatshepsut leading the Indian nation as well as Darius leading Carthage though I'm curious to hear other perspectives and I'm eager to test out other combinations.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

You'll find quite a bit of discussion on this in past threads if you search, but it is always interesting to discuss, although I rarely actually play with the option.

Generally, I look for the synergy between Leader and Civ that often does not exist with the standard setup. Combinations of Starting techs/UUs or Traits/UBs. A standard leader with good synergy is Shaka with his AGG trait and Barrack UU.

The combos you mention above are really just a wash, although Darius has some synergy with Carthage UU with starting techs.

Some examples of good synergistic combos:

Fred of Sumeria - Organized trait and early CH replacement not only means possible fast rexxing, but an interesting espionage game (EE economy) with the Philo trait. Build GW and get lots of Great Spies, as well as the earlier EPs from the spies.

India with any Expansive leader. Peter, Pacal, Mehmed and Biz would all be interesting. (edit: Sury is rock solid as well)

Boudica of Rome for Praet silliness

Pretty much any Organized leader and the Aztecs (reduced cost of best UB in the game). Hammy might be interesting here for stronger Jags or just go with a better trait combo like Darius, Fred or Roos

Washington of the Incans...fast Terraces and more XP on Quechas

Toku of England...think about it...ha

Elizabeth of Korea

De Gaulle or Qin of Mali

Churchill of Native America (only reason I'd ever build Stonehenge outside OCC) or Churchill of Spain (likewise the Castle, although I prefer Conquistadors)

3. coanda

coanda Emperor

Toku of Ottomans might be the only combo that makes fast-Gunpowder bulbing for muskets worthwhile. I may try that some time.

4. lymond

I'd say Toku of Ethopia is even better. Yeah, Drill 1 cancels out, but the Oromos still pick up C1CG1 as well and the later rifles will be just sick. I like Oromos much better than Jans for the Drill madness and the fact that the promos stick. Otherwise muskets are just muskets.

5. coanda

coanda Emperor

I would expect Janissaries to be more useful in the specific case of a crazy gunpowder bulb-beeline with Toku. You'll be getting Gunpowder well before any AI has it (hopefully); you won't be getting Rifling until quite a while after Gunpowder; you already have Drill I from PRO. So the comparison really just comes down to 1 extra first-strike vs. a 25% boost against everything you're likely to be fighting.

6. vranasm

vranasm Deity

Well I think you should first try Huyana Capac with Incan nation...

He isn't played that much here on this forum, but for good reason (and no it isn't because people would think he sucks)

7. lymond

Technically 2 extra first strikes and 20% less collateral and Drills stick. Drill III out the gate with Drill IV very close. Drill IV also comes with a bonus against mounted units.

8. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

Napoleon of Mongolia on a pangaea map - the keshik romp never stops...

COL means two pop whip courthouses and heavily promoted keshiks mean you can overrun every AI before they can get to rifles...

9. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

I love, love, love Frederick of Rome. Stacking Philosophical on top of Forums is very nice, and it retains the more useful of Julius's two traits. Hammurabi or Napoleon with the Aztecs can do a lot of damage with a CoL beeline, too. I'd say with Napoleon of the Aztecs you might be able to grab Stonehenge as well (since he'll start with Mysticism), which is a wonder I only ever build anymore with a Charismatic leader. Add Sacrificial Altars on top of that and, oh, man.

10. ShengWuLien

ShengWuLien Warlord

Pericles of China is pretty fun if you're going for the Engineering bulb/cho-ko-nu rush gambit.

11. Habitus

Habitus Emperor

Wang Kon of Mali is the most standard choice for Unrestricted Always War games on higher difficulties. Niche but powerful within that niche :)

12. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

Wang of Mali looks appealing even outside Always War games to me. I love annoying my neighbours, and PRO skirmishers should be enough to make it safe in most games.

Still, my top choice would probably be Mehmed of Inca. Greatly accelerated city development, capable of a hard rush if warranted.