1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

mm18: Incan Warlords AWM

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Mark1031, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Game: Warlords
    Civ: Incans Ind, Fin: a nice combo and a great UU
    Level: Monarch
    Settings: Always War, No Tech Trading
    Land: Continents

I find AW to be a bit harder in warlords but not that much different. The great generals are fun.

Mark
    werdna
    uberfish
    XtreamRockstar
    Qwack
    ThERat

2. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

sign me up if you don;t mind that I won't be around from 27-30th aug

3. Tatran

Tatran Chieftain

Why not playing with the Charismatic and Imperialistic traits ?

4. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Come on people, where are the warmongers. Let's make some great generals.

5. werdna

werdna Chieftain

I've been lurking in a lot of your games guys and learned a lot over last few months. Especially AW games.
    Would be great if I could join you on this one.
    Incas is my favorite leader in warlords. I usually play emperor and can win fairly easily (always domination at around 1400AD)
    I've played several AW games on noble and prince levels (never monarch) and could win those too.

6. uberfish

uberfish Immortal

Are you taking builders? :p

I'll play.

7. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

I won't be around until Wednesday, so if you start this game, just wait for me to return and put me at the end of the roster

8. Xtream_Rockstar

Xtream_Rockstar THE D IS BACK

hey if theres still room ill join.. this is warlords right because i broke my civ 4 origanal disc and all i gotts is a warlords disc

9. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

One more opening get it now.

10. Qwack

Qwack The Poopman

I guess ill join. Other SG's about to finish.

11. pindicator

pindicator Chieftain

lurker's comment:
    Sign me up for lurking duty ;)

12. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

4000BC Found in place start Quechua. Research->Poly. Hut gives 86 gp.

3520: We are Hindu

3280: Fishing-> Masonry

3240: Hut gives barbs. Another hut gave map.

2960: Masonry->AH

2880: Work boat->worker. I have been getting hammered by barb animals but no losses yet.

2840: Hut gives 34 gp

2760: We finally meet some. Roosevelt in the SW with a warrior.

2720: I give Rosey a proper greeting and wack his warrior. We seem to be alone on the north end of a continent with a big lake in the middle creating 2 fairly broad chokes.

2600: AH in and we have horses nearby. Start on the wheel.

2440: Meet a scout of Mao’s

2360: Also meet Julius Caesar in there somewhere. Everyone is to the S I think.

2320: Oh I see now I am pillaging Caesar’s Elephants I thought it Was Rosey. Good Ceaser is the first guy we find. He must not get Iron.

2240: I have an 18% chance of taking Rome now. Should I try it? No it will give me time to pillage.

2160: Pottery in. Now what next? I want to build the Great Wall and maybe the Pyramids. The wall is huge in that it keeps barbs out of your territory and gives double general production. It uses stone. Is mono worth delaying bronze and Iron by 9 turns. No better not with 3 civs already on continents we better get metals soon and start expanding. Also kill a Roman settler covered by only 1 archer for a free worker. Now if we can get him home safely.

Summary: The layout of the known world is shown below. We have Rome nearest to the S. Note that we also have stone and are industrious. All 3 stone wonders would be useful with the great wall top priority. Settler should cross the river an grab the site where thw Quechua is standing to get horses, gold, and rice.

Mark
    werdna-UP
    uberfish-On Deck
    XtreamRockstar
    Qwack
    ThERat

13. Xtream_Rockstar

Xtream_Rockstar THE D IS BACK

i say we do build the GW because it is my favorite wonder and it will help us in AW

14. Qwack

Qwack The Poopman

Looks like we have some good land around us here. There is a whipping village in the NW with wheat/crabs. I agree first settler should grab the horse/gold/rice location, but imo he should be placed on the hill. This gives us all 3 resources within the initial radius, and if we start getting encroached upon by the AI, hill defense will be useful.

There is also a very good looking production spot towards the east with the oasis/cows and a combo of plains hills and grassland which can push out 15 base hammers at size 6..

In terms of the wonders, if we want GW, we should build it before barracks IMO. It has been built aroudn the 1600 BC era in most of my games. Barracks first isnt useful if we are going to go GW right after it anyways (Unless we plan to build some more troops before GW).

15. uberfish

uberfish Immortal

If we want to build the great wall we should cancel barracks to do so, as Qwack says. I think we should. It will allow us to ignore barbarian spawns in the north. We can get it in 8 turns if we switch the citizens on floodplains to work Plains forests for now, and Pyramids in 15 turns. 15!! We don't even have any mines yet. That is crazy. I think we should scratch the barracks, work those forests, and build both of these wonders now. I know it is AW, but when the game gives us Pyramids on a silver platter I think we have to take them.

We don't need monotheism, +25% added to our existing +150% constructing stone wonders is not important. It's better to know where the metals are to stop Caesar getting them connected.

Don't care about stonehenge when our UB granary gives 2 culture.

I think 2nd city should go on the quechua's spot by river, for the health benefits and so that we can mine the grass hill. It can be reinforced in two turns from the capital anyway.

16. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

agree to build the GW and try and go for pyramids.
    To survive on monarch AW we need all the help we can get. Rome will be tough, but as long as we can keep them from getting praets it should be fine

17. werdna

werdna Chieftain

what speed is this on? things seem to built pretty fast (i usually play marathon)

I just played test game AWM (maraton, small pangea map) and found that to be extemly easy on warlords (versus other AW games I played on vanilla on prince level).
    Maybe I just go lucky. Took another AIs capital after building 5 quechua. It was only about 6 tiles from my borders.
    Thru the entire game I didn't see any horse units attack me (finished by domination at around 1200AD) and later found out I controlled all the horses.
    I killed over 400 archers and very few swordsman & axes came and only couple elephants.
    I even allowed tech trading and AI seemed to struggle alot. They founded budism in AD times (I didn't bother going for it, I had hinduism) and later all other religions without even trying going for them.
    I think AI for AW on warlords maybe tries to do too much emphasis on war?

18. Mark1031

Mark1031 Chieftain

Speed is normal, that will be much more difficult than marathon. Also, 20 turns first round for everyone. I agree with the consensus to scratch the rax for now and do the GW and Pyramids immediately. This will also give a quick GE or 2.

19. werdna

werdna Chieftain

I also agree that hill city will be better.
    I've made a sample dot map (see attachment).
    #1 is obvious
    #2 is could be good commerce city (could grab flood plains from capital)
    #3 would be great production city (with 5 hammer stone tile)
    #5 nice city too with cows and spices and lots of chopping ability
    Also up north could be good one with gold and 2 sprices
    and down below 2 chokes. one gets horses & cows and the other cows.

What's our research path? BW next?
    are we trying to go for oracle (no usalbe marble nearby).

Attached Files:

20. uberfish

uberfish Immortal

I seriously disagree with settling on the hill, we don't have great food surplus in that city and should be mining that hill. Remember we get cultural expansion from granary and the city can start off working horses which are a much better tile than un-irrigated rice.

The city should end up size 4 in the early game with rice (+2f without irrigation) gold (-2f) horse (-1f) and grass hill mine (-1f). We can add a grass forest or two if we choose. If we place it on the grass hill we lose the option of that mine, and 2 health from river, and are also unable to build a grass farm to add growth when we grow the city further, until CS. We should have great wall so barbarians aren't a worry, and we have to defend our resources anyway so whether we put it on a hill or not doesn't really matter from a defensive standpoint, as the city is useless if its resources get pillaged.

well I guess there's a 2/2 split on that so far.

Anyway we should be researching BW I agree. I don't think we'll get oracle, there are other AIs we haven't declared war on yet on other continents who will be developing as normal. We have stone, might as well build the stone wonders. Hanging gardens are practically guaranteed for us too, so we should have some nice Great Engineer production to play with this game.