Mmmm, watching the AI use 10 bombers every turn...

Malachi256

Prince
Makes me want to... nm.

I know I can turn on quick battles, but I consider that a drastic solution to an obvious problem, one that should be fixed ASAP.

However that is the solution.

Though try this, before you end your turn, switch to strategic view, if I recall, quick combat also goes through with that up. So if you just want to watch your own units on your turn, try that out.

At the same time, I'm ki9nda with Malachi here-

Plane animations should have a button. To simplify them and make them very fast.

At the same time, I'm ki9nda with Malachi here-

Plane animations should have a button. To simplify them and make them very fast.

Yeah, the length of aircraft animations is just ridiculous. I like seeing combat play out except for air combat. I doubt Firaxis will change it though, because they've had over a year and a half to do so and they still have not.

However that is the solution.

Though try this, before you end your turn, switch to strategic view, if I recall, quick combat also goes through with that up. So if you just want to watch your own units on your turn, try that out.

It's interesting, as that is a great work-around when it's your turn. I regularly switch back and forth all the time during my turns.

However, once it's the AI turn, switching doesn't help. I believe switching before you finish your turn will work, but if you switch while you're waiting, it'll just keep plodding along slowly.

Nonetheless, this is just a ridiculous QA issue that should've never made it out of beta. With turn-length being one of the game's Achilles' Heels, Firaxis should really implement far more specific and useful animation toggles. Just streamlining plane animations SHOULD be the fix, but letting us just toggle them specifically off would also work.

Another example - in my current game, there are a couple city states who have been at war for over 1000 years now (pretty sure it's a bug, as they're both allied to the same civ), and because they're on my border I've spent who knows how many minutes watching them slap each other back and forth. I want an option to turn off battle animations for nations I'm not at war with.

Funny thing is, plane animations were made much faster in Gods and Kings. It's still way too slow.

They should just cut out 80% of the air unit's flight animation and just keep the lead-up to the attack, the attack animation, and the animation where the plane turns to fly back home. Then it would be completely a non-issue.

They should just cut out 80% of the air unit's flight animation and just keep the lead-up to the attack, the attack animation, and the animation where the plane turns to fly back home. Then it would be completely a non-issue.
Or just show all AI plane actions simultaneously, which might make it look like there's an actual air battle going on.

Call me crazy, but I don't mind watching the units have combat. I like to see the planes drop bombs and blow up. I don't like to have to be in a rush.

The bombers get a bit long circling over and over though. The way they should fly to target, drop bombs and fly back to base. Their should only be extra animation in dogfights. Or fighters attacking bombers.

OT--- Marshal Michel Ney defends himself after the battle of Waterloo.

He was the one with the suicide cavalty attack which cost Napoleon the victory.

Experts believe that Ney had a total blackout during the last stage of the battle!!

I've only been creating thread after thread since release on the official forums about this very issue. :rolleyes: I don't think the developers play there own game atleast with the animations on. Once the AI get planes i turn off the animations in the options and i use strategic mode for my own planes. I'd like to see all the battles but they take far to long, unfortunately firaxis don't care to speed them up.

Nonetheless, this is just a ridiculous QA issue that should've never made it out of beta. With turn-length being one of the game's Achilles' Heels, Firaxis should really implement far more specific and useful animation toggles. Just streamlining plane animations SHOULD be the fix, but letting us just toggle them specifically off would also work.

As someone who does software QA for a living, I can tell you that this is an incredibly low level issue that will keep getting side-lined in favour of other, more pressing problems and the development of new features.

It's not a complete show-stopper, (it doesn't crash the game or similar), it has a simple work-around, (turn animations off), and they have made a good-faith attempt at making it faster in Gods & Kings.

It frustrates me to see people talk about minor issues as if they were crucial. IMO this isn't the kind of fiddling small change developers should be wasting their time on but - as we all know - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so make enough noise about it and maybe they'll do something. But realise that if they do fix this minor annoyance, it will be at the expense of something else.

OT--- Marshal Michel Ney defends himself after the battle of Waterloo.

He was the one with the suicide cavalty attack which cost Napoleon the victory.

Experts believe that Ney had a total blackout during the last stage of the battle!!

OT- Napoleon had no chance in the first place. Even if he defeated the British, he simply would have been playing for time. Ney was just a premature nail in the coffin. He should have defeated the British at Quatre Bras. By not doing so, this allowed Wellington to retreat in good order to ground of his choosing. Here the weather played a part as well. The skies opened up making pursuit impossible for the French.

Of all I have read, I also, put part blame on Marshal Grouchy, who should have marched to the sound of the guns. He was duped into a holding position by one Prussian corps. However, Napoleon should never have split his force in the face of the enemy. His doctrine was always to defeat one army and then turn on the other, which was known as the 'Strategy of the central position'. Also, Murat should have been in command of the French cavalry at Waterloo. Napoleon denied Murat this opportunity, because he felt Murat was a traitor. Actually, he was, but he certainly would have proved quite useful.

The Armée du Nord of 1815, was the best army Napoleon commanded since 1813, but it simply was not large enough to defeat the whole of Europe, now arrayed against him. Fate has a way of shortening such oversight on the part of the French. Mistakes were made which simply led to defeat.

Ney did make many mistakes, but it really is his bravery that goes down in legend, not his errors in battle. At least in my eyes. He certainly fought those cossacks from Moscow all the way to the Niemen. If it was not for Ney commanding the rearguard of the French army, many more men would have perished. As it was only 35,000 French soldiers survived. Along with 50,000 Prussian and Austrian troops. Ney saved these too, who turn against Napoleon in 1813.

Anyway way OT.

Back OT...

So, we will see how the AI uses it's bombers very soon. I have an LP story coming up, which I plan to post part by part while I mod some units for future game.

In this game I am Ethiopia. Emperor, large map 11 civs, 14 or 15 CSs, if I remember right. Domination victory, play until 1918. It should be quite interesting. Posting will begin as soon as I am more advanced in tech, closer to WWI tech.

As someone who does software QA for a living, I can tell you that this is an incredibly low level issue that will keep getting side-lined in favour of other, more pressing problems and the development of new features.

It's not a complete show-stopper, (it doesn't crash the game or similar), it has a simple work-around, (turn animations off), and they have made a good-faith attempt at making it faster in Gods & Kings.

It frustrates me to see people talk about minor issues as if they were crucial. IMO this isn't the kind of fiddling small change developers should be wasting their time on but - as we all know - the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so make enough noise about it and maybe they'll do something. But realise that if they do fix this minor annoyance, it will be at the expense of something else.

I'm not sure how you consider it a minor annoyance.

You realize that graphics are the single biggest feature that make a game a AAA game. If I just wanted a pure strategy game, I'd play some Paradox game or something, but I like graphics. I want to see stuff blow up.

And yet the only solutions to this problem are both "turn the graphics off," whether through strategic mode (which basically makes Civ a Paradox game) or by turning animations off.

Also

- watching a barbarian shooting a defended CS unit
- watching 2 CS attacking each other

so much fun

or maybe they should intensify battle scenes.... just to gall this thread. ;p

I agree that the animations can be irrelevant and tedious. But, they can also be pretty fun to watch and listen to. It could be pretty neat if they made the battle animations more elaborate, and even simultaneous, with more variety. I do appreciate the variety that there is.

Aircraft animations is one of the ways where you can track where the planes is coming from and nuke the city where planes is based at.

yeah this is one thing they really did not fix in G&K. Distance from base city to target is also a factor...such that when you get stealth bombers and their insane range it becomes unbearable.

once i get big air forces i queue up all the attacks (you can select the next guy while the first one is in air) then distract myself with non-civ activities until the turn finishes. I like the naval & land animations too much to turn them off completely. its really a pretty crappy situation. definitely more than a "minor annoyance" IMO.

Also

- watching a barbarian shooting a defended CS unit
- watching 2 CS attacking each other

so much fun

Yes someone please let the AI know that:

1. A melee unit can whoop a comparable ranged unit and they don't need to fortify forever as a human pincushion.

2. Boats can only move in the water, so you can just go inland to stop being bombarded.

Top Bottom