Moar Units Mod

MOAR Units Mod 1.2

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
ATTENTION! This mod is no longer in development and has been replaced by the Steel and Thunder mods:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/steel-and-thunder-unit-expansion.26709/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/steel-and-thunder-unique-units.26820/

--------------------------------------------

Greetings! This Civilization VI mod adds 10 general units and 2 additional unique units for each Civilization.

Even Moar Units
Even Moar Units: Australia
Even Moar Units: The Aztecs
Even Moar Units: Poland
Even Moar Units: Macedon & Persia

Unit Info:

Scout now upgrades to Explorer then Ranger then Recon.

Pikeman now upgrades to Gatling Gun then AT Crew. Anti-Cavalry bonus increase to +20 vs Light Cavalry and +15 vs Heavy Cavalry.

Catapult upgrades to Trebuchet then Bombard.

Field Cannon upgrades to Sniper then Modern Sniper.

Swordsman upgrades to Longswordsman then Musketman.

Musketman now upgrades to Rifleman and Rifleman upgrades to Infantry.

Knight now upgrades to Cuirassier and Cuirassier upgrades to Tank.

Rider (formerly Horseman) now upgrades to Horseman and Horseman upgrades to Cavalry.

Unique Unit Info:

Minuteman (America)
American unique Industrial era unit that replaces Musketman. Slightly stronger than Musketman, and gains +5 Combat Strength when fighting in or adjacent to its home territory. Also gains additional +5 is fighting in Forest or Jungle.

AH-64 Apache (America)
American unique Atomic Era Light Cavalry unit. +10 Combat Strength versus Heavy Cavalry units.

Camel Archer (Arabia)
Arabian unique Classical era unit. Gains additional +8 Combat Strength when fighting on Desert or Plains.

Ghazi (Arabia)
Arabian unique melee unit that replaces the Swordsman. +5 [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength when opponent is another religion. Yields 50% of defeated units' Combat Strength as Faith on combat victory. Converts captured cities to player's religion. May be purchased with Faith.

Landsknecht (Germany)
German unique Medieval era unit that replaces Pikeman. Half the cost of Pikeman but must be purchased with gold.

Tiger I (Germany)
German unique Tank replacement that has +5 Combat Strength when attacking.

Peltast (Greece)
Greek unique Ranged unit that replaces Archer. Stronger ranged attack and melee defence than Archer but with Range 1.

Armatolos (Greece)
Greek unique melee unit that replaces Rifleman. +5 Combat Strength on Hills and ignores Hills movement penalty.

Phalanx (Sumeria)
Sumerian unique Ancient era unit that replaces the Spearman. The Phalanx is available with the discovery of the Mining technology. +8 Combat Strength if fighting within 8 tiles of a Ziggurat improvement.

Sickle Swordsman (Sumeria)
Sumerian unique melee unit. +5 Combat Strength versus damaged units.

Cho-ko-nu (China)
Chinese unique Medieval era ranged unit that replaces Crossbowman. Slightly less strong than the Crossbowman, but can attack twice per turn.

Shigong (China)
Chinese unique support unit available with the Military Training Civic. Adjacent Melee, Cavalry, Anti-Cavalry and Ranged units get +5 Combat Strength and earn more experience. Must have a Barracks to build.

Jinete (Spain)
Spanish unique ranged unit that replaces Horseman. Yields 50% of defeated units' Combat Strength as Faith on combat victory if fighting on same continent as capital.

Tercio (Spain)
Spanish unique Renaissance era anti-cavalry unit.

Eques (Rome)
Roman unique cavalry unit that replaces Horseman. +5 Combat Strength when fighting next to Legion or Warrior unit. Yields 33% of defeated units' as Gold on combat victory.

Onager (Rome)
Roman unique siege unit. Stronger than the Catapult it replaces.

Druzhina Cavalry (Russia)
Russian unique cavalry unit that replaces Horseman. +5 Combat Strength versus damaged units and +4 Combat Strength against Melee units.

T-34 (Russia)
Russian unique Tank replacement that costs less to build and less maintenance. +5 Combat Strength in or adjacent to own territory.

Hirdman (Norway)
Norweigian unique Classical era unit that replaces Swordsman. +5 Combat Strength and yields 50% of defeated units' Combat Strength as Culture on combat victory if fighting on same continent as capital.

Ulfhedinn (Norway)
Norwegian unique support unit available with the Mysticism Civic. Adjacent units receive +5 Combat Strength versus undamaged units and +10 Combat Strength versus damaged units. Yield 50% of defeated units' Combat Strength as Faith if combat is won within one tile.

Mughal Sowar (India)
Indian unique Medieval era heavy cavalry unit that replaces Knight. Ignores terrain costs. Heals +15 per turn when on or adjacent to a Stepwell improvement.

Sepoy (India)
Indian unique melee unit that replaces the Rifleman. Fights at full Combat Strength when damaged.

Longbowman (England)
English unique Medieval era ranged unit that replaces the Crossbowman. +4 Combat Strength against Melee and Cavalry units with a further +4 Combat Strength if adjacent to another Longbowman unit.

Ironside (England)
English unique Renaissance Era Heavy Cavalry unit available with the Reformed Church Civic. +5 Combat Strength in or adjacent to own territory and +5 Combat Strength when opponent is another religion.

Sohei (Japan)
Japanese unique unit available with the Feudalism Civic. Can be purchased with Faith. +10 Combat Strength when defending.

Yamato (Japan)
Japanese unique naval ranged unit. Stronger than the Battleship it replaces.

Amazon Scout (Scythia)
Scythian unique Ancient era recon unit that is stronger than the regular Scout.

Amazon Cavalry (Scythia)
Scythian unique Medieval era heavy cavalry unit that replaces Knight. +1 movement over Knight and can attack twice per turn.

Bandeirante (Brazil)
Brazilian unique Renaissance era recon unit that replaces the Ranger. Available earlier than the Ranger at Gunpowder. Can build forts. Yields 25% of defeated units' combat strength as Gold and 25% of defeated units' combat strength as Culture.

Fatherland Volunteer (Brazil)
Brazilian unique Industrial era melee unit that replaces the Rifleman. Cheaper than the Rifleman and costs less maintenance.

Hyksos Bowman (Egypt)
Egyptian unique ranged unit that it stronger than the Archer it replaces.

Tessarakonteres (Egypt)
Egyptian unique naval ranged unit. Stronger than the Quadrireme it replaces and has range 2 instead of 1.

Gendarme (France)
French unique Medieval era heavy cavalry unit that replaces Knight. +5 Combat Strength when attacking.

Marine (France)
French unique melee unit that replaces Musketman. +5 Combat Strength on foreign continents. Amphibious - no attack penalty when attacking from sea or across rivers.

Medicine Man (Kongo)
Kongolese unique support unit replacing Medic but available earlier with the Mysticism Civic. Heals units plus adjacent Melee, Cavalry, Anti-Cavalry and Ranged units yield 50% of defeated units' Combat Strength as Faith on combat victory. May be purchased with Faith.

Garde Republicaine (Kongo)
Kongolese unique Information era melee unit that replaces Mechanized Infantry. +10 Combat Strength when attacking or defending districts.

Installation Instructions

1. Unzip the zip file.
2. The MOAR_Units directory should be copied into your Mods folder (.../Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/).
3. Enable enable Moar Units! via the checkbox under Additional Content.

Re-Use in Other Mods
I'm happy for anything from Moar Units to be re-used and reworked in other mods. Go ahead! (Github link)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Download Here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Have fun!

Attachments

• moar1.png
    moar1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 58,047
  • moar2.png
    moar2.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 31,426
  • moar3.png
    moar3.png
    680.8 KB · Views: 61,898
  • moar0.4.jpg
    moar0.4.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 200,753
Last edited:
How did you make these units?

By editing the Units.artdef file. I think for most people it would be simpler to wait for Firaxis to release the mod tools. It's quite fiddly work working directly on the file.

Can't wait for the unit attachment system. So much time saved!

and really nice job with the units.

What do you mean the unit attachment system? Like where you have support units?

Although with the changes to movement having a unit shoot 3 tiles is probably overpowered.. Maybe just stronger archers?

Would you be upload a version which only adds the rifleman unit? i've been fiddling around with it for my own uses, but I'd like a version which just has the rifleman if possible. Thank you!

Would you be upload a version which only adds the rifleman unit? i've been fiddling around with it for my own uses, but I'd like a version which just has the rifleman if possible. Thank you!

I think what I'll do is release these as separate mods for each unit. For now just edit MOAR_Units_Data.xml to just contain the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameData>
    <Types>
        <Row Type="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" Kind="KIND_UNIT"/>
    </Types>
    <Units>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" BaseMoves="2" Cost="350" AdvisorType="ADVISOR_CONQUEST" BaseSightRange="2" ZoneOfControl="true" Domain="DOMAIN_LAND" FormationClass="FORMATION_CLASS_LAND_COMBAT" Name="LOC_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_NAME" Description="LOC_UNIT_RIFLEMAN_DESCRIPTION" PurchaseYield="YIELD_GOLD" PromotionClass="PROMOTION_CLASS_MELEE" Maintenance="4" Combat="64" PrereqTech="TECH_RIFLING" MandatoryObsoleteTech="TECH_SATELLITES"/>
    </Units>
    <UnitUpgrades>
        <Row Unit="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" UpgradeUnit="UNIT_INFANTRY"/>
    </UnitUpgrades>
    <UnitAIInfos>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITAI_COMBAT"/>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITAI_EXPLORE"/>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITTYPE_MELEE"/>
        <Row UnitType="UNIT_RIFLEMAN" AiType="UNITTYPE_LAND_COMBAT"/>
    </UnitAIInfos>
</GameData>

Any chance of making longbowmen??!! Awesome work!

Yes, I've been thinking of ideas for trying to get a second UU for each civ. The tricky part is that finding units that I can make by recombining parts of existing units (until the mod tools are released which may well be imminent).

Some ideas I had for the next batch of UUs:

England:
Longbowman (replaces Crossbowman) maybe anti-cavalry and/or defensive bonuses

Spain:
Jinete (replaces Horseman) anti-cavalry?
Galleon would be good but what to do with it. A sea only Trader replacement giving extra gold would be cool but maybe tricky to do.

France:
Gendarme (heavier/stronger version of Knight)

Brazil:
Either Bandeirantes or Pracinha would be doable.

Egypt:
Some kind of early warship would be good I think.

Japan:
Could do other units in Samurai/ethnic armour e.g. Yari, Archer or Arquebusier type unit. Or maybe a Warrior Monk unit using Scout animations could be done.

India:
One of the ethnic styles is called Mughal so something of that era. Would need to be different to the Mamluk.

Kongo:
Perhaps a modern Republican Guard unit?

Rome:
Maybe a stronger catapult?

Struggling a bit for additional Russia, Scythia and Norway UUs. Open to suggestions!

Additional non-unique units ideas:

Cuirassier - would be good to fill out Knight -> Tank. Tricky to do art-wise as I haven't been able to get unmounted armours to work on mounted units yet.

What do you mean the unit attachment system? Like where you have support units?

More on that here.

Oh wow, gives me a lot of hope for the unit attachment system :D

Can't wait for the unit attachment system. So much time saved!

I have run into a few limitations with the attachment system - at least working with the Units.artdef directly - may be resolved by whatever tool Firaxis release.

1. Using unmounted armours for mounted units and vice-versa doesn't work which limits options quite a lot. If you try and mount the Hoplite armour for example it stays in the Spearman position with Spearman animations. This may be resolved when we actually get some guidance/tools from Firaxis. Hats and weapons can be swapped between mounted/unmounted OK as far as I've seen.
2. Not all elements can be recoloured via XML. I guess this is because some textures have the alpha set up to allow base colour through and some don't. If it was me I would make pretty everything have at least some element of alpha so that the colour can be changed simply via XML. At the moment a lot of things like hats and cloaks can't be recoloured which limits options.
3. Even swapping armours between mounted units can not work well sometimes. For example I tried using the Ancient Great General armour for the Hetairoi using a Horseman base and the arms we're not rigged right and looked kind of weird.

Still it's fun playing around. I was pleased that swapping the Camel in for a Horse worked even if the baggage on top can't be replaced with a saddle. Once we can add in our own Armors, Hats and Weapons then the fun will really begin! :)

Last edited:
Really nice job there, I love the possibilities. But the Rifleman needs a hat - maybe the tall shako from the English Redcoat would work? Definitely not the tricorne, but since we don't seem to have any sort of kepi in the base game, the shako would be the closest equivalent. Thank you for your work and looking forward to updates on that. :)

Loose ideas for units:

Scythia - some sort of mounted noblewomen? Though there is a distinct lack of mounted female models
Russia - Streltsy (17th century foot musketmen), although they were disbanded by Peter personally. Alternatively a heavy Boyar / Druzhina cavalry, armed with swords and axes and a round shield.
Norway - maybe a Skald, a unique Scout, like a wandering poet?
India - +1 On the Mughal horsemen/heavy cav
Rome: Triarii maybe? Or an Equite cavalry. Maybe something from the later era, like a Palatini-style horse guardsmen?
Japan: if only vehicles could be modified, I'd go with a Mikasa or Yamato battleship

Also +1 on the Cuirassier. Most needed unit right now to fill in a stylistic gap.

But the Rifleman needs a hat - maybe the tall shako from the English Redcoat would work? Definitely not the tricorne, but since we don't seem to have any sort of kepi in the base game, the shako would be the closest equivalent.

Yeah I tried a few things but nothing felt quite right. I could use one of the Redcoat or Cavalry ones but then it would look to similar to the Garde Imperiale but might try it and see.

@Deliverator

Is it possible to change the animation of an unit? For example, is it possible to make the Pikeman using the animation of Spearman?

Yeah that should be quite a simple one. Just copy the Spearman UnitMember data and switch the Armor to Pikeman. The only complication is that you'd have to switch it for all the cultural variants - so it would be 6 one-line changes rather than one. The current list of graphical Cultures is NorthernEuropean, Mediterranean, Mughal, NorthAfrican, SouthAfrican, SouthAmerican, EastAsian, Barbarian.

I'm still not very sure how all this is hanging together. I initially thought that the attachment system would work by allowing you to attaching meshes to a single skeleton & animation set, but some of things I've tried suggest that some elements such as Armors and Bodies have their own skeletons.

Top Bottom