1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod art not showing?

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by HylianPanda, Dec 29, 2017.

1. HylianPanda

HylianPanda Chieftain

I'm using Josh's template trying to make a civilization. I followed the video twice using separate fresh builds following it and neither will show art. I load the game it shows the mods there. I enable one while disabling all my other mods and try to select the civ and it has no art. Furthermore when I try to play as it the game goes to a blank loading screen and comes back to the main menu. This is my first time modding this game so I'm tryin' to learn how to do it and would appreciate any help possible.

I haven't changed any of the actual mechanics of the civ in the tutorial only the text and file names so they refer to the correct files and aren't just named custom.

( to the template/guide)

2. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    When you load a game using your new mod and it comes back to the main menu, that means there is an error in your code somewhere, assuming you have logging turned on, you will find this error in database.log.

As for the art not showing up, I don't know, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my art in game as well :(

3. HylianPanda

HylianPanda Chieftain

Yeah I actually found the error that caused it to crash but I still have no in game art. The leader art shows on the selection screen but the circle still shows a question mark. When in game the civ doesn't have the little symbol on it and the leader screen shows Cleopatra with no background for some reason.

4. kingchris20

Doing better than me then, I can't get any art to show up, and I modded for Civ V. Got my art in that game no problem :(

5. HylianPanda

HylianPanda Chieftain

In another post on this same subject I found this which helped me a little. That's how I have what little art I do have.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/my-civ-custom-art-some-text-isnt-working.616918/ The rest of that thread if you wanna check it for clues.

kingchris20 likes this.
  6. kingchris20

Were you able to get ModBuddy to create .blp files, I still have no .blp files? I'm guessing those are important.

And based on another post in that thread he stated asking which method the OP used - "Importing .dds files directly in modinfo or using tex-xlp(-artdef) method?"

So I wonder if using option A are tex/xlp/artdef's required?
    and are .blp's required for either option?

7. HylianPanda

HylianPanda Chieftain

I have no idea what a .blp file is or how to create them. I just added more of the art files to be called there.

Code:
    <Element>
    <libraryName text="LeaderFallback"/>
    <relativePackagePaths>
    <Element text="LeaderFallbacks"/>
    </relativePackagePaths>
    </Element>
    <Element>
    <libraryName text="UITexture"/>
    <relativePackagePaths>
    <Element text="UI/Icons"/>
    <Element text="UILeaders"/>
    <Element text="UI/Shell_Loading"/>
    <Element text="UI_LeaderScenes"/>
    <Element text="LeaderBackgrounds"/>
    <Element text="Leader_(Thing your leader is named)"/>
    <Element text="LeaderFallbacks"/>
    <Element text="ART_LEADER_(Thing your leader is named)"/ 
    <Element text="FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_(Thing your leader is named)"/>
    </relativePackagePaths>
    </Element>
    and now I have all art except stuff on the diplomacy screen. Not really sure what of those did it but it's somehow making progress. Only thing that isn't showing up is on the diplomacy screen it shows a blank background and Cleopatra.

8. Chad Darden

Chad Darden Chieftain

I would just check and double check all your references and filenames for your art and in the art files. That's what I just got finished doing and all the art is working for me now except the leader icon in the top right. I still can't figure out what's going on with that, just shows a '?'.

9. kingchris20

Does your mod have a "Platforms" folder, there would be 2 folders inside there, one for MacOS and one for Windows, and inside those folders are the .blps. From what I can gather, ModBuddy auto-creates them when you do something (haven't figured that out yet)... and of course I'm not even sure if they are required.........so if you have art working and you don't have any blps, then they must not be required?

10. HylianPanda

HylianPanda Chieftain

OK SO!

Here's what I found that worked. All my art is now appearing correctly and showing on all the right screens.

Using Josh's template after creating the folders and importing all the files you also gotta delete the mod.art.xml and import the one from the template. This causes everything to line up and work correctly. Not sure why this wasn't gone over in any of the tutorials I have seen. Hopefully this helps anyone who has been having this same issue.

11. kingchris20

Awesome! I'm going to try that out. Also, were you able to see if you have a "Platforms" folder and if you have any .blps in that folder?

12. HylianPanda

HylianPanda Chieftain

I don't have either of those.

kingchris20 likes this.
  13. kingchris20

I've managed to get most icons in the game, but there are a couple I can't seem to get in there. Those are in-game Civ Icons and Leader Icons.

Civ Selection Menu

Leader Icon – Yes

Civ Icon – Yes

Leader Background – Yes

Leader Image – Yes

UU Icon – Yes

UD Icon – Yes

Loading Screen

Leader Image – Yes

Leader Background – Yes

Civ Icon – Yes

UU Icon – Yes

UD Icon – Yes

In-Game

Leader Fallback – Yes

Leader Scene Background – Yes

Leader Icon – Yes

Civ Icon – Yes

UU Icon – Yes

UU Model – Yes

UD Icon – Yes

UD Model – Yes

Civ Flag on City Banner – Yes

Strategic View District Icons - No

Any ideas on what I might be missing that is causing the in-game icons not to show up? I have the unit and district Icons in the same xlp as my leader and civ icons, but those show up in game while the leader and civ icons do not.

EDIT: Well it was something stupid. I had the icon definitions set up as KC20_LEADER_AAA, but my Leader in the game defines was tagged as LEADER_KC20_AAA........same for the Civilization portion.....All seems to be working now

Except for the Strategic View District Icons.....still have to work those out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018