[MOD] Civ3 Evolution - Atlantean Chronicles

Madeira

Emperor
DOWNLOAD:

respective post

MOD WEBSITE

Civ3 Evolution website

Has unit and building/wonder information, besides other things. So I highly sugest you consult it as you play, at least until the civilopedia text is updated.

INTRODUCTION:

Hello all! Some of you may allready be aware of the mod im working on, but most probably dont. I feel the time has come to publicly anounce it and start posting some information and screenshots about it.

Screenshots and other stuff will be added and updated in the next few reserved posts, and as I update these posts I'll try to write new stuff in blue so you can easily identify changes if you dont follow the rest of the thread.

THE MOD:

Its called Civ3 Evolution, its a generic name because eventually after I finish the first scenario, I may make others with changes to the map and civs but using the same rules. Atlantean Chronicles is the name of the scenario, because the main idea is having an Atlantean civilization that wasnt destroyed like the legend says.

THE SCENARIO:

This will be a 4 era epic, with most civs starting at the stone or tool age. Its by no means historical, I use some creative license to put civs on the map that didnt exist at the time, but should be fun seeing them evolve or be destroyed.
The backstory is a "what if" scenario, in our history the end of the ice age started after a massive explosion of the krakatoa volcano (creative license?) and was later accelerated by a comet air burst over north america (known as the clovis comet) that caused further melting of the ice sheet and rise in sea levels, but the scenario takes place in an alternate history where the krakatoa volcano did explode causing the retreat of the eurasian ice sheet and some of the north american, but the clovis comet missed us so the north american ice sheet didnt retreat as far as it is today and the sea levels were from 50 to 100 meters lower than they are today. So yes, there are changes to the map not only to reflect lower sea levels but also a different climate at around 8000 years before present, that may be one of the reason that interests you to try this mod, there is a huge climate different in Africa and coastal differences mostly in Europe, the Caribean and Oceania, screenshots of the map will be posted below.

THE CIVS:

The scenario has both historical and fictional or hypothetical civs, three of them deserve special attention because of the alternate history:

The Atlanteans - being located near an enlarged Caribean, Atlantis itself is in an enlarged Florida. With the sea levels lower, their cities remain on the surface, and they're the most advanced civilization, having allready reached the bronze age (no mythological or sci fi stuff like crystals and flying ships). They depend on a colony in Crete (Knossos) for a source of copper since they have none near their capital and surrounding cities.

The Tamil - are located in their original homeland, the sunken island sub-continent of Mu that didnt suffer the catastrophe that broke it up and caused it to disapear beneath the sea and its people to migrate to southern India.

The Akansea - are a hypothetical north american civ that represent the evolution of the Clovis culture that was wiped out by the comet air burst, they continued to evolve and are at the same level as the mesoamerican and andean civs.

And many other civs will be affected by the map changes, interesting civs to play with or against by region to follow:

Europe - Britain is connected by land to France, and Scandinavia to Denmark, this makes Europe an interesting "playground" with the Picts in northern Britain, the Celts in France, Norse in Denmark and Scandinavia, Thracians and Scythians near the Black Sea, Hiber (Iberians/Tartessians) in the Iberic peninsula, Hesperia (Etruscans/Romans) in Italy and the Hellenes (Greeks) in Greece. There's also Atlantean colonies in Crete and Portugal to allow them to have contact with the mediterranean civs.

Africa - The climate is a lot different, the Sahara is about half the size and there are a few inland seas that dont exist now, I've read the Egyptians may have migrated from the sahara region before it turned to a desert but I kept the Egyptians in their standard location, with the Nubians below them, the Nile is partly navigatable and connects to the mediterranean. West of the Nubians are the Yoruba, who can take advantage of the fertile ground near the sahara sea, and the Libyans to the north.

Middle-east - Another world hot-spot, Sumerians, Akkadians, Elamites, Phoenicians, Persians, all very close to each other, then there are the Sabaeans in south Arabia, the Hittites in Anatolia, the Sindh (Harappa) in the Hindus river-valley, the Arya (Vedic Indians) in north India and the Tamil south of India.

Orient - Have its share of civilizations, the Zhongguo (Chinese), Joseon (Korean), Xiongnu (Huns), Wa (Japanese) and Yue (south Chinese, Vietnamese).

America - The continent with the smaller representation, the Atlanteans dominate technologically in Florida and the Caribean, the Akansea are in the north, Tamoanchan (meso americans) in the center and the Aymara (andean) in the south.

THE UNITS:

Thanks to unit makers like Sandris and many others, many civs have a good lineup of unique units, and many other units are shared by civs of the same region, no caucasian warriors for African civs for instances. Every civ has one Golden Age starter unit, and several featured units. I came up with formulas to help me play balance the units, different base attack and defense values depending on the weapon type, defense bonus for units using shields, hitpoint bonuses for armored units, etc. Each civ also has several bonuses for units of specific types, and this will affect the featured units I mentioned above, they're unique units that make use of a civ's bonuses.

THE TECHTREE:

Mostly redone, a bit confusing if you use the tech screen since there are no lines indicating the tech paths, but they're somewhat organized. There's a small change concerning the eras, there's no medieval age, there's the ancient age that goes to around the classical greek period, then there's the iron age that ends with Industrialization, the industrial age and the atomic age.

THE GOVERNMENTS:

There are some new governments, and some of them will have "religious" bonuses, allowing temple like city improvements to be built only when a specific government is in effect, other governments will have other non religious bonuses. Two big changes to government features are the tech rates and free military units, the tech rates will change to the opposite, the more despotic or fascist a government is, the higher the maximun tech rate, while the more democratic governments will have it smaller, this is to represent the power the ruler has to make these decisions, and free units per any city level will be drastically decreased while overall free units increased, this is a way to cause difficulties to large empires, they'd better have large economies to maintain the need to have their many cities well defended, this will have to be play balanced though because im afraid the AI would just go bankrupt, and there will be a government or two that will give some bonuses for large empires' free military while limiting other stuff.

THE TERRAIN:

The mod makes use of the LM terrain, there's Savannah which works like forests with different stats, Forested Hills which are better than regular Hills, Aridland which uses the same graphic as the desert unfortunately and allows roads to be built while deserts do not, Plateaus that are like mountains but allow roads to be built while mountains do not and many units cant cross mountains and plateaus without roads, and Ocean routes which is a sea-like terrain that allows pre-ocean faring ships to cross oceans, and at a faster speed than if they crossed the standard ocean terrain, making these routes usefull even in the modern eras while submarine units will ignore ocean move costs. Forests now dont give defensive bonus, they give the opposite, making them a good terrain for ambushing instead of fortifying.

SETTLERS AND WORKERS:

With the exception of the Sindh (Harappans) who can build a unique worker unit, workers and settlers are unbuildable! There are two types of worker units, Peasants which are auto built by a city improvement, have small offensive/defensive capabilities and 50% worker efficiency, and Slaves which may be created by certain victorious units and have 100% worker efficiency. There are also two ways to get settlers, one is through a battle created Leader that may yet be disabled because it would have to be a generic settler for every civ, another is by upgrading the peasant units costing from 250 to 500 gold, there's a way to do this using the "king" flag, it has been explained in other threads, if anyone is curious to find out how, just ask. Hurrying production for gold has been disabled so the AI will actually save some money for this and for trade, this has been tested and it works perfectly and its by far the best way to limit AI expantion, ensuring you have good chances of playing a full game without it taking 5 minutes to process a turn later in the game :)

THE SITE:

Work in the current version of this mod started in July/August, though I had lots of stuff done in previous mods that I imported to this one, but most of it was redone, and as I started working on the unit stats, I thought of setting up a site to help me get organized and have it work like a sort of a civilopedia, so it has information about every unit in the game, and stuff that helped me balance the stats and background information about the plot and features of the scenario.

Reserved for screenshots

Here are a few shots of sections of the map in the editor showing civs rough starting locations:

America:

Europe:

Africa and Middle-east:

Far east:

Reserved for requests

The Atlantean Cannal (better name someone?) Wonder to place in the city of Atlantis as well

DOWNLOAD BASE VERSION

Beta 3.0 (includes all previous patches)

DOWNLOAD INCREMENTAL PATCHES

Beta 3.2 (includes every patch after 3.0)

Attachments

• Civ3Evo b3.2.rar
    176.6 KB · Views: 420
You can start posting :)
Happy Valentine's day, im going out in a bit so may not be around much more today ;)

Wow...
It looks amazing so far!
I can't wait!
:goodjob:

Madeira, this looks very interesting and Atlantis and Mu always have a special magic appeal for me (and not only for me). :)

What´s the size of the map?

There still exists an old Atlantean leaderhead.

Thanks guys!
Civinator, the map is 300x300, original work by Hypnotech3 and updated by me, you can find it in the download database, but without the climate and coastline changes :)

You mean that old Atlas LH? Its single era I think, and I would rather use one of the elvish LHs but they're single era too :(

The website is open, here it is:
Civ3 Evolution website

You can find a more detailed introduction to the scenario there, as well as info on the civilizations and complete unit lineups with stats and all for the ancient age.
When everything for the ancient age is done, I'll release the first demo, right now I have to finish the oriental civ's unit lineups (could use another Sandris pack or two ;)), then work on adding some city improvements and wonders perhaps, then lots of work on the civilopedia.

I notice in your back story that the climate shattering volcano is called "Krakatoa". Sundaland has been a hot area for volcanic activity long enough that I'm pretty sure I can find a name for a volcano that erupted about the same era, in the same area.

Actually I got that idea from the site www.atlan.org, Prof. Santos uses the Krakatoa for a hypothetical eruption that triggered the end of the ice age. But if you can find something else thats more than hypothetical, then great ;)

I also noticed something that may be incorrect in Prof. Santos hypothesis, he says the explosion caused massive tsunamis that flooded the entire area, but if Sundaland was above the sea level at the time, wouldnt the Krakatoa be as well?

Actually I got that idea from the site www.atlan.org, Prof. Santos uses the Krakatoa for a hypothetical eruption that triggered the end of the ice age. But if you can find something else thats more than hypothetical, then great ;)

I also noticed something that may be incorrect in Prof. Santos hypothesis, he says the explosion caused massive tsunamis that flooded the entire area, but if Sundaland was above the sea level at the time, wouldnt the Krakatoa be as well?
The point I was trying to make was that Krakatoa exploded in the 19th c. but that there were several larger explosions in the area between about 70,000 - 7,000 BCE. Tsunami are caused by earthquakes. A supervolcano in a coastal area would definitely cause tsunami.

Top Bottom