[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

Alpha4 added in OP, alpha3 still there to test the previous gameplay.

Hoping they won't make the beta patch goes live tonight, as I won't be able to update until Monday...

Alpha4 added in OP, alpha3 still there to test the previous gameplay.

Hoping they won't make the beta patch goes live tonight, as I won't be able to update until Monday...
Is there any reason for alpha4 zip file to shrink twice the size of alpha3's?

yep, the backup file is only with alpha3.

yep, I had only time to update the map, sorry.

Would TCL (True Culture Locations) describe the mod clearly enough?

Would TCL (True Culture Locations) describe the mod clearly enough?
I really like the word unlock. It was good to include it in OP. Sounds like a challenge and not limitation.

Alpha4 did´t work anymore! I got crashes ... can not start the game anymore :shifty: (Version ...253)
Yes, I was wrong before... Steam pushed Amplitudes patch and alpha4 was overwritten by the new patch, that's why I thought it all works. Installing alpha4 again does not even allow the game to start!

So, I have some reflections on "loosing non-historical territory" while switching cultures. Since latest patch made alpha4 impossible to play with -- I simulated break up of my Umayyad Empire into Spanish and Umayyad rebels ( I liberated cities just before culture selection after creating some Settlers). Liberating 5 very developed cities was VERY punishing for choosing to continue as Spanish. I could no longer pay for my units and game has no way to disband them if there is no outpost around. Science when from 3 turns to 15. Settlers do provide 29 instant infrastructure items to the new cities from the last 3 ears -- that's a great synergy between loosing old cities and gaining new ones given the punishment for too many cities. Developing land in the virgin territories of New World is pretty fun and realistic, but it is still very hard to recover from losses. So, compensation mechanics needs to be very generous, more so for AI because alpha4 will severely punish inept Ai which is already lagging behind. But overall switching cultures reminds me RFC mechanics where you can switch to the new civilization while leaving the old one in hands of AI. So I propose the following:

1. Upgrade the outpost on the territory containing real-life capital of new culture to a city with all the infrastructure from previous eras.
2. Do not lose any territories on the same continent as the core of the new culture.
3. For every city lost on the other continents spawn a settler/urban crew near new capital
4. Compensate a player with Gold, Influence and Science based on difficulty, being AI or human and also based on Empire yields just before it broke up. Perhaps 10*yields right before culture switch will be fair baseline.

I have kept my Steam account in Offline mode, so I have been able to test Alpha 4 without interference from the patch. No crashes.

Similar issues to @Tigranes , it can be difficult to lose your core cities - a sort of heat map which shows which territories you will inherit might be useful to help decide whether or not to transcend. It was mostly guesswork as to whether or not to transcend or switch, I just did it to see what would happen.

So stay as Ottomans or switch to Russians at the end of Early Modern Period?
Spoiler Ottomans :
upload_2021-9-18_21-58-28.png

Knowing that most of the empire was going to collapse (Hattusa, Assur, Dimasq, Harappa and Pataliputra), I stalled the decision and pre-placed large armies near Hattusa and Dimasq-Pata-Hara, then switched to Russians. I was able to reconquer the empire and move the capital back to Hattusa in around 14 turns:
Spoiler Russia :
upload_2021-9-18_22-2-58.png

During that period, parts of the empire could have fallen to other opportunistic factions (without diplo penalty to them) and probably led me to get drawn into another war. Obviously a human player would be much more likely to take advantage of the civil war period. I also gained 6 stars from the reconquest, which is quite a lot. I'm definitely not ready for the Russian Revolution just yet so will probably stall the decision again. Some population and infrastructure was lost but this was expected.

Some of the most difficult opponents to deal with were the rebel factions (an isolated rebel Zhou city - Hippo Regius above in Siberia) presented the biggest challenge and took 4 combined armies to conquer.

Overall I think the core concept works (as its very similar to RFC). The main issue is that there needs to be some balancing - for starters - should the rebel cities get their own armies?

Is there anyway to get version 3.5 with all the updated territories from alpha4 but without loosing them. At least for AI. Humans can do self imposed challenges, AI is struggling as is.

AI is having a really hard time with unlocking cultures. I suggest you go very liberal in assigning territories to those 1-2 territory cultures, using the greatest extent approach. For example Huns can practically overlap with Mongols Eurasian_steppe_belt.jpg.

Player 8 should become Xiongnu/Hun and later Mongol. Anyone in Europe except Germany can become Celts or Romans, entire Alexander's empire can offer a Greek culture. In a word, please use the most liberal interpretation, otherwise multiple AI stays Assyrian for many eras. With 10 players Colombian AI practically has no chance unlocking anything until Spanish, so yet another Assyrian, this time in South America. Might as well have Huns harassing Zhou.

Last edited:
Might be a dumb question. Is there a way to change change the spot I spawn in? Or will it be in africa everytime?

Havnt been able to play test it yet, but was hoping to try it later on this week.

AI is having a really hard time with unlocking cultures. I suggest you go very liberal in assigning territories to those 1-2 territory cultures, using the greatest extent approach. For example Huns can practically overlap with Mongols View attachment 609760.

Player 8 should become Xiongnu/Hun and later Mongol. Anyone in Europe except Germany can become Celts or Romans, entire Alexander's empire can offer a Greek culture. In a word, please use the most liberal interpretation, otherwise multiple AI stays Assyrian for many eras. With 10 players Colombian AI practically has no chance unlocking anything until Spanish, so yet another Assyrian, this time in South America. Might as well have Huns harassing Zhou.
I've note updated this for the 10 players map yet, I'll unlock the Olmec for slot 9-10

Might be a dumb question. Is there a way to change change the spot I spawn in? Or will it be in africa everytime?

Havnt been able to play test it yet, but was hoping to try it later on this week.
Just create a private multiplayer game and "join" on another slot.

Olmecs actually did ok on 10 player map with loss of territory alpha5. They evolved to Maya and then Aztecs. There was a game breaking problem though. The player that starts in Greece decided to chose Norseman, even though there were Norseman already. That made them to loose all the cities and capital was created in Norway overlapping with an outpost. It made it impossible for me to proceed. I cannot even upload save here because civfanatics do not allow HK extensions...

Last edited:
Top Bottom