1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Mod Development] Diplomacy Insults

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Kailric, Jul 16, 2009.

?

Do you want to tell the King where to put his ring?

1. Yes, I would love to.

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. Nay, not for me. Long live the King!

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

Haven't you always wanted to tell the King where he could stick his pinky ring? Well I plan to make a mod where you can do just that :goodjob: You want have to play Mr. Nice Guy any more. One thing I have always wanted to change was when you first meet another Civ the only option you have is "There will be peace in our time." Haven't you always wanted to say something else? What if you planned to annihilate them and really wanted to tell them so.

Some Civs I literally hate and would much rather say something like, "I plan to raid your villages and fondle your women!"(May not be appropriate for the kiddos). Alas, insults don't come without a price. Leaders will remember what you have said to them and it will impact their attitude toward you. This would be a good way to get opponents to want to attack you as well if you are all about War!

I have made one change so far. In my Mod Privateers, Pirates, and Buccaneers when ever you loose a ship the king will now give you the option to let him send you another and raise taxes or...

Btw, In the next update to my Mod you will be able to "steal a canoe" :)

This Diplomacy Insults Mod will be separate from my mentioned mod, a mod to its self. But if anyone has any suggestions on what could be said please feel free to tell us here or send a message.

Cheers!

insult3.jpg

insult.jpg

2. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Diplomacy definately needs a good kick up the arse! Any chance you could work on the bartering/hagling within the game? If you try and trade something in the game the computer won't exept even 1 gold more/less than what he asks for! :(

Would be good to see things like this /\/\ effect other nations desire to trade/offers with you.

3. Kailric

Yeah, I know what you mean. That has always annoyed me as well. There could be a Maximum price they would be willing to pay and a Asking price and then depending on mutiple factors, their Attitude towards you, past deals, and such would all effect how much of the Asking price you could go up by. "Ok, ok, you been good to us, we will give you 12 gold per barrel of Rum... but no more!"

I will look into that. Diplomacy is mostly handed in Python and I am just getting my feet wet there.

4. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Interesting that you quote it like that. The AI always offers you a net figure, not a per unit figure which I find strange and always end up trying to work out the per unit equivalent. Yeah I know you can easily see what the net worth of what your trading is
    but mousing over on the transport, but often forget to do that before I enter the trade screen.

5. Kailric

Again, I know what you mean. That always aggrivated me too. I was to lazy to go back and see the actual price was. I just looked at the code its not an easy fix for me. But if I can mod that fix I'll post it for you.

6. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Cool, but no hurries, you've got enough bigger and better irons in your fire that i'm eager to see progress! What you doing up at this time anyway??!

7. Kailric

Yeah, it was like 11 last night when I posted that and I did need to be in bed. But I got up this morning thinking about this and wondering if I could figure it out. And I pretty much did:

You can mouse over you items now and it will give you the Europe Sell value factoring in Taxes. For those of us who are mathematicly challeged like myself you can see in the pic that the current tax rate would be 2% as 237 * 11 = 2607 - 2%Tax (or 52) = 2555. In other words Goatcheese there is trying to rip you off :lol:

I could have it show the tax rate as well. But later on when taxes is high Goatcheese
    may give you the better deal.

Attached Files:

8. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Cool, it was about 3/4 am here!! Love that you did that already, you're getting up in Dale/Snoopy/Koma's heady heights of Col-awesomeness! :)

Could you also make it so on his offer it calculates and displays what his offer is worth per unit?? Not too worried about seeing the tax rate there myself. :):goodjob:

9. Kailric

To bad, I just added Tax Rate :)

But I thought of that also with the offer per unit, seems like you and I want to play the same Colonization:goodjob:

That maybe a bit more tricky as there is no actual "Unit" on his side of the table when you mouse over, its just gold. But I'll look into it when I get home this evening. K, off to work.

Attached Files:

10. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Well i'm not gonna complain about you doing more than I asked!! :D Have a good day at work! :goodjob:

Edit: Btw, there's something wrong with the calculations there. Tax should be 150 gold shouldn't it?

11. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Prince

Whoa
    That's cool!:eek:

Nice job, and good luck kailric :goodjob:

12. I-am-a-panda

I-am-a-panda

Good add-on. In terms of the insults, you should have three options: Give in to the king (Please him, +1 relations), Deny him (Angers him, -1 relations) , or Insult him (Angers the King, -2 relations and slightly increases Rebel sentiment e.g. +1%). Thoughts?

13. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Yeah, and kissing the ring should slow down ref increases. Atm there's no incentive for kissing the ring, only reason's to not not kiss it, if you get what i mean.

Anyway, I'm off on hols for 2 weeks, looking forward to catching up with your work when I get back Kailric :):)

14. I-am-a-panda

I-am-a-panda

Well then, how about 4 options:

1) Give into king and then some (Give him 10% extra E.g. he asks for 800, you pay 880, he raises your taxes by 5%, they go up by 6%). Results in +2 relations with King, slows down REF build up 100% for 10 turns, -1% Rebel sentiment.

2) Give into King. Results in +1 relations with King.

3) Refuse King. Results in -1 relations with the King.

4) Insult King. Results in -2 relations with the King, increases REF build up 100% for 10 turns and gives +2% rebel sentiment

15. Kailric

Cool, yeah I was thinking there needed to be one more option for when you feel sorry for the guy and just want to make him feel good about himself. You know, even tyrannical kings need love to. Numbers like that are easier to Mod in than anything else really. Right now he just asks for Gold and raises your taxes right? So adding 4 options to that want be that time consuming either cause there is 2 options already :) Thanks for the input, duly noted.

16. Kailric

I just noticed what you said. Yeah, it should be 150. Will have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: I fixed the bug and here is new look:

Notice the word "Contraband", goods that you can not sale to Europe anymore will be labled as such.

Attached Files:

17. Nixeh

Nixeh Chieftain

kailric, is it possible to chuck in extra options into diplomacy like showing live map which has the benefits of showing a ally (in this case a human player) what you can see all the time.

Me and a mate have always wanted to share our maps but dont want to be allies and share trade routes.

18. Kailric

Hmm, that sounds feasible. It would be just like each turn auto sharing maps right? Right now you can do diplomacy to share maps so having this set up to do automatically does not seem like a problem. I can check into it.

19. Nixeh

Nixeh Chieftain

No not like that. You know if you are on a team with someone or a permanent alliance and you can see the inside of their towns and all that. can we just have that as like live map?

20. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Back from hols. That is pretty sweet :) Cant wait for the new ver. New mod sounds interesting too!