1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod freezes forever

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by ZergMazter, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ZergMazter

ZergMazter Prince

I dont know if this is related to my own fun mod, but it has brought my current game to a standstill.

I've decently modified my own mod and 1 thing i learned, if you screw up it will crash, so you will always know.

However whats up with this picture?

Im in the modern age playing just fine. I press enter to go to the next turn and 1 minute later it still says 'please wait'. 5 mins later it still says 'please wait'. I go eat my dinner and 20 mins later it still says 'please wait'. What the heck!!!??? Its more like freezing and it doesnt make any sense. This is the first time this happens to me. I dont wanna just ignore it and keep playing new games risking that happening again.

Is anyone experienced with bugs and glitches familiar with what im talking about? Its like a turn that never ends. How can i fix this?

2. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

In the past I have had (w/my old machine) 4hr. inter-turns. I'm not suggesting it is acceptable, but it does happen. Try disabling trade, then run the same inter-turn.

3. ZergMazter

ZergMazter Prince

Disable trade? Well thats a new one... You mean like stopping trade from harbors and airports?

Also i got a Lenovo gaming machine lol. Im able to play some of the most extreme games, but it freezes on a 2d engine game? Must be the way the game is made conflicting with itself.

4. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Does the UI still animate or is everything frozen? If you load a save from a few turns earlier will it happen at the same point? There are a couple things that can cause the game to actually get stuck rather than crash. Units that upgrade to each other (the editor won't let you set it explicitly but it can happen), and... something about mobility and loading. Maybe a few others.

5. ZergMazter

ZergMazter Prince

Yep it keeps freezing and stay stuck in a transitioning turn. Im gonna have to start over with my whole mod since i dont know what the hell... Sadly im not gonna add all the flavors and will make a generic version of my current mod. I spent about 2 months making it just perfect for me to play so that it can freeze now in the modern era for no reason lol...:wallbash:

6. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I often play regicide games - including personal modifications of other scenarios. When a civ is wiped out there is an especially long interturn because the game engine is recomputing all those now defunct trade routes - takes quite a while to test every possible combination of tiles for 20+ missing cities.

I would imagine that if the AI is razing cities it would have a similar effect.

7. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

ZergMazter, besides the reasons explained in the posts above, there are some other very important reasons for "freezings" of the game.

For example the start of my mod CCM had a delay of more than one year cause of freezes of the game. In the second half of the CCM (epic mod) preview thread many of these freezes are described ranging from freezes caused by pathfinding bugs of the AI when stacks contain units with limited movement by the "wheeled"-flag, to freezes of the game caused by wrong graphics of a unit up to strange forms of attack by a unit with the wheeled flag into a terrain that is forbidden for that unit (here only a freeze of that unit is happening, not of the complete game).

To find the causes of the freeze is unfortunately mostly a very time-consuming procedure. If not running the game in the DEBUG-mode, you sometimes can watch the reason of the freeze by stealing the military plans of a civilization and watching their movements. Another methode to know that it is a freeze caused by pathfinding-problems of the AI could be to do something completely different in turns before the turn with the freeze and than the game is not freezing, as the AI does other movements that don´t trigger the freeze.

In my experience most freezes in the interturn-phase of the game result from conflicts of the AI by movement-limitations by the wheeled flag and forbidden terrain for that unit. This can even happen when a ship has these movement limitations and a ship transports a unit that doesn´t have the movement limitation for the landterrain that is bordering the watertile of the ship.

8. ZergMazter

ZergMazter Prince

Civinator! Lol i think you just saved my life. I was ready to call the quits and just go try civ 4 again... Now that u mention it I added the wheeled flag to many units to stop them form entering mountain but they end up still entering with a road i found. I also happen to put some restrictions on my naval ships by increasing the movement req of certain terrains so that some ships are better than other in certain terrain.

Now that u mention... the very last thing i saw before my game froze for 30 mins was a Hittite transport moving on my screen and then everything went to hell. So what would u suggest lol? remove all wheeled flags? Do u know if the same issues apply to naval units when i allow them to ignore the mov cost of certain terrains but not others? Thanks a lot lolz...

Wow modding civ 3 turned out to be quite a project im not willing to repeat. Next time i will just modify some rules and add units within the rules of the original game.

9. ZergMazter

ZergMazter Prince

Yes yes yes and thats why for the first time i enabled auto-save from now on. Doing it manually and i had no way to escape the freeze. Now i have a history of saved games and maybe go 2-4 turns back to try and skip the freeze. Man thx a lot