Mod How-To Demo: Automation from the Start

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
This is how to make a simple mod, so that you can use Scout and Worker automation from the start of the game.

Step 1, create a new blank Mod from the Mod manager.

upload_2021-8-10_21-33-1.png

Step 2, fill in the details of the Mod and press "SAVE LOCAL CHANGES" to create the ModInfo.xml file. Exit Old World after doing this.

upload_2021-8-10_21-45-50.png

Step 3, this is where we go to the explorer window that would have opened. In the explorer window, create an Infos folder.

upload_2021-8-10_21-46-55.png

Step 4, find the Old World reference folder in the Install Location (C:\Program Files\Epic Games\OldWorld\Reference\XML). Copy the file "effectPlayer.xml" to the Infos folder. Rename it to "effectPlayer-change.xml". We use 'change' here as we will change one of the items.

upload_2021-8-10_21-50-48.png

Step 5, open the file in a text editor (I will use notepad for this). Delete EVERYTHING from the file EXCEPT FOR the following. EFFECTPLAYER_BASE is the starting effects every player has at game start.

upload_2021-8-10_21-52-11.png

Step 6, add the two automate tags. NOTE: Order of the tags is important!

upload_2021-8-10_21-53-54.png

Step 7, save the file, open Old World and turn your Mod on via the Mod Manager.

upload_2021-8-10_21-55-44.png

Step 8, PLAY! Your Scouts and Workers can now automate from the start.

upload_2021-8-10_21-57-13.png

For reference, I uploaded the Mod so you can all check it out. :)

upload_2021-8-10_22-2-50.png

Thanks!!! But do you really use notepad?? That's the only confusing part of this tutorial. :D

Yeah I do actually. I find it's the "purest" editor, as in it doesn't add extra header/footer info, change tabs to spaces, or anything else like that.

Yeah I do actually. I find it's the "purest" editor, as in it doesn't add extra header/footer info, change tabs to spaces, or anything else like that.
Please tell me you didn't develop Old World on notepad :D
Any decent editor or IDE can be configured for increased purity too, i.e. to not change spaces to tabs and to not add or remove stuff.

Please tell me you didn't develop Old World on notepad :D
Any decent editor or IDE can be configured for increased purity too, i.e. to not change spaces to tabs and to not add or remove stuff.

I did for this mod, but when I'm "working" it's all Unity and Visual Studio.

Top Bottom