MOD Idea: American Civil War

lol. okay well if he doesn't (and hopefully he will) I can do some of that

okay so I will commit to city reviewing/placing/placement accuracy, and resources. What is your current system for placing cities?

edit: back at quarter to ten

YES, thats the answer I'm looking for. Most the cities are placed, I don't want to go overboard out west of the mississippi, but there probably need to be a couple more cities. Resource placement would be great as well. I am still unsure of some of my city placements out east as well.

I'm gonna take a little break, but I can finish up some things tonight and go ahead and upload a new version so that is available for you to work on.

edit: my current system for placing cities/resources.... This and worldbuilder. Btw, that map site is the bomb. Honestly I should post it in map utilities and it should be stickied. Best free collection of all the maps you could dream of in the world. 137 American Civil War maps alone. I haven't counted but I'd guess there tens of thousands of maps on that site for all areas of the world, some are even resource maps ;)

cool, its no rush ;)

kevinman - I didn't forget about you... I ended up having to work this morning, so I went to bed early last night. I'm still laid off, I actually have 3 jobs, but I'm laid off from 2, and the other one is extreme part time, like once a month, so I'm still working on the mod like its my job.

I've been sorting through all my unit arts and trying to get them all sorted out, I'll be uploading a new file for you soon. At least in the next few days if not sooner.

I just realized I already have an african american union soldier too, so I may have to work that in.

here's some land units, I hope to find some more art around here somewhere and add more eventually. Though I do have a little more than this sitting around somewhere.

thanks to bernie14 and all the other CivFanatics artist :)

I don't have enough art to make every single unit unique, but I'll do my best mixing and matching mesh groups and formation types eventually to make each unit unique. I say this cause for example every single rifleman type for the union will look like that one shown. Well except for a special one thats not shown. I think it looks pretty good anyways, but I could definitively use more art for all the european nations and mexico, and more cannons.

All these changes are reflected in all the art files and the unitartstyles already... i think my unitartstyles file might rival VD's, though some of the art is repetitive. As i said, I try to doctor it up with mesh groups and unit formations soon.

I'll have a presentable upload for you soon kev or anyone else interesting in checking out the progress.

it looks amazing!

I would reccomend sticking to what you just said, releasing something, then after if you want we can get some unique art going.

Strangely the thing I am probably best at is unit art, so if you need important unit art (ie mexicos, europe, cannons, again the uniqueness can come later) let me know as that becomes a priority. But I really need to get more work done on unit art for my mod at some point haha

Looking forward to the upload!

if you can just do some simple weapons swaps that would be a great start... well later on once the art is maybe more of an issue. I learned how once, but I've forgot how to do it now, I even uploaded a rifled musket unit and somebody gave me 5 stars, so apparently it works pretty nice.

I actually have blender, python, and nifskope already installed, I just need to start toying with it again sometime... but like you said, later after a playable release is done.

the more ideas I get the more crazy this all starts getting... after talking more about art, I started messing with some of the unit arts some more... I finally found the color changer feature in PS and I think having mostly unique outfits may be possible after all. Just little subtle changes like below:

combine color changes like that with some weapons swaps and i think we're in business for all the art :D

Looking good.

Are there going to be scripted events? And if so can you give some examples? Just to wet the appetite.

yeah, on that note, I am guessing your ceding states could either be python or event

and really weapon swapping is so darn easy after doing it once or twice, I bet you'll be fine with it, but if you need any done let me know

Kevin

yea, I plan on some scripted events. The game begins week 1, march 1861, the exact week that Lincoln takes office in real history. At this time, only 7 states, have ceded, so for turns 1-6, 4 other states will cede, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Virginia. When Virginia cedes, I want the confederate capitol to move from Montgomery AL, to Richmond, VA, and then I think it would be at turn 7, there will be forced war between the union and the confederates.

I also want to eventually try to implement the "alignment feature" of the American Revolution mod made by john shafer. Its pretty hairy to get into all the details, but basically every turn, alignment will increase for all the european nations... there will be a set alignment threshold, and if/when any of those civs get over that alignment threshold, they will declare war on the union. I want to tie this to the already existing "foreign intervention" technology, (that btw is only available to the confederates :)), so that after they have researched that, they either give a flat bonus of alignment to the europeans, or their every turn alignment bonus would increase.

that part with alignment will come much later if at all, but ideally that's along the lines of what I want to do.

Also there will be some random events, and some events that occur for example only when something happens, and others that occur on the same date no matter what, like the first examples of the succession. This of course if I don't go crazy messing with all this python first :crazyeye:

uploading a new version right now. Still got like 30 minutes to go so wait a bit if you read this soon. The scenario is not really playable still, I'm uploading so kevinman can do his magic for a bit while I continue to work on some other things that won't affect the map.

The core of the game is basically done except some buildings and some events, that will get taken care of soon. I'll probably add some more units eventually, but most if not all of the core units are there.

Still need to do some balancing, techs are probably too cheap, and some I want to make some even more expensive relatively anyhow. This is the type of stuff that will be fixed next time, along with the map. :)

I recommend you delete the old American Civil War folder, and just extract this one to the Mods/ folder, cause there were a couple files that were removed.

awesome, downloading now!

edit: haha, this is actually gonna be a ton of fun for me, you gave me lots to work with!

thanks kevinman:) As you can probably see if you look around in the civlopedia or play with worldbuilder, it is quite developed as of now ;) I can see the finish line

Also thought I'd add I'm getting the victory conditions and stuff set up. Its gonna pretty much be like the Warlords Mod, Rise of Rome, where all nations start with 0 points. The way RoR works is that there are "colored victory resources" that are placed on the map. When the game is launched, it removes the human players victory resources so that you have to fight to earn some to win...

I've looked at the code and figured out how it all works, and the victory conditions will pretty much be exactly like that except for only have 1 victory resource per civ, there will be at least 2 or 3.

Also thought I'd add I'm getting the victory conditions and stuff set up. Its gonna pretty much be like the Warlords Mod, Rise of Rome, where all nations start with 0 points. The way RoR works is that there are "colored victory resources" that are placed on the map. When the game is launched, it removes the human players victory resources so that you have to fight to earn some to win...

I've looked at the code and figured out how it all works, and the victory conditions will pretty much be exactly like that except for only have 1 victory resource per civ, there will be at least 2 or 3.
I've wanted to do that in my personal games but I don't know code.:sad:

sorry for no updates lately. After uploading the latest version, I added a few things, but really haven't done much the last few days. I started playing around with the killmeRevDCM mod, which I might add its absolutely fantastic. Its basically the same "guts" as ACW, with none of the civil war content... all bts content.

if you read this killmeplease, you should really consider releasing it as its own mod, maybe with a few more small adjustments to bts stuff that fireaxis got wrong.

Anyhow, I mostly just wanted to comment to killmeplease that this is great, and I'll be working more on the mod this week.

Also kevinman any news on the resource placements and such? It would be a real boost to my motivation to get this map more completed.

I have compiled the references I need to complete it. I delayed actually starting in order to see why I couldn't load mods in mapview (I actually work in mapview as opposed to in-game, when a piece of land is this size it's really hard to do a similarly good job)

I don't think he's responding so I'm just gonna go ahead and do it in-game... I will get to work when I get back to my usual residence Sunday and I will be done before I start my final exams which are fast approaching. I'm also really fast at this sort of stuff (fast yet accurate!)

best of luck!

mostly done Southern/Eastern USA/Eastern CAN, Caribbean, central america

also, what references were you gonna use for resource placement? The more the better; it's a little sparser than I'd like atm EDIT: nvm, found it back a few posts

Lemon should be renamed citrus fruit
Apples should be renamed fruit
Why are pearls featured?

You will be on your own with some resources (alcohol, steel, parts, textiles, shrimp, etc etc anything that isn't a resource per say)

I would highly reccomend me adding Nickel as opposed to some of the weaker resources... could use it in Canada, Caribbean, etc. It is a reskin just like lead, and can be used for currency

The Mexican Cuirassier/Cavalry you are using in the screen is wrong. That is the American Cuirassier I made a while ago, which is based on Bernie's Mexican Cuirassier (and thus called mexcu.nif). Bernie's is way better and definitely accurate.

Top Bottom