Mod Idea: American Civil War

candle

Prince

Just thinking here, how hard would it be to implement a Civil War mod.

Star the game in the year 1850, and have the goal be to be a southern state and declear independance by 1861. The current system would work for this just fine. Include in the rules somewhere that once the south declares independance a new unit is unlocked as Confederate Regular. The long term goal isnt conquest but to simply hold out past the year 1865, with the game ending in 1866.

Leaving trade in europe would make sense and wouldnt require a massive change.

For the south replace indutured servant with slaves.

Combat Units to add maybe or as an upgarde

Sniper (increased sight range and damage due to higher accuracy)
Officer (increases the strength of all units)
Union Calvary same setup as the Emperial dragoons
Union Army same setup as Regulars

Confederate Calvary comes with Vetran II
Confederate Army comes with Vetran II

Remove the Gallon and Caravel as these ships had fallen out of use by this time, also remove man-o-war and Privateer

Keep Frigate and Ship of the Line

Add Iron Clad
Brig
Blockade Runner (for confederates only, can evade frigates, brigs, and ships of the line)
Trade allowed during The War with Europe but with a 50% reduced rate in goods value to simulate the confederate forces trading with mexico and south america instead of Europe at this time, also the north AI would need a tweak to setup blockades.

Blackade Runner should only care 2 goods

Replace Wagon Train with Steam Engine, and add a road upgrade to rail once a road has been built, or possibly allow road and raid to be built together. Rail should carry 6 goods but require a rail line if possible to implement

just some basic ideas, id do this myself, but the last game i modded was Civ2 and wasnt that good

*edit added an image lol

Ok been giving it some thought on resources ect here
Food
Gold Ore
Iron Ore
Cotton
Tabacco
Sugar
Timber
Furs
Cattle
Coal
Horse

These would be made into
Gold -> Gold Bars
Iron -> Refined Iron -> Tools
\
-> Muskets -> Sniper Rifles
/
Cattle
\
-> Salt Peter
/
Coal
cotton -> Clothes
tabacco -> Cigars
Sugar -> Refined Sugar
Timber -> Lumber
Furs -> Leather

Breakdown of course is the North would have most of the ores meaning the south would have to import or conquer a northern mining town to keep up supplies

A sniper rifle would be used to create snipers ill explain my concept on that later

The South would control cotton, sugar, and and Tabacoo meaning if the north wanted these they have to take those towns

Lumber would be in both along with cattle

Saltpeter is made from manure according to wikipedia so your harvesting poop for the nitrates lol

Building Ideas would be these to handle these

Blacksmith House processes only iron and only 1
Blacksmith's Shop processes only iron and only 2
Forge process's 12Iron + 1Gold

Pasture ect work the same except
Ranch creates 12 horses + 3 Salt Peter

Armory ect remain the same except
Arsonel creats 12Muskets + 1 Sniper Rifle

the rest remains unchanged building wise
Add Telegraph after printing press net bonus +12% Liberty Bells

Units

Sniper takes 75 rifles (an arsonel can make 3 with 3 gunsmiths so you cant make alot of snipers)
Movement takes 3 turns per tile, 2 over road, 1 over rail
Can not evade
0 Defense when attacked, 4 defense when attacking (if possible but defense should be low
attack able to 1 shot any ground unit
Special unit for picking off units
2 turns between attack

Simply an elite unit but slow like any sniper

no one interested in this, i can help with some XML work but not much good with modeling units ect

I can help with Ideas:

Union: Industrial: +25% Hammers in all cities

Abraham Lincoln: Charismatic - No work penalties for workers; -50XP needed for promotions

Ulysses Grant: Tactical - Free Grenadier I for all grounds units ; +1 cargo space for all ships (He led many assaults and often utilised river boats as transport)

Andrew Johnson [Vice-President] : Productive - +25% production of manufactured goods; -50% Tools for all buildings (He organised the Reconstruction)

Confederacy: Planter - +1 Tobacco, Gold, etc. (raw materials) on plots with 4 Raw Materials

Jefferson Davis: Orderly - -25% cost to hurry production; Captured Cities suffer half anarchy time

Robert E. Lee: Martial = +50% Great General Emergence; +50% Strength to armed slaves (He supported the use of Armed Slaves)

Alexander Stephens [Vice President]: Charitable - -25% Food needed per citizen; Units heal 100% faster (He was known as a charitable man)

love it, now if i can find someone that can model new units and find a good walkthrough on python lol

love it, now if i can find someone that can model new units and find a good walkthrough on python lol

Lol, I'd recommend hitting up Dale for that advice.

Are you going to include foreign powers? E.g. Mexico and Britain

Canada can represent Britain, as well as being able to sail east to England. However, for the sake of it, make them two separate nations with a permanent alliance. Queen Victoria or possibly Prime Minister Henry Temple, as the monarchs power at the time were being limited, could be the leader of England, whilst Canada can be ruled by Governer-General Charles Monck

At the time, Mexico was changing rulers and governments faster than Lady Gaga changes outfits. However, you can settle on Benito Juárez as the Mexican president.

To the West you could have Native Americans tribes. Just a few though:

Creek - Led by Opothleyahola

Cherokee - Led by John Ross

well the south after the war started only traded with mexio, while the north traded with europe. What would need to happen is to remove TAX's period from the game, except when Civil War starts it triggets a 50% instant tax to the south

You should have a system that different places have different tax rates e.g. Mexico has a tax rate of 13%, and Canada has one of 6%, so it's worth to travel to shop in Canada.

Of course, the tax system is always changing, and [if possible] should be for specific good groups (E.g. Gold ore, Iron ore, and Coal have a different tax to Sugar, Food, Tobacco and Cotton)

You should have a system that different places have different tax rates e.g. Mexico has a tax rate of 13%, and Canada has one of 6%, so it's worth to travel to shop in Canada.

Of course, the tax system is always changing, and [if possible] should be for specific good groups (E.g. Gold ore, Iron ore, and Coal have a different tax to Sugar, Food, Tobacco and Cotton)

well they would have to frozen and somehow seperate from America's tax but I wouldnt intend for the Union to be playable in this mod either, so there mechanics I would want to work diffrent, but if i started them off flithly rich they could pay the same tax as the south. The interesting part is resources will be limited, I wouldnt want the map to go any further west than Texas, to focus on the real events of the war. And if possible have all settlements prepalced and disallow building of new ones if possible to simulate the actual war. Putting the mines in the hands of the north, meaning the south couldnt build as much, also all northern Cities would have a minimum of a Teir2 with major Cities having full factories already, while the south has teir 1 buildings to start with to simulate the massive industrial advantage placed with the north. Also limit growth in the south so the north also has an arms advantage in number of militia it can recruit. I would want this to be as close to the 1860's as i could so that it would truley be a challange to win this war.

one thought did come to mind, because of the focuse on the game mechanics I could set home country to the United States and instead upon WoI only trading is done with natives aka the Mexicans lol or via the warehouse option for a really reduced rate. How this would work per say is set a Europe square infront on New York City on the map but make travel time to Europe say 1 turn per say. Artifically simulate that. And because america is the home country there cities ect would already be fully established with a formidable military force ready to be made

You should be able to trade with the Union until you rebel. Then you turn to Mexico, Canada, etc. The Union, Mexico, GB, and Canada should have different tax rates. The natives have no taxes, but have limited gold. When you rebel, the Union attempts to blockade you. Remember the confederacy involved GB alot:

- They hired ships (The SS Alabama) from GB as they lacked proper shipbuilding facilities
- They petitioned for foreign intervention. If GB and Canada had the permanent alliance, they could wreak havoc on the North, dividing troops and subsequently allowing you to win.

Will the Union have cities or just be like Europe?

There should be the option to play as the union. It took me a while to figure out those traits :sad:

If trading and foreign intervention is involved, allow me to introduce a new leader:

James Bulloch
: Impressionable: -25% cost for recruiting foreign units; +100% Relations boost from trading

You should be able to trade with the Union until you rebel. Then you turn to Mexico, Canada, etc. The Union, Mexico, GB, and Canada should have different tax rates. The natives have no taxes, but have limited gold. When you rebel, the Union attempts to blockade you. Remember the confederacy involved GB alot:

- They hired ships (The SS Alabama) from GB as they lacked proper shipbuilding facilities
- They petitioned for foreign intervention. If GB and Canada had the permanent alliance, they could wreak havoc on the North, dividing troops and subsequently allowing you to win.

Will the Union have cities or just be like Europe?

There should be the option to play as the union. It took me a while to figure out those traits :sad:

If trading and foreign intervention is involved, allow me to introduce a new leader:

James Bulloch
: Impressionable: -25% cost for recruiting foreign units; +100% Relations boost from trading

well I would like to trade with someone else after the war except one minor issue I can see Im not entirley sure you can change your home country mid game. And thus void the WoI totally.

You wouldn't have to. Simply create The Southern Union states for troops to launch from and after that Europe tiles (Renamed North). Whilst in peacetime, you can travel to Canada or New York (Choose from a drop down menu), Tiles to the south would be for Mexico and Eastern tiles for Britain. You would also have to engineer it so that you have to pay tax when trading with the Border Union towns. The west could simply contain a few reservations to trade with natives, who lack tax rates but have limited ca$h.

ok wanna pull units from here, if i get authors premission to use the units, how would i go about this?

Top Bottom