Mod Idea: Resource Tonnage

Corvex

Emperor of Canada
I think that certain resources should have only finite quantities, of which only a few tonnes are extracted by mining each turn. Rather than trading entire resources to your neighbours, then, you commit yourself to selling them a few tonnes of that resource every turn.
Different units could cost different amounts of resources. For example, it may cost one tonne of iron to train a swordsman, but three tonnes to train a train a knight, and different governments could allow the extraction of varing amounts of a resource. Additionally, renewable resources, such as horses or grain, could be essentially infinite.
And, I might add, that if a special unit were required for shipping these resources, then piracy against such a unit could add a whole new dimension to gameplay.

Is it a good idea? Is it even possible? (I'm not a modder, so I don't know).

I'am afraid not, The best you can do is to spit existing strategic resources into seperate resource, which give some production bonus and/or gold bonus with certain buildings. For example, you can split the default Oil resource into 4 seperate Oil resource, which can all be used for the construction of oil units, but generate additional gold/shields bonuses depending on the number of oil resources. Allthough this might not be exactly what you want, it will give an aditional dimention to resource trading

I don't know it might be possible, but not easy to do. You would have to totaly change how resources work.

I think the best approach is to keep it relatively abstract. My feelings are that 2 things need to be changed.

1) Resources should not come in a single 'size'. They should occur in a size from either 1-3 or 1-4. The larger the size of the resource, the greater the bonus it gives to the city. All resources of all sizes would be pooled for the basis of trade.

2) We need to move beyond the 'one size fits all' mould of resources. My feeling is the larger your empire, the more of a resource you need to keep things running smooth. For example, if you have 6 cities, you might need 2 sources of iron to keep all your city's hammers at peak levels. It could also work in the other direction. If you have 3 cities with 2 sources of iron, then you get a bonus to hammers.

How it could be done, though, is beyond me!

Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom