Mod Idea: The Wild West

It's released! Here is the new thread in the Mods and Files forum.

I'll see about getting a forum.

I made a comment on the MOD forum proper, and I would like to add something to that if I could. I think that utilizing some of the scripts that Aymerick has used in his Plantation Mod (and others) to include yields of different resources would be a good addition. I would like to see cloth kept, while replacing tobacco and rum, both of which were not produced in the west. The cattle -> leather one is good, as an addition to cloth. Perhaps something like gold, or some other western-based resource would be beneficial.

I made a comment on the MOD forum proper, and I would like to add something to that if I could. I think that utilizing some of the scripts that Aymerick has used in his Plantation Mod (and others) to include yields of different resources would be a good addition. I would like to see cloth kept, while replacing tobacco and rum, both of which were not produced in the west. The cattle -> leather one is good, as an addition to cloth. Perhaps something like gold, or some other western-based resource would be beneficial.

Good ideas, but some things:

Note that bonus placement does not occur on mapscripts. It's done by the SDK (and controlled via XML). So you wouldn't have to have a new mapscript- although as I mentioned, we are getting a new mapscript, some time in the future.

If you look at the list of things to do, you'll note that renaming/adding yields is on the list (with "gold!" in parenthesis). One of the founding fathers suggested by quantumf8 deals with gold- I made him deal with silver for now.

In game, the Rum buildings have been renamed to Brewery, Brewer's House, Brewer's Shop. However, apparently Rum itself hasn't been renamed? In any event, renaming Rum to Beer is a next-patch change. (Unless you think something else should be used in it's place.)

What should replace tobacco --> cigars?

Maybe Coats should be replaced by Leather instead of Cloth?

Good ideas, but some things:

Note that bonus placement does not occur on mapscripts. It's done by the SDK (and controlled via XML). So you wouldn't have to have a new mapscript- although as I mentioned, we are getting a new mapscript, some time in the future.

Ok sounds good. I'm not a coder, so you're kind of talking a foreign language, but I get what you mean :)

If you look at the list of things to do, you'll note that renaming/adding yields is on the list (with "gold!" in parenthesis). One of the founding fathers suggested by quantumf8 deals with gold- I made him deal with silver for now.

Awesome about the gold. I think that will be a good addition. Also, I didn't go through all nine pages of comments, so I apologize for not having caught that list the first go around.

In game, the Rum buildings have been renamed to Brewery, Brewer's House, Brewer's Shop. However, apparently Rum itself hasn't been renamed? In any event, renaming Rum to Beer is a next-patch change. (Unless you think something else should be used in it's place.)

I think a brewery is fine. Perhaps something like moonshine? Dunno. I would think liquor of some sort would be fine, but rum just wasn't one people made in the west.

What should replace tobacco --> cigars?

Maybe Coats should be replaced by Leather instead of Cloth?

I actually think that you could replace both of these with one thing: cattle. You could convert cattle to food (or beef) with a Butcher (to replace tobacco -> cigars). And then cattle -> leather with a Tanner (to replace the furs -> coats). Also, similar to coffee in Aymerick's Plantation Economy, oranges could be a cash crop for the wild west, considering that they've been around in California since the 1850s.

Someone else mentioned having the initial unit be a wagon train that functions as a settler. I like that idea a lot, too. I think it would give a nice dynamic. And then maybe a stagecoach unit to act as the land transportation before you get locomotives (?).

One more thing: perhaps a new leader for the Deseret would be Jim Bridger, who was Brigham Young's advisor. I'm not Mormon; I just grew up in Utah, and we had to learn these things :) He was very aware that the area near Salt Lake City was not hospitable for crops - maybe something about that could be his attribute. Just a thought.

Thanks for the quick response. Took a break from playing to check on things here :) Back to the game now.

Thanks for the quick response. Took a break from playing to check on things here :) Back to the game now.

I type fast, and actually I'm taking a break from my own Civ game (not Westward Ho, though) to type this. Hope you have fun!

Making one yield produce two other yields is something I want to investigate. It's... probably possible, but I want to make sure. I had intended to hold off on messing with the yields until if/when we got our forum, where I was going to open a topic called "New Yields", or something like that and get people's suggestions. But now I think I'll put some of your ideas in for one of the next couple mini-versions/patches and then bring up the topic again in the future.

I could have Oranges and Gold replace Tobacco and Cigars, but I'd rather get a new "western" good out, and then add these yields in.

Making Beef work like Fish do would be cool (seperate symbol but same yield.)

I'd be happy to add a new Deserets leader. The only issue is what leaderhead image to use.

The transport plan is rather complicated at the moment. Here's what was originally proposed:

-Make home city (Europe) be on map, like in this.
-Start in said home city with your starting units.
-Use Wagon Trains at first to move stuff to them and trade.
-As you build up, make railroads between your home cities and your colonies.
-Use Locomotives (which move faster and will carry more) to go across railroads.

The idea you mention came from Kailric. I think it would be good. The only minor problem is that you would then loose your only transport, and would have to build another one or buy it from "Europe". This could of course be rectified by having two wagon trains as your starting units, one as a settler one as a transport.

If you're set in that, I guess you're set in that, but there were significant skirmishes and disputes in the Northern Plains and what became the Oregon Territory between Britain and the U.S. It would also be interested to open up the possibility of a Yukon Gold Rush ... but if you want to narrow it to the U.S. and Mexico, well its your mod. I just thought it'd be interesting to play out to understand a bit of the geopolitical chaos in North America, the various factions before things settled and the U.S., Mexico and Canada acquired their present boundaries.

Oh, and I think it'd be best to rename "America" to "United States of America." I dunno if you could figure out a way eventually to work in the civil war and the "Confederate States of America" ... that was one of the biggest drives for western expansion, from a combination of the federal and confederate states grasping for more resources to win the war, and simultaneously a lot of people fled west to escape what remains the bloodiest war the United States has ever fought (in terms of number of Americans killed ... we lost more Americans in the Civil War than even WW2!).

Oregon is, in fact, a territory in Westward Ho. It was until v0.22 British-owned and known as Cascadia but I made it American-owned for that version. But that's as far north as we're going for now.

One issue is that we can't really represent the strife between America and someone else over a territory very well. So I decided to tie Mexico and America in as the two Westward Ho "European" powers instead.

EDIT: We might be able to make random events dealing with the civil war, just like someone suggested making random events affect European power relationships based on wars in Europe.

Anyone who has ideas for the mod, I'd like to request that you post them in the new mod forum, instead of here.

Suggestions, ideas, whatever... even if they've already been mentioned here, feel free to post them in the forum.

I think there should be a way to make railroads easier. Also the trains shouldn't go backwards when leaving towns. That should be pretty easy to fix.

That's all I have in the way of ideas.

But, I have some pictures below.

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

I'm going to see about getting this moved into the Wild West forum...

But yeah, those are cool pictures!

I think there should be a way to make railroads easier. Also the trains shouldn't go backwards when leaving towns. That should be pretty easy to fix.

What do you mean by "make railroads easier"?

I'm not sure what's wrong with/how the train animation works... I'll leave that explanation to the people who made the animation in the first place.

I think America got Alaska from Russia ,so Russian Alaska might be a civ

Top Bottom