[Mod] Inquisitor Mod

Mylon

Amateur Game Designer
=== Inquisitor Mod v0.92 by Mylon ===

This mod adds a new unit, the Inquisitor. The inquisitor can be consumed to remove a non-state, non-holycity religion from the city. They are revealed by the tech Theocracy and cost 40 base production.

=== Installation instructions ===

To install, extract to the mods folder where Civilizations 4 is installed (not the my documents folder). Load Civilization 4 and go to the advanced menu, and from there, select load mod, and then Inquisitor Mod. The game will restart, and you may now enjoy the mod.

=== Release notes ===

This mod is not really meant to be a standalone mod, but rather something incorporated into other mods, particularly those pertaining to religion. To add this mod to your own, all of the changes in the XML files are near the end of the file for easy copying and pasting into your own mod. I'll leave merging the python files to the more advanced users, but there's not too much to go through.

Attachments

• Inquisitor Mod v0.92.zip
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,440
Is the inquisitor only usable under the civic Theocracy? Because it probably should. Does it have any negative effects like temporary unhappiness?

I hope they can only be used on your own cities..
and that the AI can make sense of them and use them..
Otherwise you're giving yourself an unfair advantage :)

Lightzy said:
I hope they can only be used on your own cities..
and that the AI can make sense of them and use them..
Otherwise you're giving yourself an unfair advantage :)
I'm sure if they aren't already modified to those specifications that they will be. Purging religions in another civ wouldn't exactly be fair at all.

I love the idea, founding more than 1 religion or having another one spread in my cities has caused me my fair share of headaches

IMO the inquisitor should reduce population as well ( 1 point for each religion that is removed ). People who refused to convert are often killed in the medivian.

But great idea - that unit has to be in the game.

Corey said:
Shouldn't this be in Units forum?
No, that's for new unit GRAPHICS. This is a mod which adds a new function to the game, which happens to come in the form of a unit. We don't even know what graphics this unit uses. :p

Great idea for a mod though. I was puzzling over how to get rid of religions from a city, considering that it's not very realistic for a religion to exist indefinitely in a location. There are plenty of real life situations where the influence or practice of a religion were completely irraticated from a region.

I feel like you should have a limited number of inquisitors, however -- like with missionaries. And yes, allowing them to purge religions from foreign cities is a bit unrealistic and unfair.

That's a good question. What unit graphic does it use? Missionary? New? Mech. Inf.? (I'd download and check myself, but I'm not at my home computer.)

First off, this is a fantastic addition to religion in the game. Second, a couple questions:

What happens to holy buildings of the evicted religion's type in the target city?

Is there a chance of failure?

Are there any drawbacks to using an Inquisitor?

Third, I'll definitely be including this in the plans for a religion mod I'm working on (which may never come to fruition).

I think using an Inquisitor ought to cause a negative effect on your relations with civ's who have the religion that has been removed. Could work similar to failed spy missions in that it adds -1 to standing each time you do it.

I also agree about the -1 population too... not just for deaths for the unwilling to convert, but also those who might flee the persecution etc.

And yes, it should definitely remove any buildings constructed for the other religion.

It would also be nice if you could select a particular religion or all the religions to be removed if it doesn't do so already.

This is an idea I had about a month ago. I'm just not that good at implementing my ideas...

In my post, I suggested that you only be able to purge religions from civs that have your founded religion as their state religion. Similar to how the Vatican has power extending way beyond its border...

I also suggested that the Inquisitor could only be built in cites that had a Cathedral or maybe even just the holy city.

Heh, I had a similar post a few days ago, on an inquisitor mod.

What this unit MUST do in an updated version:

1) +1 :(
2) -%20 Population (so in a city with 20 population, it's -4, and this makes sense)
3) Removes all buildings tied to the religion that has been removed.
4) Must be possible to choose what religion to remove (Spanish Inquisition didn't target Jews in the beginning, as they were actually helping the Christians because they feared their own safety. Eventually it was their turn later on to be expelled)
5) Chance of revolting and having a "fist" underneath the city for 3 turns.

Optional: Can only be used if the state is in Theocracy.

SpincruS said:
Heh, I had a similar post a few days ago, on an inquisitor mod.

What this unit MUST do in an updated version:

1) +1 :(
2) -%20 Population (so in a city with 20 population, it's -4, and this makes sense)
3) Removes all buildings tied to the religion that has been removed.
4) Must be possible to choose what religion to remove (Spanish Inquisition didn't target Jews in the beginning, as they were actually helping the Christians because they feared their own safety. Eventually it was their turn later on to be expelled)
5) Chance of revolting and having a "fist" underneath the city for 3 turns.

Optional: Can only be used if the state is in Theocracy.

I think loss of 20% don't makes always sence - but whats missing here is simply you don't know how many people following religion A, religion B and C and so on ... so maybe this should be more individuell too ? Maybe in a city of 20 there are 8 buddist, 4 Christians , 4 Hindus ( 4 atheist ;) - this is missing too ) - and if you use your inquisitor to remove Hindus then 2 are forced to convert, and 2 are fleeing the city ( maybe to a civ with Hindu state religion ? ) ) or beeing killed

A population hit doesn't make sense at all. Even during the historical Spanish Inquisition, no city had its population decimated from the Inquisition. Going from a size 20 city to a size 16 city is the same as killing/imprisoning 740,000 people. Going from a size 40 to a size 30 is killing millions of people.

Zurai said:
A population hit doesn't make sense at all. Even during the historical Spanish Inquisition, no city had its population decimated from the Inquisition. Going from a size 20 city to a size 16 city is the same as killing/imprisoning 740,000 people. Going from a size 40 to a size 30 is killing millions of people.

But this number would also represent a portion of the population packing up and leaving too.. as many Jews fled to the New World from the Inquisition in Spain and that which was later imposed on Portugal.

I would say that a loss of 1 population point would be sufficient. 20% is a bit excessive though... even though a general loss of 1 would mean a size 2 city would lose 50% of its population.

Personally, I'd rather have an average city measuring about 100 and have each population point represent fewer people.

I must generally agree with suggestions but it should produce say +2 unhappiness for 6-10 turns, which may be able to reduce population in smaller cities. I would avoid making too many modifiers so that you avoid unforseen crashing and balance issues. Allows keep it simple in mods - at least when starting out.

Top Bottom