1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Mod] Naval and Privateer Expansion

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by Kailric, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

2. avain

avain (key)

3. i_kass

i_kass Chieftain

Hello, 50 Red coins are needed to build Buccaneers Den (with Dock and Smuggling post already built), is this normal? Also, the pirate hideout can only be built by the Flotilla.

In the civilipedia, one small yellow ship is named Junk. Is this normal?

Cheers

4. Kailric

Yes, a colony can only build a Buccaneer's Den at 50 percent Pirate Affiliation (Red Coins) and then a Pirate Haven at 100% Pirate Affiliation. The more loot you spend in a colony the higher its Pirate Affiliation will rise.

The Pirate Hideout can also be built by the Pirate unit and all its upgrades. Privateers have to reach Flotilla status to build a Pirate Hideout as of this version. So those are both intended features. If you have any suggestions on changes to these rules or other rules please feel free to say.

The Junk is aquired sometimes while on a Plunder Trade Lanes mission so, yes it is normal to be there.

5. Kailric

I just wrote a small beginers guild to Pirating in this Mod:

6. i_kass

i_kass Chieftain

Hello,

When I spend pirated goods at Buccaneers' Den, the city's Pirate Affiliation goes up; though, the amount of cash doesn't increase - not even by 65 %. This holds for the entire game including the Revolution war.

Cheers

7. Kailric

Are you talking about your Gold, that is the player's gold doesn't increase? If so then yeah, I was just thinking on changing that so that the player gets a percentage of the gold when it is spent in the city.

I am thinking making 50% of the gold go to the player and the other is spent by the pirates in the city. Or maybe making it so the Pirate Captains keep a certain percent for them selves and each pirate Captain is different. As history shows Henry Morgan kept most of the gold for himself.

8. Aymerick

Aymerick Warlord

I must say, this mod is incredibly fun!! Way better than the Pirate Civ from AoDII!!! Thumbs up Kailric!!!! :goodjob:

Some text that would be useful for understanding the mechanics is missing (in the Civilipedia mostly) and the "Plunder trade route" says "Crew want sail without 10 rum" where it should probably say "Crew wont sail without 10 rum" so I can't give you a perfect score (joke ;)), but still A+!

Also, you should consider adding the "Fortress with cannons firering on enemy ships" from AoDII, it would really make sense here!!

9. Kailric

Hey, thanks for the kudos. I'll fix the grammer error you pointed out in the next update. I am not great in grammer so please feel free to help me out there. I do need to add more text as you say so I'll be working on that as well.

I talked to Dale already about merging my mod with AODII and its a go. I am waiting on his next update then I'll start working on that. I am really looking forward to playing both mods together. So you'll get your Fortess then :)

Cheers Mate!

10. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Aymerick is working on modmod for AODII that will combine Plantation Economy and my BLU mod stuff, which we are planning to call 'Age of Further Discovery'. If this mod of yours was incorporated too, that would be amazing. Are you intending to make a modmod or will this be incorporated into AODII itself?

11. Kailric

I was just going to incorporate it in but I haven't fully checked out everything yet to see what else I may want to do but there is plenty of possibilities. I been gone for two days and time will also be a factor on what I can do so I'll just have to see how things go. I am working on the next update and am planning on making it Modular for easier incorporation. I told Aymerick to feel free to use this mod as well. :goodjob:

12. Aymerick

Aymerick Warlord

Allright Kailric, I've been playing a couple of games lately and here are my suggestions and comments so far:

1. First, I want the "Automate Transport" back!!! (please :D). At least for Wagon Trains... The "Assign Trade Route" works fine but I hate to have to select every trade route one by one, etc...
    2. Also, the "Smuggler's Inn" building model is way too big! It should be scaled down at least in half so it's no bigger the "Buccaner's Den" or any other building...
    3. As for the "Pirate" unit produce by the new buildings, I think they should be reworked... I don't get how those people can build a ship by getting drunk in the Inn... :lol:
      I was thinking, maybe instead of producing a "Pirate Ship", the Smuggler's Inn and Buccaner's Den could produce a "Pirate Unit" (You could use the Pirate unit model from AoDII...). This "Pirate Unit" could have a variaty of missions and uses...
      This "Pirate Unit" could be loaded onto a ship and take over or become part of the crew. This would enable new features, missions and commands for that ship. It could also be used as a military unit to attack settlements, Indians villages or pillage improvements.
      Let's say you load it onto a Cargo Ship (like a Galleon), this "Pirate Unit" could transform that Galleon into a Pirate Galleon. This would consume the unit (it becomes part of the crew...). But maybe more than one "Pirate Unit" could be needed depending on the type of ship...
      And when loaded onto a Privateer or Pirate ship, it could become part of the crew (enabling the "Smuggle Goods" and "Build a the Pirate Cove" options) and also boost the ships power. You could get more than one unit onboard depending on the ship size (maybe takes off cargo space for each one). Also, when attacking a ship, you have a chance to take over that ship (it would transfer one unit over to your new ship).

BTW, these are just rough ideas... ;)

13. Kailric

1. K, sorry about that. I had modded that command to do the Return Home command but never fixed the original command back so I'll fix that really quick and post it ASAP.

2. I'll fix this as well

3. Yeah, I don't like turning "Intoxicated Units" into Pirate Naval units either. Thats only as far in coding I have got and was planning to fix this later. I do like your suggestions. K, we turn a unit into the "Intoxicated Unit", we'll call it a "Freebooter". The Freebooter can then be used to turn a vessel into a "Pirate" or it can be used to Capture ships. I have been wanting a way to add in capturing ships but it just seemed to unbalanced and would give the player lots of free units. But doing it this way the player would just be exchanging one unit for another.

Also, I will make it so that Petty Criminals will become Freebooters and other units will turn into Petty Criminals when Intoxicated. This makes more sense. This also gives more use to the Petty Criminal where as now they are a nuisance but with this mod they will be a warm welcome :D I'll add all this in next update.

I have also already coded another use for the "Pirate Naval" unit. I have turned the "Pirate Haven" building into a "Smuggler's Port". Pirate Naval units can now work the Smuggler's Port, which acts much like the Warehouse Expansion. But now if a Smuggler is at work there they will consume Rum but you will be able to sell Surplus Contraband goods to Europe for an extra prophet over normal goods. And as an extra benefit from all that trade, "Trade Goods" are also created with the Smuggler's Port when worked by smugglers.

All this makes it so that if you have a city that is a full fledge Pirate Haven there is a new change of actions taken place. Say you can turn your Indentured Servant into a Petty Criminal, then the Petty Criminal into a Freebooter, then load the Freebooter into a Caravel and turn that into a Pirate, then turn the Pirate into a Smuggler working your Smuggler's Port.
    :beer:

I have also added a new Founding Fathers Category for acquiring the Most Famous of the Pirates/Privateers. These new Founding Pirates add benefits to your whole colony as well as creates a Pirate unit name after said Founding Pirate :goodjob:

I also want to do away with building Privateers in Peace times altogether. That just doesn't make sense to me as Privateers could only work in war times. At peace they would have to turn to Piracy. Thus I am thinking of making it so that during war you can build said Privateer but in peace it no longer has hidden nationality nor is always hostile. Instead you can move said Privateer into a "Pirate Cove" you built and turn said Privateer into a Pirate.... YARRR!!!!! :clap:

14. kaibayashi

kaibayashi Warlord

Kailric the new version of your mod has me all exited again, despite having been out of the scene for a while! :)

I like the idea with PC's. Where would FCs fit in the ladder to becoming a Freebooter? Would be interesting if Pirate ships could imprison FCs from ships they captured, then trade them with the nation they caught them from for PCs or gold/goods etc! Dunno how feasible an idea like this is tho??

15. Kailric

Hey, just uploaded a quick fix version that Aymerick suggested like 2 minutes ago so get it if you haven't yet.

FCs would fit in same place as all other colonists, same as Indentured Servants. I just used Indentured Servants as an example in the chain.

I do plan to increase the Diplomacy options with respect to Pirates/Privateers as well.
    Nations can make pacts not to attack each other with Privateers/Pirates or form Pirate Coalitions to some effect.

That is an interesting idea as well with the capturing FCs. One idea is maybe a Pirate can acquire a promotion that will allow them a chance to capture a type of "Elder Statesmen" unit that they could ransom back for gold. I also plan to allow Pirates/Privateers to somehow Sack a city for loot or Raid Native villages for same.

16. Kailric

The SDK of this version is not correct so please bare with me on this. And there is some kind of error in the XML when loading but not sure if it is Game stopping or not. I have to many versions of this out is my problem! I'll have the next update though posted in the next day or two and hopefully things will be back on track!

17. i_kass

i_kass Chieftain

Hello,

Have you thought about making Pirates a separate playable "nation" similarly to AoDII?

Keep the idea in mind for five minutes: now, 1) say the player starts with 1 ship
    2) there are petty criminals and indentured servants waiting in Europe (this is due to layoffs in the Navy - AoDII civilopedia informs about this)

3) crosses should not increase immigration
    4) Add the Plunder victory condition (again from AoDII)

the hardest parts: 4) No King for Pirates
    5) With every sunken transport, Kings add units to the Expeditionary Force
    6) Either a) when the overall infamy level is high, or b) when the town Pirate Affiliation is hight; then the Expeditionary Force is deployed

AI still defends its colonies with Sloops-o'-War's, Frigates, Ship-of-the-Line's, and Man-o'-War's. 7) For the Expeditionary Force to be neutral (not assigned to any nation), it would include stronger Privateers and "Pirate Hunter" Land units.

8) Once the Expeditionary Force is deployed no immigration is available, since all the units are payed to pirates. (again this follows the information from AoDII civilopedia)

9) All other revolutionary choices are made possible once 6) is high.

What do you think?

18. Kailric

Yes, I have thought about it. I haven't had the chance to play as pirates yet in AODII but been meaning to just so much to do can't do it all.

I have plans to add a "Pirate" leader for each civ. These leaders give certain bonuses to Pirating Units and actions. In History the more successful Pirates where able to create whole colonies, coalitions, empires and even become governors and its possible for a king to send an Expedition to colonize the new world only to have them turn Pirate. Which with this mod you will be able to do.

Thanks for the suggestions, they are noted. I was thinking like having the Church replaced by the Buccaneers Den- where units working there can increase Pirate Affiliation or something to that effect or crosses replaced by something else that Increase Immigration. As history shows when news of the most successful pirates exploits got around more and more sailors decided to turn to piracy which in effect is like "immigration" to the pirate world.

There is a way to work it all out. I have made a lot of significant changes in the next update. So after I upload it in the next day or two and play test it a lot maybe we can come up with some more ideas on this.

Thanks again for input!

19. Aymerick

Aymerick Warlord

I have played the Pirate Civ from AoDII and it's really just a normal Civ, you could even play a whole game without pirating anything...

Just throwing ideas here:

Let's say you make a Pirate Civ that has 4 leaders, each one "affiliated" to a European nation so that it start with a Letter of Mark from that nation.

You could start with a "Pirate Unit" (like we talked earlier) and a "Pirate Captain" (this unit could appear like the "Great General" but acts like a "Stateman" to produce infamy) on a small ship (maybe a "Sloop"...? Not the "Sloop-of-War" but a smaller version, a really fast ship for quick pirate's actions that has a bonus for capturing ships and withdrawing from combat).

You won't have a King, taxes or access to Europe to trade goods and buy colonist (that can be easily done by not making a "Pirate Europe" Civ...), and you can't actually found colonies like we know them. But with that first "Pirate Captain" onboard you can build a "Pirate's Lair" (Maybe like the "Pirate Cove"...?) that would somewhat act as a city, a place where to store plundered goods. Maybe you can't produce goods there (well, except food from fishing...?) or have citizens other than drunken criminals.

In this "Pirate's Lair" or "Pirate City", the Townhall could be replace by a Pirate Captain's Mansion where your "Pirate Captain" would produce infamy that would attract Petty Criminals (could be easier to just have it growing them like with food...). You'll only be able to build "Smuggler's Inns" and "Bucanner's Den" in that city so you can't really play an Industrial type of game (not sure about that...).

At the beginning you aren't strong enough to make a career in attacking other vessel so you'll sail around, buy and sell goods from one colony to the other or native villages (since you don't have access to Europe, this would be the only way to sell goods).

When you'll capture a good enough ship, you can start pirating, plundering, attacking colonies to capture goods, gold or take hostages for ransom. But you'll need to be careful who your attacking because if you make a name for yourself as a Pirate to the Spanish, they won't trade with you anymore (somewhat like declaring war maybe...?) unless you buy a Letter of Mark at a hefty price, or you might lose the one you already have. Also, "Plundered Goods" should be taged by nations so you can't steal something from the French and then sell it back to them...

Since you can't build or buy ships from Europe, you might want to have new promotions that increases the chance of capturing enemy vessel. And also promotions that increases the chance of capturing enemy cargo because, right now, even if a ship does have cargo on it, it's pretty rare you actualy capture it...

20. Kailric

I like this idea. A lone Captain sets out to make his name and forture. Yeah, has potential... but a lot of coding:eek:

The Pirate City should probably work similar to normal cities as like I say a lot "history shows" true Pirate Havens like Tortuga and Port Royal had a working metropolis. All that treasure and loot brings in all kinds of peoples, beggers, traders, pirates, and such. What would differ is how you get "immigrants". Infamy would be the factor in that and the more you loot and plunder and build up your city the more immigrants you get. The immigrants may be actual units from other Civs that choose to join your city, now that would be cool. That would slow down their production.

Anyway, some interesting Ideas for sure! You would have to remember though that this is a turn based game and just have to remember the features that make games like this fun. You could add or take away so much that you may as well go play Sid Miers Pirates. And again, it would take a lot of coding to get a true Pirate City up and running.

After this next upload you can check it all the changes I made and let the ideas go from there. K, I am about to play a game and see what needs be fix :)