Mod newbie

althompson33

Chieftain
Hi
I'm trying to create a simply mod just to test it out really but cannot get my changes to be recognised.

I've created 3 xml files that are copies of existing files. eg. CivBESpacecraft.xml and made edits to them. Ive built these into a mod and set it to update database OnModActivated. Ive then built it without errors.

On loading my mod appears in the lsit of installed mods and I have ticked it to activate. However, when I start the game the changes I made to do occur.

Is there anything I am likely to have done wrong? Am I wonrg in thinking that if I create a revised version of an existing file in my mod then this will overwrite the std game version?

Many thanks

I'm still relatively new to modding myself, but if I'm not mistaken you can only use XML to add things to the game, not change or remove things.

You will need to use SQL (or the XML version they've implemented) to make changes to the databases beyond simple additions.

Some basic SQL commands you'll need:

UPDATE <table>
SET <Property>=<Value> , <Property>=<Value> <etc>
WHERE <Property>=<Value> <etc>;

DELETE <Table>;

DELETE FROM <table>
WHERE <Property>=<Value>;

I do think you'll need the ;s (but I'm not entirely sure).

The tables are the things where all those rows from XML are going.

If you need any more tips or info on SQL, you could probably just do an Internet search. It's a database access and modification language that's fairly common on the Internet, that that've adapted for the Civ games.

SQL can be used for more powerful database manipulation, but you can certainly use XML to change and delete.

See this cheat sheet for SQLite and the 2 variations of XML syntax used by CiV and CivBE.

Top Bottom