Mod Request : Ancient Era units cost maintenance (Ai fix attempt)

Ramez Hachicho

Chieftain
Hi guys I have a request for a mod and it's because I think I've worked out why one of the most glaring ai problems happens. And why this problem is most present in slower game modes.

In order to allow us .. and the ai to effectively combat the new psycho barbarians Firaxis decided to make ancient units maintenance free. Unfortunately according to my theories this makes the ai waaay overproduce them. They spam out those warriors because they cost nothing. And there is no formal unit cap based on cities and city size like in civ 5. So they literally fill the map with the damn things. Warriors .. and chariots need to cost the ai something to maintain. SInce the ai doesn't upgrade them since their new maintenance would leave them flat broke.

I tried upping the maintenance cost of the warrior and slinger units to 1, but the AI would still build them non stop, even if that means going banckrupt (what is the penalty for this?). The problem is more noticeable in marathon speed.

I can do this for you probably by sometime tomorrow, unless someone leaps in and does it first. It's a pretty easy change but would need some time to test to be sure it functions.

It's really questionable that the ai just spams warriors regardless of maintenance. I also think it cheats given how many it makes. Is there just code to go .. woah .. the ai's looking a bit shaky .. spawn it 3 warriors that just keeps spamming or something lol?

Cos just for lols I made a game with like 50x research speed.

The ai covered the ENTIRE MAP in warriors There is hardly a hex on the whole map that isn't infested .. I can hardly even spread religion ..
I'm not even joking. Only thing I'm hoping is that when they get swordsman and cant make em anymore the units will die off in war and I will finally see an end to it.

I know its impossible to make a civ ai thats as good as a human .. but the ai in this game is a joke .. lol

I'm sitting there with my army of swordsman and archers in a bottleneck and cleopatra's sitting there with her entire map full of warriors loling at my "puny army" .. Then she attacks and I grind it into kibble .. half of my units are veterancy 3 now. Some more .. I basically had no veterancy when she attacked. It was just 20 turns of oh look another line of warriors .. shoot all my archers. They then charge my swordsmen fortified accross a river. I take no damage. They die .. rinse .. repeat.

I really love civ 6 but right now how hideously dumb the ai is is really fustrating me. It's city placement is garbage it doesn't produce anything like a capable military in fact it trolls the player by filling the map with crap. It's almost impossible to maintain a diplomatic relationship with someone. (As far as I'm concerned the ai shouldn't penalize you for having units stationed in your OWN territory. Just because they can see them from their city ..

Last edited:
So is there any news on this front? I don't care how anyone does it. The hideous amount of unit spam the ai does is literally ruining the game for me. Every single hex .. every single ONE outside my territory has a warrior or a heavy chariot on it. I don't care how anyone fixes it just please for the love of god do. This happens in every single game I play where the tech progression makes the ai take more than like 30 turns to get out of ancient era. I don't understand why everyone isn't furious about this. It makes the game all but unplayable. I have a bunch of great metchants waiting to go and claim tiles and luxury resources .. they can't why .. BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY ARE UNABLE TO MOVE OUTSIDE MY OWN TERRITORY.

Game is broken .. Am I the only one who doesn't play quick games .. ?

I am still having this problem and the game has been out for half a year now. The AI civs and city-states both spam units like there is no tomorrow. Often every single tile of their Empire is covered in units. This makes absolutely no sense and I suspect it severely slows down my turn times, not to mention it ruins both the gameplay and the immersion.

If you can learn how to create a small mod, add this line to a SQL file.

-- Gives Warriors a Base Maintenance cost
UPDATE Units SET Maintenance = 1 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_WARRIOR';

If you can learn how to create a small mod, add this line to a SQL file.

-- Gives Warriors a Base Maintenance cost
UPDATE Units SET Maintenance = 1 WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_WARRIOR';

Except it doesn't help, because the AI spams later era units as well. It doesn't happen to me in every game, thankfully, but in some. Same thing with City-states.

I increased the maintenance cost to 5 and it still covered the map with warriors/archers/slingers(The AI cheats, they have 0 gold and 0 income and they are still pumping units), so I just increased the units costs and it's a lot better, but I think it's just delaying the inevitable. Also using AI mod.

I increased the maintenance cost to 5 and it still covered the map with warriors/archers/slingers(The AI cheats, they have 0 gold and 0 income and they are still pumping units), so I just increased the units costs and it's a lot better, but I think it's just delaying the inevitable. Also using AI mod.

For the most part, the AI should be losing their units when they're bankrupt. It doesn't prevent them from trying to spam them. Or at least, that's what's supposed to happen. ;P

Top Bottom