1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[MOD] Second Unique Unit Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Master Lexx, Jan 31, 2006.

1. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

whoa, this is so great. I love UUs. awesome work Master Lexx ;)

2. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

No offense taken, its just my oppinion on the matter. And I know only too well it isn't possible atm. I personally have no problem with skillful skinned existing leaderheads, and I've seen quite a few nice ones already.

3. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

Hi Master Lexx, I've just finished adding this awesome work into my mod.
    Sadly though, it seems I've made a little error while doing this.
    when the mod loads up, I get an error message that says:

Tag: in Info class was incorrect
    Current XML file is: Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml

I've already dealed with many similar messages that occurred whenever I did something wrong while modifying XML files, and always fixed everything.
    but this one is different: it doesnt tell me where the error is! I am clueless.
    Do you have any idea on what could have gone wrong?

thanx in advance for your help, and kudos for your great work :goodjob:

4. Master Kodama

Master Kodama Nitpicker

I have to agree that the Indian War Elephant sounds too powerful. Just look at your own numbers; it has a two point lead on all its contemporary units. If the +50% vs. Mounted is maintained with the Indian War Elephant along with an additional +25% vs. Melee, they would be nigh impossible to effectively counter, accept maybe with pikeman which generally come later. Spearmen, which are on basically equal footing with vanilla war elephants, would no longer be effective. War elephants are VERY powerful units considering when they come in the tech tree and their comparatively low production cost. However, balance is maintained by the fact that Ivory, an extremely rare resource, is required to build them. If you take away that limitation (a move that I'm not objecting to), then there is no longer a small chance that the civ (in this case India) will be able to build this exceptional unit, but a guarantee. Obviously a UU should not require a rare luxury like Ivory, but a weakening of the unit should be implemented to maintain balance. My suggestion would be to reduce their strength to 7 or something along those lines. Even then it might still be overpowered, I don't know.

Oh, and excellent work on this not-so-mini mod :)

5. Robo Magic Man

Robo Magic Man Prince

On the topic of new civs, I just thought this would be a good place to let people know, I've combined this mod with my Italy mod, and given Italy a second UU.
    Due to the fact that Italy fighting Rome would be absurd IMO, Italy replaces Rome in the mod. Italy also has an animated LH (Vittorio Emanuele II). Just click the link in my signature to check it out!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Also, I agree with Kodama on the War Elephant thing. The Indian War Elephants are too strong, and IMO, it shouldn't be possible to build war elephants w/o ivory.

How can you ride an elephant if you have no elephant?! :confused:

6. Master Kodama

Master Kodama Nitpicker

I must reiterate that I DO think that the Indian War Elephant should be available without Ivory. Otherwise, because Ivory is uncommon and tends to clump in certain regions rather than being more evenly distributed, you would have a UU that you would rarely be able to build, which would be both annoying and unbalanced. I think that the bonus to production from Ivory (maybe should only be only 25% bonus) is a good idea, but at the moment the Indian War Elephant is just too powerful.

On a realism level, Indian elephants aren't the major source of ivory -- African elephants are. But Indian elephants are the sort of elephants used in battle, because African elephants are almost impossible to train. In reality if you had access to a small number of Indian elephants, but no African elephants, you could have war elephants without a significant source of ivory. Also, Ivory can be harvested from fossil mammoth tusks (this was the primary source of ivory in Europe for a very long time) an example of having a source of ivory without having the capacity to train war elephants. So the 1:1 correlation between an ivory resource and the capacity to build war elephants is not entirely realistic anyway, but really more of a semi-realistic gameplay quirk to make things more fun and interesting.

7. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

You guys are right, I will remove the +50% prod bonus from indian war elephants. And Gecko, I need more infos, plus version or not,...

8. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

yes, it's the plus version, I've pasted the new tank over the old one and added in the t-34. sadly there's not much info I can give, since the error message actually gives NO info. I thought that maybe someone with more knowledge than me might understand what the problem is just by looking at that error message...

9. RED DIAMOND

RED DIAMOND Prince

You are not going to like this:( That's one of the those rare parsing errors you can get with this game. The question is do you remember what you edited(ie. one unit, two, more?) Obviously the lower the better, but you have a syntax error in one or more of the entries.

Generally, this one is tied to Bonuses needed to produce the unit. You might check there specifically <BonusType>NONE</BonusType> for any units that you added. Just a thought because this was the one place that I saw this unlisted error a couple of times while modding units.:goodjob:

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

it happened when I added this mod to mine, so when I added all the new UUs, but I might have editted some other units as well during that same "session".
    I'll try to hunt the error down following your instructions, thanx :)

11. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

what's a "parsing" error btw? I dont really know what "parsing" means... :blush: if you can provide me with an example to make me understand, that would be appreciated. :goodjob:
    oh and an example for a syntax error would be nice too. :)

12. RED DIAMOND

RED DIAMOND Prince

Syntax=spelling(not exactly but you get the idea) One wrong period or comma could do it.

Parsing=Review file contents for correctness. File contents is reviewed for mistakes or errors in syntax and form.

13. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

Thanks for your help RED DIAMOND.
    I still can't find that damn error though. this is gonna get me mad... :(

14. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

[QUOTE='[to_xp]I still can't find that damn error though. this is gonna get me mad... :([/QUOTE]

Actually, that's the real function of parsing errors. ;)

15. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

Send me the xml file, I can help you. So xmlspy saved the file and there was still an error? Thats strange, at me it always gives me a warning if a tag in not right.

16. @Gekko: Do what I always do in these situations, remove any modifications you made to the file (or at least the latest batch, the ones that started causing the errors) and then start adding them one by one until it gives you the same error. It's time consuming, but it works. :)

Also, if XML syntax checkers aren't giving you any problems but the game gives you an error it might have something to do with the schema. Make sure that you don't use something like <sometag/> when you have to use <sometag>NONE</sometag>, or vice versa.

17. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

actually I'm using just wordpad to modify the xml files. and I don't like the thought to re-add all the new unique units + the modifications I've done to them from scratch... it would take away loads of time.

thanx a lot for your offering your help Master Lexx, I'm going to send you the file right now :)

18. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

19. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

well it worked fine so far ( excluding that error that is clearly my fault though, not the program I was using ) , but from now on I'm going to use notepad++, thanx for the link :D

20. lordroy

lordroy God