1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod support upon release?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Modding Discussion' started by Magma_Dragoon, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Is there any news on modding? I haven't been able to find any. It would be very nice to have to ability to start porting or making new mods immediately upon release. That way even if the game is bland and uninteresting we can fix it. :crazyeye:

I also hope the forum gets new BE smilies by day of release.

2. Chapel

Chapel Chieftain

The only thing I have heard about modding so far is on the last live stream it was said that the covert ops system will be "highly moddable".

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

If I recall correctly, there is also a mod item on the main menu like Civ V does. I expect that BE will be as mod dabble as Civ V.

4. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Likely at least a bit more. In a number of interviews, the devs described making the game's systems quite moddable.

5. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Prince

I hope it's more moddable. One of my favorite things about Civilization 4 was the massive amount of user-created mods, and how versatile and unique most of them were. I was disappointed by the amount of mods for Civ5, and I hope there's more modders can do in BE.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Don't they say that before every release? And then not follow through on it?

7. rastak

rastak Emperor

Was Civ V un-modable?

I played several that were interesting.

8. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

with it being based upon CivV, you should be able to expect at least the same amount of modding.

9. sonihi

sonihi Chieftain

10. m15a

m15a Emperor

For comparison, Civ V's page says, "Modability: With unprecedented modding tools, players will have a nearly unlimited options for modifying Civilization V any way they like."

I wouldn't read so much into the differences in language, since the Civ V page is kind of a hyperbole.

But the way I see it: Civ V has mod support, and BE is said to have mod support. There's no strong indication that BE will have *better* mod support, and whether equivalent mod support would be "good" or "bad" is a matter of opinion.

11. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Unfortunately there aren't nearly as many complex mods for Civ V as there are for Civ IV. I haven't seen any Civ V mods that would be comparable to Fall from Heaven, Planetfall or similar total conversions, and I don't really expect to see any for BE.

12. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Which doesn't really leave a player hoping for the best outcome, as V isn't the most mod creator friendly compared to it's predecesor.

If I remember correctly from dev interviews concerning V's modability, it was supposedly going to be "the most moddable Civ ever". And exactly how long was it before partial tools were released before modders could start working some of their magic? oh, and incedently pointing out some really big screw ups? JMO, but I would recommend taking anything the devs state with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Irony abounds, well stated Sir :goodjob:.

More irony. If I may ask MD, what is your own personal viewpoint on this?

An excellant and accurate statement. My hope is that the devs will actually listen to the modders for once and respond, as opposed to blithely ignoring them for a half a year or so.

Another disheartening but accurate statement. While there has been some valiant attempts of TC's for V, nothing ( at least to me that is) has come even close to rivaling any of IV's TC mods. Although to be fair concerning this, IV has the advantage of full release of modding as opposed to partial in V.

13. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

At any rate, I prefer to adopt a wait and see posture instead of pointlessly engaging in pessimism.

Then again, I don't hold any unrealistic illusions (or worse, demands) either. And the thought of CivBE being as moddable as Civ4 would be one of those. If it somehow turns out to be that way, fantastic; if it doesn't, it doesn't.

14. edingess

edingess Warlord

From what I've found when playing mods is that the hardcoding in Civs V makes mods a lot less stable. Especially for expanded era mods like Community Call to Power and Future Mod.