1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Support

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by The_Reckoning, May 12, 2016.

1. The_Reckoning

The_Reckoning Chieftain

Is there any concrete sign they're making the game more moddable?

XCOM2's mod support has been great, letting people change the game significantly and provide many quality of life improvements in the same week the game was released.

The article on IGN says "Notably, this is the first Civ game since Civilization 4 in 2004 to launch with a completely new game engine – one Firaxis says it’s designed from the ground up with deep mod support in mind."

However for BE they said "Mod support: Robust mod support allows you to customize and extend your game experience.", and the mod scene never took off quite like Civ4's - we never saw total conversions on the scale of FFH2.

Cautious optimism?

2. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I really hope they learned from Civ5, they killed off the mod scene Civ4 had by the extremely steep learning curve and, more importantly, their very hard to implement model format. And the long delay until we got the DLL source.

It took ages until we could import unit models (thanks to Deliverator's heroic efforts) and we never quite had the level of control we had in Civ4. City models are still not moddable and terrain graphics are not as changeable as in Civ4. UI mods are also... clunky (only as DLC mod, so no longer modular).

That's what really killed off total conversions on the graphics side, Fall from Heaven or Planetfall just wouldn't work with "regular" Civ graphics. On the other hand, Civ5 had modular mods, nice mix-and-match modlets, that's something where Civ5/BE mod support was excellent. Civ4 never had that.

I hope that Civ6 will be built with both in mind, especially since BtS back then shipped with total conversions by Firaxis (like Afterworld).

coffee junkie likes this.
  3. CGPanama

CGPanama Chieftain

Although I have been fine switching between Mac and Bootcamp Windows when I want to play a mod that requires DLL, it would be nice if the Mod system was truly universal.

4. racha

racha Chieftain

Civ 5 was my first foray into modding and I found it pretty frustrating that the tools were terrible and there was so much you couldn't mod, such as adding new natural wonders, or seeing something cool in the database only to find Firaxis had prevented us from using it.

I sure hope 6 is an improvement over that.

5. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

I agree with Lord Tirian that a lot hinges on how modable the graphics are. I get the feeling that "deep mod support" might not extend to the graphical side of things.

Reposting part of what I posted in this "Why are there so many less mods for Civ 5 than 4?" thread as some of it is relevant:

A fundamental issue issue is that modders need to be able edit vanilla graphics to make new graphics, rather than just import models they have created themselves, but this is a facility that Firaxis are unlikely to provide themselves. It's likely that with a new graphics engine they will allow FBXs to be imported into the new format (they did that for CiV although it was very broken, and they have done with XCOM 2). However, it's very unlikely that they will provide for vanilla models and animations to imported into 3D editing software like Blender so they can be altered and reimported to the game. Nifskope/Nif scripts for editing Civ 4 graphics and Nexus Buddy 2/Blender scripts for CiVwere not developed by game developers so it is likely to be down the modding community to create the tools that really unlock graphics modding. If they are using Granny as their 3D engine then some of the existing stuff we have for CiV might work, but that is a long shot.

My biggest hopes for graphics modding are:

1) The terrain is really modable so that you can really make the environment look and feel like another world.

2) Visual effects are modable in someway. Civ 5 didn't even bother to implement a Reload Visual Effects option for mods so you were stuck with just the vanilla visual effects. Even the ability to resize and retexture the visual effects would be a step forward and would help open things up for sci-fi and fantasy total conversions.

3) The do something to make creating custom 3D Leaders as simple as they can possible make it.

The gameplay changes seem really interesting so I'm hopeful but we'll have to wait and see how extensive the mod support is in the end.

coffee junkie likes this.
  6. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

I have the feeling that Firaxis when developing Civ5 had already in mind Civ:BE so they intentionally wanted the game not to be well modable, to avoid a Civ5:planetfall mod overshadowing Civ:BE. Let's hope that this time they dont have such intentions :rolleyes:

If Civ6 won't be able to create better mods than Civ4 (like ROM:AND as my absolute favorite) I really doubt to switch to it.

7. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

That sounds like a rather silly idea to me.

Some of the Beyond Earth Game Files also hint at Beyond Earth being "Expansion 3", so I'd say it's unlikely that they planned to release it as a full game. It's probably an expansion that simply grew too large, which is why they decided to make it a stand-alone.

8. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

Hello
    Don't know if this is the right place to ask. 2questions:
    1. How to increase the minimum distance between cities? I prefer uncrowded worlds
    2. How to make city states stronger? Currently they are far too easy to conquer, where can i increase their default strength or their initial units for example?
    Thanks

9. qqqbbb

qqqbbb Chieftain

10. Grotius

Grotius Chieftain

So do we have any idea when Firaxis will release its modding tools?

11. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I believe the official time line is "soon"

12. Hajee

Hajee Chieftain

Two things that are coming

We will get a "AssetEditor.exe", which sounds like a simple tool to change and add data.

Second "AssetCloud.exe" which Is beyond me as I not sure what cloud could mean

13. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

Interesting... where are you getting this info from?

14. Hajee

Hajee Chieftain

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam

File name FiraxisBugReporter.exe open in Notepadd ++

"WatchedApplications": [ "Civ6_Win64_DX11_FinalRelease.exe", "CivilizationVI.exe", "CivilizationVI_DX12.exe", "AssetEditor.exe", "AssetCloud.exe"

15. coffee junkie

coffee junkie Tech Hippie

Same feeling and same hope :D