[Mod] True Culture Location and Territory Naming for the Giant Earth Map

Discussion in 'Humankind - Creation and Customization' started by Gedemon, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

usual hotfix...
    Code:
    - fix a bug when a settlement requires to be evolved into a city before becoming a Capital
    - prevent minor factions to spawn an outpost in a territory where a major empire is already building an outpost
    - add more log output to track possible bug during transition

Attached Files:

Phor and NombreyApellido like this.
  2. FoxFox

FoxFox Chieftain

Great mod!

I can confirm the game (version in post above) won't load with FoW disabled in multiplayer.

It also gets stuck in "Turn pending" around turn 15-18 in Blitz speed. Seems to occur when an Empire gets split into liege/vassal upon entering the classical era. In my last game the Mycenaeans spawned a new faction called "Nomadic tribe" in the tooltip, but Mycenaeans in the diplomacy screen. The new faction had no territory or units and the original Mycenaeans did not adopt a new culture as the game got stuck.

Note on starting locations: I know the Middle East is full as it is, but the Phoenicians' starting region is really Syria. Though I understand the choice to have them start in Carthage anyway. The Harappans belong in Indus (they are the Indus Valley Civilisation after all).

3. Gedemon

Thanks, I'll move the Harrapans start. About starting positions, if you guys think you've found the perfect spot in a region, let us know, I think we may be able to distract SeelinCat long enough with Empire, Avatar and City names to prevent him to reshape the territories again (jk oc, many, many thanks again for that !)

about getting stuck, it may be strange to read, but sometime I'm frustrated when the game doesn't hang !

I mean twice now I had hangs that pointed to the mod from the logs, twice I added new log entries to pinpoint the problem without changing anything in the code's logic, twice the problem disappeared when reloading the previous turn save... So random problems may still occur.

But I've also fixed a few real (ie reproducible) issues, a 10 Old World players start with 6 additional AI players available on split and all territories not owned by the new Culture lost is a good background for testing various combinations...

I'll try to post a new version this evening.

SeelingCat likes this.
  4. Gedemon

Clipboard-22.jpg

The story so far: I've started Babylonian, was quickly surrounded by Egyptians, Assyrians and Hittites territory while only managing to get 2 scouts in my area, that start was a bit complicated !

Luckily when the Assyrian evolved to form the Huns Empire, the new leader of the old Empire was friendly and I survived long enough to evolve into the Persians, leaving behind a Babylonian city to a minor faction, and I managed to avoid Huns cavalry to settle in the north then evolved into Mongols. The new leader of my old Persian Empire was the initial leader of the Hittites (who evolved into Goths but was wiped out by the Huns...), which allowed me to debug the issues when resurrecting a dead player (next version will use all "sleeping" players before starting to resurrect "dead" players)

Sadly the second Phoenician Empire didn't evolve into the Romans, that would have made this map near perfect.

Also the player I've resurrected to become my vassal has more Fame than me, I'll add a check to prevent that case (only resurrect someone who has less fame) to try to limit possible exploits.

Spoiler :
    Clipboard-23.jpg

NombreyApellido likes this.
  5. NombreyApellido

NombreyApellido Warlord

starting positions can be tricky in the sense that "perfect" may go against True Location... for instance, in previous version of TCL i placed Memphis on the wrong bank of the nile and babylon far up the north to push for industry yields. i don't mind precise placement but i can see that other players could so my vote goes to keep the initial outpost as realistic as possible and if the player prefers to optimize, it can be moved around paying INF

just my 2 denarii

6. Gedemon

right, let's take this the other way and look at the "capital positions" and determine which one should be buffed with bonus features.

7. FoxFox

FoxFox Chieftain

Silly question maybe: What's the easiest way to see tile coordinates?

Is this about just the 10 starting positions for the Ancient cultures?

SeelingCat likes this.
  8. Gedemon

a few bug fix in the new alpha
    Code:
    - bug fix: check for an unexpected missing method interrupting the Era transition
    - bug fix: reset the alive state of dead players when re-using them to take over an old Empire territory
    - bug fix: reset diplomatic relation of resurrected players
    - use all "sleeping" players before starting resurrecting people
    - do not resurrect a dead player that has more fame than his future liege
    - add "Kiangnanum" to "Ming China" and "China" territory list
    - add "Tomium" to "Mongols" territory list 

9. NombreyApellido

NombreyApellido Warlord

one way is to load the map on bhktools. it starts at 0,0 in the top left corner. you can have a rough idea of several location looking at spawn points and moving them

another is to use a no fog method and to find the prime meridian for x and simply counting rows

--

i had a crash and ragequitted after 78 turns with the last alpha as nubians>aksumites. it wasn't related to the mod itself though, firefox crashed and it took the game with it, something about accelerated gfx i suppose

anyway, no other faction choose a new culture and only got to find elamites even though i had a good look at the map because i went full international commerce. found 7 majors, no one fell so i guess it's ok if i didn't get to see a new major

in terms of balance, i feel africa is quite there considering the cultures that it spawns: both egyptian and nubians have their IND bonuses impact reduced because of terrain. phoenicians do struggle but perhaps it can be boosted by persona bonuses now that we can have them tailored specifically for a given slot

i forgot to activate the loss of terrain option and only realized when about to jumping to classical... will try it again tonight because i want to check out the new confirmation menu about the losses and their compensation system

10. Gedemon

I'd like to have an easy way.

Yes there is BHKMAP, but I think the Y values are inverted (compared to what civ6 and HK use internally), you need to do (93-Y) to get the row value to set in the map file (or for me to hardcode in the plugin)

It's for the Ancient cultures, yes, with an extra position for "Rome" with the Old World Start (but that position is already a bit buffed), and a Sweden and Urals positions for the standard 8 players version of the map.

11. Gedemon

Surprise !

Spoiler :
    upload_2021-10-25_23-56-53.png

The Zhou have evolved into the Ming, leaving the South Asia to a new player, and then that new player evolved into the Khmer, spawning another new player for the Zhou...

Great, yes ? :D

Except that the game don't like dealing with a vassal of a vassal, so another hotfix incoming...

NombreyApellido and SeelingCat like this.
  12. Gedemon

so hotfix of the hotfix of the...
    Code:
    - allows Huns and Mongols to evolve without requiring them to have a City on the next Culture territory
    - when evolving, if an Empire is the vassal of another, the new player is set as a new vassal of the liege, not a vassal of the vassal

FoxFox likes this.
  13. FoxFox

FoxFox Chieftain

So here are some suggestions for spawn points. Hope I did the spoiler thing right (I'll edit it if I didn't).

Spoiler :
    HK_startpos.PNG

Spoiler :
    HK_startpos_2.PNG

Some notes:
    - I placed Memphis on the luxury deposit. It could be placed next to it on the west/left.
    - The Urals starting point is based on the Sinthashta culture. It's the earliest site where chariots were found and it seems a mixture between Indo-Iranian and steppe cultures, both genetically and technologically. So it could be considered ancestral to Persia, Maurya and Huns. The Hittites would be a fitting "clone" culture for them.
    - The Scandinavian SP could also be placed in Denmark (Nordic Bronze age) or Central Europe (Italo-Celtic/Hallstatt/Urnfield/Tumulus cultures)

Unrelated, but the Indus territory currently lacks access to the open sea - it has ocean tiles, but both adjacent land territories have ocean tiles that surround those.

EDIT:
    - I placed the Phoenicians at the Carthage region. Their true SP would be Syria, at bhkmap coordinates (36,40)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Gedemon likes this.
  14. Gedemon

how are coastal starts from a gameplay perspective ?

15. Gedemon

The 3rd leader of the Zhou evolved into another Mongols empire !

But there is no free Major Empire slot left now, the dead Goths have already been revived when the "European Phoenicians" evolved into "Venetians", so what's left of the initial Zhou Empire is now a minor faction.
    Spoiler :
    upload_2021-10-26_11-19-23.png
    upload_2021-10-26_11-19-40.png

FoxFox likes this.
  16. NombreyApellido

NombreyApellido Warlord

quick one: are alternate start points editable too? or are they locked in the dll?

FoxFox likes this.
  17. FoxFox

FoxFox Chieftain

Good question, I don't know TBH. If it's bad, most SPs can be easily moved a hex. The only problematic one would be Mykene. It should be just south of Corinth, but the nearest non-coastal tile is way off - Orchomenos or Iolcos would be better names for a city in that spot.

18. NombreyApellido

NombreyApellido Warlord

coastal cities have been discussed since forever because their footprint isn't as productive as inland ones... hopefully mods will allows us to buff coastal tiles for maritime cultures someday

phoenicians would do great with this plus being able to build their haven without a tech requirement

19. Gedemon

you can assume auto-city renaming by position at some point.

Phor and SeelingCat like this.
  20. FoxFox

FoxFox Chieftain

A temporary workaround could be to give coastal city cultures a free tech, or to remove the tech requirement for havens/harbours. IMO Phoenicians shouldn't have to wait for Classical to get access to transport ships either.

Sounds daunting - including culture/era specific names? E.g. the location-name for the Mycenaean capital would be Mykene, but for the Greeks Corinth would make more sense.

Incidentally, if you or anyone is interested in modding city names, I'm looking into semi-realistic alternatives for the Olmecs and Harappans. None of their cities are known by their own names, so they are currently named after the modern day site of the ruins.