[Vanilla] Mod with 5 Religious Beliefs (Civ 6)

Dexter Wang

Chieftain
I'm trying to create a mod that allows religions to have 5 religious beliefs instead of 4. I also wanted there to be an additional enhancer belief specifically. I thought it's as simple as editing the max number from 1 to 2 in the beliefs.xml file here:

Code:
<BeliefClasses>
        <!-- This match up to a code defined enumeration. Do not change their order unless you also change BeliefClassTypes enum -->
        <Row BeliefClassType="BELIEF_CLASS_PANTHEON" Name="LOC_BELIEF_CLASS_PANTHEON_NAME" MaxInReligion="1" AdoptionOrder="1"/>
        <Row BeliefClassType="BELIEF_CLASS_FOLLOWER" Name="LOC_BELIEF_CLASS_FOLLOWER_NAME" MaxInReligion="1" AdoptionOrder="2"/>
        <Row BeliefClassType="BELIEF_CLASS_WORSHIP" Name="LOC_BELIEF_CLASS_WORSHIP_NAME" MaxInReligion="1" AdoptionOrder="3"/>
        <Row BeliefClassType="BELIEF_CLASS_FOUNDER" Name="LOC_BELIEF_CLASS_FOUNDER_NAME" MaxInReligion="1" AdoptionOrder="3"/>
        <Row BeliefClassType="BELIEF_CLASS_ENHANCER" Name="LOC_BELIEF_CLASS_ENHANCER_NAME" MaxInReligion="2" AdoptionOrder="3"/>
    </BeliefClasses>

However,after some testing, this only allows me to have an additional enhancer beliefs but still 4 beliefs in total and I couldn't use "evangelize belief" anymore. So my religion now has a missing worship belief. I remember that the Byzantine Empire in Civ 5 is able to have one more beliefs than other players so I'm trying to make it so that every player in civ 6 can get 5 beliefs instead of 4.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Haven't worked with this yet but perhaps Apostles have set max 2 evagelize attribute somewhere, or there is value specifically for maximum number of beliefs. You only changed the maximum number of that class of belief.

EDIT: I would suggest modding one of other religious units, for example Missionary, to have EvangelizeBelief="true", so that they can evangelize. Then evangelize twice with Apostle. If Missionary will not be able to evangelize at 4 beliefs then it is surely defined outside of Apostles.

EDIT2: Then I would change in GlobalParameters RELIGION_INITIAL_BELIEFS to 3 or 4. If you won't be able to evangelize beyond 4 then you will be sure It is limit of Beliefs per religion set to 4 rather than evangelize action being limited.

Last edited:
I've done a lot with beliefs in my mod, Soli Deo Gloria. Here's what I know:

- Apostles can never evangelize beyond the 4th belief. There's something hardcoded in the Evangelize button so that it does not appear when a religion has 4 beliefs
- You can add beliefs by other means. In my mod, I had subsequent Great Prophets create "Great Sermons" (which is actually a terrain improvement) whose sole purpose was to add a belief to your religion.

Kind regards,
DB

Top Bottom