ModCast Episode 50: "Fingers Crossed"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Here it goes again. The fiftieth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Fingers Crossed" with a runtime of 56m44s, it introduces new regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin", Jan "Janboruta" Boruta as well as Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk who was a guest on the show's last episode almost a year ago.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m58s | Introductions
Getting acquainted with the show's new panel of four regular co-hosts.
- 08m25s | Cartography Room
Two creators, four Civilization V works: what is to be found in the "India Civilization Pack" by Pouakai is followed by his "Mexican Civilization", sukritact's "Phoenician Civilization" and finishes with a review of Pouakai's civ "The Buccaneers"; then, analyzing "The Sioux" by Tomatekh with connections to the "Blackfoot Civilization" by the show's own TPangolin (16m34s) and comparing and contrasting how one would re-design the game's Polish civilization with that which has already been done by LastSword (20m49s).
- 24m21s | Modding Spotlight
The versatility that is "Sukritact's Decisions" by sukritact that was "heavily inspired" by the same named mechanic in the grand strategy game Europa Universalis IV.
- 28m23s | Artist's Sketchpad
A comprehensive looking at the future of Civilization series modding through not only a retrospective on CivIII through CivV to date but also looking ahead to Civ: Beyond Earth and the question of when, not if, CivVI emerges.
- 48m03s | Profile
From four years ago, part of a conversation with Civilization V Senior Producer Dennis Shirk at developer Firaxis Games on where the game's Software Development Kit (SDK) is expected to take modding for the title... even before its release.

This is first of four episodes intended to comprise ModCast's sixth season and the second season in a row to feature a completely new regular panel. Fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Nice to see that Modcast #50 has been released :). It'd be good to hear your comments....personally, I really enjoyed speaking with TPangolin, Jan Boruta and AlphaShard and am looking forward to recording the next instalment!

I don't believe CiV will ever conceive of itself an overhaul as large as those in CIV. Those overhauls came out of necessity - when you could only ever have one mod active at a time. Besides that, the underlying approach to CiV as a competitive game puts some of us off even attempting the thought. But, to me, the way in which this iteration has promoted such widespread community interaction is more valuable. The way in which modding has been approached, or left to us, in this game lends more to mod makers than to mod users.

I would like to hear more discussion on civs, to be honest, and less reiterating what they do. Your experiences using these civs, and how they influence your own modding. It'd be nice to hear some of the processes going on behind your motivations and influences for your own modding in general; basically, to get to know you - these four Modders - better.

I'll look forward to the recording in which I can participate as guest.

:wow: Wow. You guys sound a lot different than I imagined.

Jan writes and presents his ideas so fluidly in English, you forget he has a Polish accent! If the Polish can learn to speak English so well, what the hell is going on in New Zealand that I can't speak more than English and Politics.

Nice to see that Modcast #50 has been released :). It'd be good to hear your comments....personally, I really enjoyed speaking with TPangolin, Jan Boruta and AlphaShard and am looking forward to recording the next instalment!
:)

Looking forward to it as well, including a return of guest co-hosts onto the show. Thanks to you and your fellow regular panelists for filling in once-again-vacated shoes to generate content to bring ModCast back into production.

:D

(Not that I'm heard on this as I'm not a panelist, but still...)

I would like to hear more discussion on civs, to be honest, and less reiterating what they do. Your experiences using these civs, and how they influence your own modding. It'd be nice to hear some of the processes going on behind your motivations and influences for your own modding in general; basically, to get to know you - these four Modders - better.
I expect this will come about more in subsequent episodes -- this was a "shakedown cruise", so to speak.

Really? TPangolin is Australian and sounded....Australian ;). I believe I sound quite British....Jan is Polish and more or less what I would have expected. You'll have heard AlphaShard in previous Polycasts...what did you imagine exactly :cooool:?

I think we were finding our feet, so to speak; also we were aware that the Modcast was meant to appeal to all levels of experience rather than those heavily involved in modding, so we were trying to be quite introductory and getting some people to marvel in some of the civs that have already been created.

I'll look forward to the recording in which I can participate as guest.
Me too.

All I can say is that Pouakai ought to put a pronunciation guide in his signature. :p Anyway, listening to it now, and really enjoying it. If I may say anything on the content, there's a fair bit about how some of the abilities are "bland" - they represent the civ well, that's what really matters, in my opinion. To do it in such a simple manner makes it more playable, though I'd agree that some of them are verging on underpowered. And I completely agree on the importance of aesthetics :D

I think we were finding our feet, so to speak; also we were aware that the Modcast was meant to appeal to all levels of experience rather than those heavily involved in modding, so we were trying to be quite introductory and getting some people to marvel in some of the civs that have already been created.

Fair enough. It was a pleasure to listen, nonetheless.

All I can say is that Pouakai ought to put a pronunciation guide in his signature. :p Anyway, listening to it now, and really enjoying it. If I may say anything on the content, there's a fair bit about how some of the abilities are "bland" - they represent the civ well, that's what really matters, in my opinion. To do it in such a simple manner makes it more playable, though I'd agree that some of them are verging on underpowered. And I completely agree on the importance of aesthetics :D

Firaxis' civs are certainly bland, in retrospect. But this is only because, gradually, modded civs have come to be directed towards a specific style of design, which combines flavour, historicity, and unique attributes that work in tandem to create a directive strategy. Firaxis civs generally don't direct you to play a certain way, as do some modded civs (and some of the BNW civs).

Really? TPangolin is Australian and sounded....Australian ;). I believe I sound quite British....Jan is Polish and more or less what I would have expected. You'll have heard AlphaShard in previous Polycasts...what did you imagine exactly :cooool:?

Nah. I heard TPangolin on a previous Polycast so that was at least one familiar voice. I'd never heard of AlphaShard until I listened to this one, so that's not really shocking. Mostly I meant you and jan - I guess I really didn't know what a Polish accent sounded like, and your voice...

...is what I imagined whoward sounds like. So for whatever reason I have a hard time reconciling his voice with you. :crazyeye:

TPangolin's comments were enlightening as usual:
"Sometimes I like to call him Pookie, although he doesn't really appreciate that..."
:lol:

Every time I heard Rob refer to Anno Domini I had this image appear unbidden in my head of Sir Laurence Olivier saying "Sulla! To the everlasting infamy of his name !" Silver-gilt general's curias with the flowing red cape and all. :)

I don't know quite how I would have evoked that image!
Probably just something that happens with us 'Murikans. We hear a disembodied voice speaking with a UK, err, pattern, and we think of Olivier or Charles Laughton or one or two others. OK...maybe it's just me because I also have a bit of a fetish for 40's and 50's movies.

Probably just something that happens with us 'Murikans. We hear a disembodied voice speaking with a UK, err, pattern, and we think of Olivier or Charles Laughton or one or two others. OK...maybe it's just me because I also have a bit of a fetish for 40's and 50's movies.
:lol: As a fellow 'murican, I can appreciate this. I think most 'muricans (such as myself) can imagine anyone with a thick enough British accent as an eminent English count. :crazyeye: Which almost certainly just drives the point home about how little many of our countrymen actually bother to know about other cultures. I'm not sure it really has anything to do with old movies.

We can never be (too) sure what audiences are thinking when they hear show voices. :D
I rather imagine TPangolin with some shades on, leaning back on his chair with his feet propped up on his desk, chilling in a dorm room that's a 5 min. walk from some beach in Sydney. :crazyeye:
Rob I can imagine sitting at a computer with all the curtains closed even though it's day, his computer sitting at the end of a spacious hallway befitting the mansion of an earl. ;)
And AlphaShard... just sitting at his homes desk which for whatever reason I imagine is in California.
And now I can't help but imagine jan drawing in a public bathroom. :lol:

TPangolin's voice didn't match the big bushy beard and the cigar hanging out of his mouth.

Nah. I heard TPangolin on a previous Polycast so that was at least one familiar voice. I'd never heard of AlphaShard until I listened to this one, so that's not really shocking. Mostly I meant you and jan - I guess I really didn't know what a Polish accent sounded like, and your voice...

...is what I imagined whoward sounds like. So for whatever reason I have a hard time reconciling his voice with you. :crazyeye:

TPangolin's comments were enlightening as usual:
"Sometimes I like to call him Pookie, although he doesn't really appreciate that..."
:lol:

I've been on several Podcast episodes and this isn't even my first Modcast episode either. I am glad you enjoyed it though. :goodjob:

Top Bottom