ModCast Episode 54: "Just Felt Dirty"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Not feeling guilty. The fifty-fourth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Just Felt Dirty" with a runtime of 48m24s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin", Jan "Janboruta" Boruta and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m09s | Miscellaneous
On the shifting attitude towards, and outlook on, Civilization V modding throughout 2014 and then considerations of copyright of works by, and between, modders (05m26s).
- 12m44s | Modding Spotlight
On the effort and inspiration behind the "Communitas Enhanced Gameplay" MOD for Civilization V (recorded for Episode 48).
- 28m38s | Mailbag
The results of the "2014 Listener Feedback Survey" for the show: few responses with big impressions.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Just today I was actually sitting around thinking, "Man, I wish they'd come out with a new episode of Modcast sometime". :D
But I'm getting a 404 on the link... :(

EDIT: Well, now, when I follow this link I get a broken link error...
EDIT2: Now I'm getting a 404 on the same link

The range of topics were disappointing this time; missing the segment on a mod of recent release (Leugi's Barbarian mod comes to mind), or on discussing something of ongoing production - would have made the modcast seem a lot more relevant to people who are regulars on these forums, I expect. Especially seeing as the Communitas mod is now superceded by the Community Patch; it's authors are long-gone and its stability dubious, so seems highly anachronistic to have devoted time to it. And the listener feedback seemed a bit self-indulgent and not really relevant to the listeners - modders and mod-users. But those are just my thoughts, and maybe it's hectic this time of year for everyone.

I haven't listened to it, but perhaps it was the way it was edited. We had an extremely long talk this time around - and Dan had to cut it into two parts.

We most certainly did talk about the Barbarian enhancements amongst other newer releases.

Also keep in mind that this was recorded a month or so ago.

EDIT: Yeah wow, there's a reason I didn't remember talking about the Communitas mod pack. It's because we didn't. Turns out that the discussion in this cast was from July 2013. I certainly won't argue about anachronisticity there....

Just today I was actually sitting around thinking, "Man, I wish they'd come out with a new episode of Modcast sometime". :D
:)

But I'm getting a 404 on the link... :(

EDIT: Well, now, when I follow this link I get a broken link error...
Pardon that: there was a link to the episode that was incorrect. It has been corrected.

The range of topics were disappointing this time; missing the segment on a mod of recent release (Leugi's Barbarian mod comes to mind), or on discussing something of ongoing production - would have made the modcast seem a lot more relevant to people who are regulars on these forums, I expect.
As it happens, there was enough material recorded for this episode for another -- it is to be published late this month or early next. The MOD that you reference specifically is to be apart of that, including some other specific works.

Especially seeing as the Communitas mod is now superceded by the Community Patch; it's authors are long-gone and its stability dubious, so seems highly anachronistic to have devoted time to it.
As noted in the show notes and on the show, that was recorded for Episode 48. I included it as it was a discussion of a MOD, with one of its authors, that was an extensive undertaking and is still available.

And the listener feedback seemed a bit self-indulgent and not really relevant to the listeners - modders and mod-users.
I respectfully disagree with this. An endeavour was undertaken to get listener feedback last December, so it was important to share the results of that feedback on the first episode this season. It is relevant to the audience as the regular panel responds to it including their thinking in response to it as they plan their coverage for 2015.

But those are just my thoughts, and maybe it's hectic this time of year for everyone.
With enough material for two episodes, I worked to include those segments that were more time sensitive than others first. In addition, there was extensive discussion on a collection of interrelated works that I felt was not appropriate to 'break up'. This is what led to my including the archived segment from Episode 48's recording that I was not expecting to.

I do understand where you are coming from with your concerns, though, and hope you found at least some parts of this episode of interest to you.

Everyone's voice felt weird this time around. I have no idea why.

Everyone's voice felt weird this time around. I have no idea why.
That is odd -- it didn't, and still doesn't, strike me as such. Did you download the episode or were you streaming it? I also take it you're referring to the the standard quality (i.e. non-"Dial Up") version.

Do the panelists' voices come across as unusual to anyone else on this episode?

It felt like they were too close to the mics to me, to be honest. Nearly blowing on it.

The range of topics were disappointing this time; missing the segment on a mod of recent release (Leugi's Barbarian mod comes to mind), or on discussing something of ongoing production - would have made the modcast seem a lot more relevant to people who are regulars on these forums, I expect.

Not only did we discuss the Barbarian mod, we also discussed four ancient civs that, at the time, had recently been released. It's a real shame they weren't included and a segment from 2013, now out of date, was included. I'm not sure why, but as Dan runs modcast, it's his choice. Hopefully he'll be open to this feedback and understand that by the time he broadcasts the segment on the Gauls, Thracians, Germans and Iberians, they'll be old news.

Not only did we discuss the Barbarian mod, we also discussed four ancient civs that, at the time, had recently been released. It's a real shame they weren't included and a segment from 2013, now out of date, was included. I'm not sure why, but as Dan runs modcast, it's his choice. Hopefully he'll be open to this feedback and understand that by the time he broadcasts the segment on the Gauls, Thracians, Germans and Iberians, they'll be old news.
I have already stated that I was, and am, open to the constructive criticism directed towards this episode. That said it is worth observing that the release of the Gauls, Thracians, Germans and Iberian civilizations occurred in December of last year: five-and-a-half weeks before the recording of this episode and what is to serve for Episode 55 as well. Its extensive discussion during the recording was not as news, but rather an in-depth overview and strategy: this entered into my decision on what to include on each of these respective episodes very much. As such, I don't see the civs' discussion being "old" if it's released later this month or early next as I noted above.

It should be noted however that the development of the mod community is much more faced paced and rapid than the development of the base game, which is relatively unchanged due to it being well... developed. To put it into perspective - The Communitas Modpack discussion took place just 15 days after BNW was released.

Dan, there's been a number of civs released or updated since the civs we discussed in the modcast. As TPangolin stated above, it's a fast-paced community at the moment and we need to try and keep up. I don't know, but do you have enough material from the modcast recording to put out an extra episode - or just a "Modcast special" that focusses on the discussion we had on the four civs?

Yes, there is enough material for an Episode 55. As I've acknowledged, this is to cover the four civilizations and the MOD named above. A glance of the modding forums here and within the Steam community indeed demonstrates that there are many works released and updated between ModCast episode releases... and for Civilization V alone even. This has been the case for some time, and both the volume and quality of this output is encouraging to see as a measure of the community's vitality.

If there is an interest from, and ability for, the ModCast regular panel to record episodes more frequently than is presently set I am open to having that discussion between those of us involved in their production. This would include a logistical review on how to make that happen.

So I've tried to listen to it again to see if the audio wasn't as weird as I thought as it'd be, and...

It just felt dirty.

I'm so sorry, guys.

So I've tried to listen to it again to see if the audio wasn't as weird as I thought as it'd be, and...

It just felt dirty.

I'm so sorry, guys.
Hope the audio wasn't so weird to you that you decided not to listen.

No, I did listen to it all. Personally it was pretty meh because I have a personal preference for when they discuss modding concepts (particularly design) rather than old pieces from a time before our current co-hosts, but then again that's just my opinion.

No, I did listen to it all. Personally it was pretty meh because I have a personal preference for when they discuss modding concepts (particularly design) rather than old pieces from a time before our current co-hosts, but then again that's just my opinion.
Though the old piece you refer to was one part of the episde, I certainly understand personal preference.

It's quite plausible that the current regular co-hosts were speaking more closely into their microphones this time around, though I didn't perceive it. By all means let us know if you find that the oddity continues in the recording for Episode 56.

Thal was discussing modding concepts and design, which you say interest you. His mods are probably the most comprehensive and elegant ever made, and are filled with interesting lua and sql methods that can serve as models for modders still today. And last I checked, his mods have hundreds of thousands of downloads and are still quite popular -- not many modders can claim such. So I don't really understand why you are so quick to dismiss Thal's insights in that short snippet as irrelevant.

Top Bottom