ModCast Episode 55: "Special Snowflake"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Unique as they come. The fifty-fifth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Special Snowflake" with a runtime of 48m09s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin", Jan "Janboruta" Boruta and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m17s | Modding Spotlight
Getting one's barb on through a constructive and critical examination of the 'Barbarian Invasion' event civilization releases for Civilization V: "The Gauls" by "sukritact", "The Germans" by "JFD" (10m46s), "The Thracians" by "Viregel" (21m58s) and "The Iberians" by "tarcisiocm" (26m58s).
Then, simple CivV game changes through some not-so-simple coding by "Leugi" in putting together the "BarbIE" MOD (34m17s).

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Pretty interesting. Again, personal preference, but I like when modders discuss concepts around modding. There were some interesting discussions around simplicity vs complexity, uniqueness vs usefulness, flexibility vs focus... I like those sort of discussions geared towards design (because I suppose a discussion around coding wouldn't be terribly interesting :p). Also the stigma that people have around mods and their overpoweredness was something I hadn't noticed - mainly because I download my mods from here.

From the two Civs I'm working now (one should be released within a few days, if not tommorow), one has an UA that is very simple to understand yet very powerful, the other is a massive stacking of other things. It's interesting, in a way, to compare those two Civs, while listen to their discussions.

In the end I'll probably just go back to listening to Yes' "Fragile" on repeat again.

Fantastic, thanks for releasing this episode so soon after the other. :)
Welcome :), and a thank you to you and your fellow panelists for recording enough material for two episodes in a single session.

Tarc, hope you enjoyed the episode as well.

I always enjoy new episodes.
Thanks for this one! :)

One thing you guys didn't discuss, that I mentioned in JFD's thread right after he released the Germans, was an additional UA perk: since you begin the game friendly with the barbarians, it's much easier to send out trade routes without needing to protect them . . . until you start going to war with the AI.

I always enjoy new episodes.
Thanks for this one! :)

Modcast is awesome. Enjoyed this episode, keep up the great work.
:king:

One thing you guys didn't discuss, that I mentioned in JFD's thread right after he released the Germans, was an additional UA perk: since you begin the game friendly with the barbarians, it's much easier to send out trade routes without needing to protect them . . . until you start going to war with the AI.
Ah, indeed. :D

Top Bottom