1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ModCast Episode 55: "Special Snowflake"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by DanQ, Feb 21, 2015.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Unique as they come. The fifty-fifth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Special Snowflake" with a runtime of 48m09s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin", Jan "Janboruta" Boruta and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m17s | Modding Spotlight
    Getting one's barb on through a constructive and critical examination of the 'Barbarian Invasion' event civilization releases for Civilization V: "The Gauls" by "sukritact", "The Germans" by "JFD" (10m46s), "The Thracians" by "Viregel" (21m58s) and "The Iberians" by "tarcisiocm" (26m58s).
    Then, simple CivV game changes through some not-so-simple coding by "Leugi" in putting together the "BarbIE" MOD (34m17s).

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

Pretty interesting. Again, personal preference, but I like when modders discuss concepts around modding. There were some interesting discussions around simplicity vs complexity, uniqueness vs usefulness, flexibility vs focus... I like those sort of discussions geared towards design (because I suppose a discussion around coding wouldn't be terribly interesting :p). Also the stigma that people have around mods and their overpoweredness was something I hadn't noticed - mainly because I download my mods from here.

From the two Civs I'm working now (one should be released within a few days, if not tommorow), one has an UA that is very simple to understand yet very powerful, the other is a massive stacking of other things. It's interesting, in a way, to compare those two Civs, while listen to their discussions.

In the end I'll probably just go back to listening to Yes' "Fragile" on repeat again.

3. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Glad you were able to find parts of the discussion interesting to you, GP, including timing for... relative discussion to two civilizations you're working on with the four featured on this episode. :D

4. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Fantastic, thanks for releasing this episode so soon after the other. :) This reminds me, I still didn't play as the Iberians. :sad:

5. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

That's good, I still have to update it :p

6. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Welcome :), and a thank you to you and your fellow panelists for recording enough material for two episodes in a single session.

Tarc, hope you enjoyed the episode as well.

7. Belzhorash

Belzhorash Chieftain

I always enjoy new episodes.
    Thanks for this one! :)

8. abob101

abob101 Chieftain

Modcast is awesome. Enjoyed this episode, keep up the great work.

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

One thing you guys didn't discuss, that I mentioned in JFD's thread right after he released the Germans, was an additional UA perk: since you begin the game friendly with the barbarians, it's much easier to send out trade routes without needing to protect them . . . until you start going to war with the AI.

10. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:king:

Ah, indeed. :D