ModCast Episode 56: "What Is That Supposed to Imply"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Choice words. The fifty-sixth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "What Is That Supposed to Imply" with a runtime of 55m55s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin", Jan "Janboruta" Boruta, Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk and first-time guest co-host Sukrit "Sukritact" Tanticharoenkiat.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m54s | Modding Spotlight (Part 1 of 2)
From getting into Civilization V modding, present projects including the venerable "Events and Decisions" work and a look ahead into the near future, all about "Sukritact" from the man himself. In order of discussion, other efforts of his raised are the civilizations of Tibet, Tuscany, Sami, Gaul, Chinkook, Khmer and Burmese.
- 22m23s | Miscellaneous
The panel tackles the ever present choice in civilization design: lead with research to place unique abilities or lead with unique abilities that is supported by research.
- 28m59s | Artist's Sketchpad
Examining two of the first fully modded 3D CivV leaderheads, Adolf Hitler for "The Empire of Germany" by "JFD" and Sir Henry Parkes for Australia by "TPangolin" as part of the 'Colonist Legacies' series; then, a general overview on what these works mark for the community (32m15s).
- 34m27s | Modding Spotlight (Part 2 of 2)
On a substantial update for the "Anno Domini mod by "Rob (R8XFT)" coming about and toward what is still to come.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

SUKRITACT!!!
Now we just need whoward and Pouakai to get behind the mic and my life is complete :D
Will give it a listen now.

Your life is complete without Leugi and Tomatekh? Who are you??

Besides, unless Whoward enters into a war against Firaxis, he's not going to provide his voice to us mere mortals.

I'm going to be honest here: For as big-name modders as Tomatekh and Leugi are, I really don't follow (or indeed use, for that matter) their mods and they aren't nearly as quotable as the others.
Case in point:
Jesus Christ. Tomatekh, you have the most amazingly indepth answers ever.
(Referring to this)

But so far, Sukritact has not only unveiled himself as a well-known modder, but also a comedian. :lol:

(And I know that whoward as a cohost is a longshot. He won't even use an avatar; I can't imagine him revealing his voice. :p)

"The problem with modding, and this goes back to even civ 2, there are certain people who rush it out and get it out there"

"People who do artwork in about 5 minutes"

I'm just going to go sit in the corner over there now. and drown in my own tears.

Pfft. I spend a whole 10 minutes on my artwork. :p

(Actually, I spend an hour on those selection screen map graphics, and they're still not great...)

I have to say though, i agree with the comment about aesthetics being the main thing. There could be two mods that add the same Civilization, but one has art from say - Janboruta. Which would someone pick?
I came late to the modding game, and i'll be honest, i don't feel like i want to mod a certain civilization because someone else has done it and they've gotten help from a decent artist.

Modding shouldn't be about how popular your mods get, it should be about enjoying it, but it feels like a waste of time if other people will just download the mod that has the better artwork.

PS. I'm guilty of only picking mods with decent art.

He won't even use an avatar

Which shows you just how good at art I am ;)

Spoiler :
To quote myself "I really suck at art (the average 6-year-old puts me to shame)"

I came late to the modding game, and i'll be honest, i don't feel like i want to mod a certain civilization because someone else has done it and they've gotten help from a decent artist.

It is indeed slightly depressing when you think you have a great idea for a feature, only to find out someone else has already done it, and you have to find a reason justify the implementation of that same feature without simply feeling like you're making a modpack.

Spoiler :
To quote myself "I really suck at art (the average 6-year-old puts me to shame)"

Solution: Use a premade avatar. :p
Even I started out with the Civ4 despotism fist.

Spoiler :
BONUS ROUND: Progression of my avatars:
Spoiler :
-> -> ->

And I don't know about you, but I don't know any 6 year old who can use any graphic editing software other than Paint.
It is indeed slightly depressing when you think you have a great idea for a feature, only to find out someone else has already done it, and you have to find a reason justify the implementation of that same feature without simply feeling like you're making a modpack.
Or when you feel the need to abandon a planned civ because someone else has already done it? Belgium and Bohemia are both on my list but one of them (haven't entirely decided which one yet) is getting the boot for an indefinite amount of time due to their having already been done... by one JFD. But that's also partly to make way for another civ that hasn't been done yet.

Or vice-versa: I released several civs only to have a version come out later by a more popular modder. JFD made a better Switzerland, More Civs made a better Minoa, CL made a better Inuit, and so on. I'm just waiting for the moment that someone assumes that because their version is more popular, it must have come first, and subsequently demands (quite wrongly) to know why I copied them.

And I don't know about you, but I don't know any 6 year old who can use any graphic editing software other than Paint.

I meant with pencils and crayons, not software ;)

I was planning Mercia, with a UI, and then Greater Europe did a much more superior idea that put me off it.
Occasionally you can come across civs that were never done, or if they were done they were done so long ago they aren't compatible with anything.
My civilization page has a list of loads of really tacky civilization ideas that are never finalized but i note down EVERYTHING that comes to mind and multiple times i've removed one from the list after seeing someone else do it.
and its such a shame theres no amazing artists going spare anywhere. (JFD stole Janboruta XD)

Spoiler :

I meant with pencils and crayons, not software ;)
I feel your pain. So far the only artwork I've been able to create is direct conversion of pre-existing jpg files to dds format, and were for the most part pretty aweful. Any actual creative artwork I've ever tried to do, in any medium (paper, pen, or software), would just have made the average stone giant pee itself from gales of laughter.

Well, at least I can do art. Looks like crap, but I'm getting practice on it.

I do agree that aesthetics plays a big part on modding, and that between two different Civs with different art I'd go for the better art one.

It was nice hearing this podcast.

I'm funny!? :eek2:

You aren't confusing me with TPangolin are you? Otherwise: YAY!

Jett sounds like a big ol’ goofball. He seems like someone I could hang around with for hours and laugh my head off talking about anything . . . well, maybe not programing code. No offense, TP, but if I had to listen to anybody drone on about computer programming, it had better be someone like Jennifer Lawrence.

Speaking of JLaw (how do you like them segues?), she, Bradley Cooper, and Robert DeNiro are filming a movie in the building next door to my company. I mean LITERALLY next door: there’s my company in our parking lot and in the lot next to it is a company that went out of business and they’re using the building as a set for a movie about mops. I’m a little fuzzy on the details, but hopefully there’s more to the movie than that, because a “movie about mops” sounds dreadfully boring. But hey, if Jennifer Lawrence wants to come over here in her off time and read lines of code to me, I’m all eyes . . . I mean ears.

[offtopic]

Here's a completely off-topic thought to make your head explode:

Jennifer Lawrence lipsynchs it while Robert DeNiro actually reads the lines...... :faint:

That might be simultaneously the best and the worst thing that has come out of the Internet.

Top Bottom