ModCast Episode 59: "A Certain Standard Now"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Unintentionally raising expectations. The fifty-ninth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "A Certain Standard Now" with a runtime of 51m05s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin" and Jan "Janboruta" Boruta with returning guest co-host Sukrit "Sukritact" Tanticharoenkiat and first-time guest co-host Adam "Pouakai" Partridge.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m47s | Modding Spotlight
The Wonder-fully extensive collection of Civilization V modification works by "Pouakai".
- 19m21s | Cartography Room
An affection for both the "Greatest Cities" and "Militia Defense" mods by "FramedArchitect" for CivV (recorded for Episode 58).
- 24m32s | Code Corner
The what, why and at times how of bringing back certain elements from Civ titles past to Civ titles present and possibly future (recorded for Episode 58).
- 31m46s | Miscellaneous
Outlining mod collaborations for Civilization V past and present, and panelists' favourite civilizations released within the community this past year (38m47s).

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

*GAAAAAASSSSSSSSSPPPP*
Pouakai's been on my list of people I've been eagerly hoping to hear on ModCast for a while now! :D
Giving it a listen now!

"Or as scapegrace would say, Pookie."
:lol::lol::lol:
Although you failed to mention that she also calls suk "Sookie". :p

Greekish civ starting with M... hmm. Minoans are already done, Macedon was already mentioned, so... Mycenae? Megara, perhaps, or maybe Milos?

And FWIW I've already started on a mod kinda like that mechanic about spreading wheat and livestock...

I certainly did! Inclusion of a small portion of unused stuff from the episode with FramedArchitect was nice, good to have those two mods of his covered. Great editing Dan, I thought we had much, much less substance than that :lol:

Art is the main reason I've never even considered tackling making a new civ. The standard is so high that unless I had a great artist to contribute to my project, I would be the laughingstock of the mod community. So, thanks guys :p

You could always join usssssss.......

Resistance is futile

Ha, well, I did hear you guys say you have civs with art that have no code. I could definitely work on one of those. I was working on another project, but it's such a huge undertaking that I've been in analysis paralysis for a while now just trying to figure out where to even start.

Art is the main reason I've never even considered tackling making a new civ. The standard is so high that unless I had a great artist to contribute to my project, I would be the laughingstock of the mod community. So, thanks guys :p

I never saw high-quality mod being done by a lone modder... or maybe I didn't saw enough mod?

I never saw high-quality mod being done by a lone modder... or maybe I didn't saw enough mod?
Leugi makes his mods mostly alone, though sometimes Jan helps with icons, and Suk and Tomatekh with minor lua.

I usually do stuff alone too but who knows what people consider high quality these days. :shifty:

Oh and Sukritact is master of both art and lua too so yeah, lotsa self sustaining modders out there. :p

For new civs? No, probably not many. Hard to find someone who's good at both. My digital art skills are minimal at best, but I'm a good coder.

Well, a mod requires code to work, art is always welcome(and present) though....
But were getting a bit off topic here.

I've been working mostly in C++ and Lua for a while now. Currently hemming and hawing over integrating my AI planning algorithm into the DLL, mostly just as an example of what it can do (I've already integrated it into EQEmu). I've only made one Lua mod for Civ 5, but I'm comfortable enough with the API to do more.

Top Bottom