1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ModCast Episode 60: "Filling Buckets"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by DanQ, Nov 14, 2015.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Taking to give. The sixtieth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Filling Buckets" with a runtime of 53m22s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jan "Janboruta" Boruta and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk with first-time guest co-hosts Lee "LeeS" Shipp and "vicevirtuoso".

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 04m14s | Modding Spotlight
    The beginnings and most recent works of Civilization V modder "vicevirtuoso" are discussed with the man himself; then, the same -- plus what more is in store -- to add to the collection of "LeeS"' works (13m36s).
    - 32m25s | Cartography Room
    From "JFD" and "Pouakai" comes the "Mercenaries" modification for CivV, and what this can mean for present and even past works for the game.
    - 35m18s | Miscellaneous
    Bringing out the wishlist for a Civilization VI for modding, beyond modding and back again.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

2. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

LEES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    I feel morally obligated to listen to this since it's partially voiced by - if he doesn't mind me calling him this - one of my "lua minions" who made Urartu possible
    We'll see if he mentions me I guess (if he does it will probably be complaining about me being a pain)

3. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

I will say it was the most fascinating of the modcast episdoes yet to listen to :)

Dan did a great job with editing. I remember feeling afterward like I had just bounced all over the place and been horribly disorganized -- but with the magic of Dan's editing none of that really shows through.

4. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Okay, so my after-listen comments:
    1) LeeS' voice is WAY lower than I imagined,
    2) VV's voice is WAY more 'murican than I imagined (for some reason I think his propensity for anime gave me the impression that he was Japanese and just happened to speak English really well or something like that),
    3) I think the episode should've been called something like "when Shaka attacks".

As for my Civ6 wishlist... hm.
    1) Lower turn processing time,
    1.1) Actually, just lower everything time, if that's a viable thing to do from the coding perspective​
    2) A more civ4-style world builder that
    2.1) can be accessed in-game (I guess IGE has filled that void for us), and
    2.2) Does not require me to select each tile individually and change it's features with drop-down menus. Seriously. Anyone who's ever used the Civ4 world builder knows that civ5's WB is probably at least 5 times slower. (Civ4's is more of selecting a terrain type as a 1x1, 3x3 or 5x5 brush and "painting" your terrain/feature selection onto the map) PLEASE FIRAXIS WHY YOU DO THIS TO US
    2.3) WB not taking 15 minutes to have a 50% chance of actually loading would also be nice. WB on my computer almost always stops responding. :/​
    3) Keep civ5 UAs,
    4) Keep religion customization,
    5) Specifically get rid of everything in this thread, and
    6) Access to the graphic engine, I agree, would be nice, and
    7) Actually make yield-related tables work with ALL yields, so we don't NEED stuff like Unified Yields!

I actually got into civ5 modding when I was sitting around in the civ5 forums giving suggestions in a thread on what would be cool to see in civ6. Now my wishes are more based from the coding perspective, you might have noticed. :p
    I remember there was another idea in that thread that I still maintain would be awesome to see in any civ game... but I'll refrain from revealing because I intend to make a mod of it to be released on my next birthday. ;)
    EDIT: Just conducted an extensive search of the forums and found the post that began my career in modding. I can now say that I've been a modder since August 7, 2013. If I cared, I would find out how many days that is and add it to my sig. :p

5. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

And raise his profile more? ;)

:)

Thank you kindly. :king:

6. DoktorApplejuce

DoktorApplejuce Champion of Kirkwall

This was actually really interesting, hearing the thought process behind how some of my favourite modders designed their respective mods.

On a side note, in respect to things to look forward to in Civ 6; I'd love to see modding become an easier thing, in all aspects. Especially with 3D modeling; I want to see creating a 3D leaderscene become an easier thing to accomplish, and have modding building and wonder graphics be possible, as well as custom effects for units.

7. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Glad you enjoyed the listen. :cool:

8. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I can't wait until they air "Shaka Week!"

Also, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that refers to WHoward as "Who-ward" when it's clearly "W. Howard" :lol:

9. DoktorApplejuce

10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

At least I assume it's W. Howard based on the capital "H" rather than the lowercase "h" but I could be wrong. My brain still automatically reads it as "who" nonetheless.

11. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

I personally pronounced it like hoe-WAHRD until I starting reading his UI tutorials and noticed that they were authored by William Howard. Strangely, ne'er did it cross my mind to pronounce the first syllable like "who".

12. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

I suppose this just goes to show how many people actually look at the Author line of a mod ;)

13. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

I didn't realize it wasn't pronounced who-ward until reading this thread.

14. DoktorApplejuce

15. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

And getting back on topic ...

My Civ6 top two wishes

1) A competent database cache mechanism (take a look at hibernate and ehcache)

2) Espionage from Civ:BE but moddable to add additional/alternative assignments