1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ModCast Episode 63: "A Lot of Speculation"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by DanQ, Apr 30, 2016.

1. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Gather round the water cooler. The sixty-third episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "A Lot of Speculation" with a runtime of 54m26s, features regular co-host Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley with returning guest co-host Adam "Pouakai" Partridge and first-time guest co-hosts "COF and "Typhlomence".

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 03m31s | Modding Spotlight
    Creating Modification Packs in Civilization V for fictional works by one panliest presents challenges similar and divergent from historical works and what another finds in doing just that (16m25s).
    - 21m00s | Miscellaneous
    Exploring barriers to modding Civilization V is followed by the influence a would-be CivVI (29m33s; recorded for Episode 60) and a modding wishlist for the latter title (39m36s).

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling TurnCast focuses on Civ multiplay.

2. COF

COF Chieftain

I forgot how painful it is to listen to my own voice.
    Great episode

3. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

We are often are own harshest critics.

Glad you enjoyed the listen. :) Thank you for being on the show.

4. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Woot, the Typhlomence interview! Gotta listen to this one! :D

5. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Duke of Savoy

A podcast for modders? What a peculiar phenomena.

6. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Hope you enjoy the listen.

Welcome new listener, or at least hope-to-be, new listener to the show. :) ModCast first launched in 2008 and has been covering CivV works since mid-2011.

7. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Pookie again! And COF!? I'll be interested to see what a Bosnian accent sounds like :D
    Giving it a listen now!

But wait... what happened to, um, ALL the normal cohosts except for Rob?

8. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

It was recorded in the grim darkness of the far future a few weeks ago when I wasn't able to attend, due to numerous reasons, main one being away from Civ 5 for half a year or so (send complaints to Todd Howard). Can't talk for TPang and AlphaShard, though.

I can only say we all recorded 4 hours of rambling today. :borg:

9. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Timezones and Round Globes and sequestrated Janborutas and all, Rob seems to need to hold down the fort solo from time to time. Though there was one point I wanted to lean over and say: psssst - Rob, you're supposed to let the guest talk while you dream up more leading questions to get the guest to talk more.

10. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

>Civ VI releases.
    >No Pope.
    >Civ VI: Return of the Empire.*

Firaxis, make Jan's artwork transferable. *imperial stare*

Great modcast :)

*JFD and Janboruta's Empire. Luigi's Empire shall fade into myth. Luegi's Empire confirmed for Atlantis. Leugi confirmed for apotheosis.

11. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

It's good to hear some talk about the sheer amount of compatibilities required. I'm not alone in the struggle to keep everything updated.

And i think it did me good to hear Typhlomence talk about his modding, and actually hear someone talk about making fictional civs. Because i've always been arrogantly rejective of fictional civs. But modding is just what you want to make, and what you want to see.

12. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

Hope you enjoyed the listen as well.

:)

Glad you enjoyed the listen.

I agree it was nice to hear from a modder working on non-historical civs.

13. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Well, that was fun! Normally I listen to it while doing other things, but ended up listening to it while working on some modding. XD

Fun to hear the discussion and contrast in approaches between Typhlomence and COF, though! (Also, now I know how to pronounce Typhlomence's name properly...)

14. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

freaking weeaboos

Very interesting Modcast, as always!

15. TranquilSilence

TranquilSilence Grumpy Snufkin

I was wondering when we'd be getting another one of these to listen to :p

Really interesting listen as always, nice to hear talk of the Ainu and such matters. The thoughts in regards to Civ VI were interesting as well - I was glad to note that some thought has gone (admittedly with limited info) into the potential reuse of assets, I feel like it's going to take a long time before Civ VI is better than Civ V with mods in any case.

I'm also liking the news that another Modcast with Jan et al. may have already been recorded :p

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

There were gaps! Honest! Dan also will have edited different parts together; Modcast is never broadcast as it's recorded - and thank goodness!!

Incidentally Dan, update your signature will ya ;) ?

17. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

:king:

Whoa -- I was even more behind on PolyCast episode releases than ModCast there, in terms of both time lapsed and episode numbers. Signature revised!

18. DanQ

DanQ Chieftain

It's all part of a coordination balance between arranging guests, conducting the recording, editing the recording and scheduling relase.

The next ModCast episode has, in fact, been recorded.

19. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Plus sometimes Dan takes a terrible drubbing on Polycast from Stephanie/Maki and the others....I think there's a measurable link1 between the other regulars on an Episode of Polycast being brutal to Dan and there being a bit of a delay in the release of the sister-programs. :mischief:

1If there isn't there probably ought to be :)

20. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Very nice episode. Kudos to Dan for good editing and using leftover stuff from older recordings - always good to know nothing goes to waste. And COF has less foreign accent that I do, I think.

But now I realise we covered the same points again in the most recent recording, it keeps happening over and over. :lol: