ModCast Episode 64: "Create Expectations"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Build momentum. The sixty-fourth episode of ModCast is now netcasting. Entitled "Create Expectations" with a runtime of 54m07s, features regular co-hosts Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley, Jett "TPangolin", Jan "Janboruta" Boruta and Scott "AlphaShard" Dirk with returning guest co-hosts John "Neirai" and Sukrit "Sukritact" Tanticharoenkiat. This episode was recorded on April 30th, 2016, one-and-a-half weeks prior to the official announcement of Civilization VI in development.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m27s | Modding Spotlight (Part 1 of 2)
What works the show's guests have been up to Civilization V-mod wise since their most previous appearance on the show, with a focus on Zimbabwe.
- 07m20s | Miscellaneous
Considerations in civilization design within Civ and exploring best, and worst, case scenarios for modding a Civilization VI (16m52s).
- 36m48s | Modding Spotlight (Part 2 of 2)
With a highlight of both the Chimu and Nigeria, recent civilization releases from the ongoing "Colonialist Legacies" series.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling TurnCast focuses on Civ multiplay.

With the time I got the feeling Neirai Jr. wants to say something too. :D

Very nicely edited once again, Dan! :D Thanks for your work and good release date, not too early, not too late after the Civ 6 announcement. It's kind of funny that none of our "worst case scenarios" for Civ 6 have been confirmed nor denied as of yet. :p

I wonder how weird it is to grow up in a world where your dad is casually talking with people in like 3 different continents from your own...

Oh, and of course, nice podcast, I sincerely enjoyed this particular episode, which felt particularly smooth, the transitions were real nice, not enough talk about Chimu tho :shifty:

Woooooooo! Giving it a listen now! Check back in an hour for my profound-as-usual comments :p

Very nicely edited once again, Dan! :D
I appreciate your kind regards. :king:

Thanks for your work and good release date, not too early, not too late after the Civ 6 announcement.
Welcome: this was one of those rare instances where I felt it worthwhile to note in the news item about when the episode was recorded, given what followed shortly afterwards given much of the conversation.

It's kind of funny that none of our "worst case scenarios" for Civ 6 have been confirmed nor denied as of yet. :p
Yea, that was/is a relief, :lol:.

I wonder how weird it is to grow up in a world where your dad is casually talking with people in like 3 different continents from your own...
As weird as it will be to Neirai's child when he learns that when his father grew up, that would have been uncommon I espect.

Oh, and of course, nice podcast, I sincerely enjoyed this particular episode, which felt particularly smooth, the transitions were real nice
Thank you kindly. :)

not enough talk about Chimu tho :shifty:
Well, you could listen to that part of the episode again for more of the same... :mischief:

Woooooooo! Giving it a listen now!
:cool:

Check back in an hour for my profound-as-usual comments :p
:D

As usual, a great and heart-warming distraction from uni work :D

I am excited for the next modcast, in which the reveal of Civ VI is inevitably discussed. I'll try to get out Burgundy before then and perhaps for once Jan can talk about a civ that is, design-wise, of his making.

Now. Natan as a guest when? :p

On the topic at hand, I would advance modding concerns about the future of 'dummy' objects (buildings, policies, etc.). I have also heard nothing about unit promotions, which are often useful markers for niche abilities. I'm wondering whether we'll have to learn new ways of exploiting the game :p

These casts are always so good! Keep it up! :D

I have nothing to add, except that I'm probably gonna quote Neirai quite a lot :p

These casts are always so good! Keep it up! :D

I have nothing to add, except that I'm probably gonna quote Neirai quite a lot :p
I think you should definitely add something like "Comes Through With the Code" to your sig.

----------------------------------------------------------------

And I'm thinking of ways I could steal the giveth-a-tech, taketh-a-tech method to unlock or re-lock all sorts of stuff. [edit]even though I used this method of tech-giving for Era Buildnigs it never occured to me to use it for improvement builds. A worker that 'quits' the build because 'enemy units are near', though, might be a bit of a problem if the method was used for regular workers.

I think you should definitely add something like "Comes Through With the Code" to your sig.

Or I could add a Neirai quote to it ;)

Couldn't use the one I wanted (which is "We're exploring the outer rim of weird designs and strange ideas because at this point we're sitting here and half of our design discussions are 'Hey I've come up with this cool idea!' 'You can't do that because Sukrit's already done it. Or JFD's already done it. Or LastSword's already done it.'") for space reasons :p

This was fun for sure! Echoing The Specialize in looking forward to the next one and hearing all your thoughts about Civ 6.

My fantasy broadcast for that episode would be if you could get Ed beach or Denis (Denis ?) Shirk on the phone as the guest. Somehow, though, I don't think either one would want to expose themselves to the intrusive nosiness a group of mad-makers would display. I have a feeling "I really can't talk about that yet" wouldn't accomplish much except to make Rob or Jan or Alpha or Tpang simply re-phrase and re-ask.

Although it would be nice on the modding front to get some actual information out of Firaxis, such as:
  • there are like 800 additional World Wonder mods on Steam Workshop and CFC and Reddit and such, so are World Wonders going to 100% require a tile-use in order to construct them, or will mod-makers be able to have the wonder be 'placed' (for lack of a better term) within the city tile?
  • Same question, but this time for all the Building-Mods on Steam and Elsewhere.
    • On a personal selfish note, does this mean my Era Buildings mod is DOA for Civ6 ?
  • Will we be able to add new types of Districts if we decide the ones Firaxis adds to the game don't quite cut it for the sort of thing we are after ?
  • Will Civ6 use lua or will it use GarbleFargle1 as was used in Civ4, or will it use something entirely new?
And that isn't anything like to a complete list, but it would certainly be something to talk about for such an episode, even if all that can be discussed is hopes dreams and worries because there's no actual usable info at the moment.

1 whatever the equivalent was in Civ4 to Civ5's lua

Another great ModCast.
This was fun for sure!
Thanks, gents. :)

Will be interesting to hear the next one that's recorded after the Civ 6 announcement after hearing you all take about Civ 6 in this one. Keep up the good work.
... looking forward to the next one and hearing all your thoughts about Civ 6.
Indeed, expect the ModCast panelists' reactions to the first pieces of information, rumour and speculation about CivVI since its official announcement to be front and centre on the next episode.

... GarbleFargle1... [..]

1 whatever the equivalent was in Civ4 to Civ5's lua
"GarbleFargle" has a nice ring to it. :lol:

Dan, I'm surprised you didn't title the episode "In Dan We Trust."

group of mad-makers

was this a typo or a Freudian Finger Slip?

Dan, I'm surprised you didn't title the episode "In Dan We Trust."
I didn't even consider the phrase a contender for the title actually, as it was at best tangential to the conversations taking place.

Or, looking at this from from another angle, the phrase could be used to apply to all episodes... where "II", "III" etc. added in subsequent iterations would get repetitive after a while. :mischief:

Top Bottom