ModCast Episode 73: "Knock It Out of the Park"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Home run. The seventy-third episode of ModCast, entitled "Knock It Out of the Park", is now netcasting. Lead co-host Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley is joined by fellow regular co-hosts "vicevirtuoso", John "Neirai", Lee "LeeS" Shipp with returning guest Sukrit "Sukritact" Tanticharoenkiat in this 35m49s outing.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 00m32s | Modder's Spotlight
Recent Civilization VI works by the show's returning guest: the Swahili, prompting consideration of heavily faovuring coastal starts for a civilization, custom leaders of Siam and Ethiopia, and at length enter the Policy Manager modification.
- 23m15s | Mailbag
Responding to feedback first from Episode 71 and then, more substantively and in turn substantially, from Episode 72.
- 26m01s | Code Corner
The Application Program Interface (API) for CivVI is compared to Civilization V with focus on the former's modifier system versus programming language Lua in the latter, and Lua's presence otherwise in VI.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling TurnCast focuses on Civ multiplay.

Last edited:
Another great show. Was very interesting to hear from Sukritact and what tools he uses.

I think the feedback from experienced moders like yourselves would prove quite valuable to the author(s) of which ever mods you take a look at. :mischief:

Last edited:
Another great show. Was very interesting to hear from Sukritact and what tools he uses.

I think the feedback from experienced moders like yourselves would prove quite valuable to the author(s) of which ever mods you take a look at. :mischief:
Assuming Dan does not have to chop it out for the next episode (erm, that's all I'll spoiler).

We haven't really done excruciating code line-by-line reviews for any mods we've talked about this season, both because of time constraints and because it would probably bore the average listener to tedium.

We haven't really done excruciating code line-by-line reviews for any mods we've talked about this season

But we should.

How many lines do you want ? :D

Well, you know, that's exactly how I feel sometime when coming back on some part of my code a few months later, the worst part being when I've left some comments in the middle of it, and I do remember that this comment was explaining the whole chunk and was perfectly clear in my head when I've written it, but now... And of course when I come back to those parts of code, it's because I need to change it for new features... So then it's:

"ok, I've done it once, I can do it again, let's grab some coffee and let's find out how and why does this work"

but I learn, I change the comment, put it on multiple lines, hopping that I'll understand it next time I'll come back in that part of the code...

Assuming Dan does not have to chop it out for the next episode (erm, that's all I'll spoiler).

We haven't really done excruciating code line-by-line reviews for any mods we've talked about this season, both because of time constraints and because it would probably bore the average listener to tedium.

Was not thinking code reviews, but more along the lines of possible additions or changes that would improve a mod. Or perhaps missed opportunities. etc

Top Bottom