[MODCOMP] Civilopedia Promotion Info

talchas

Prince
This mod adds a Civilopedia tag to the CIV4PromotionInfos.xml that is displayed after all the regular promotion info in the pedia. Apparently, the Civilopedia field was in there, but unused. All this is is a new copy of the schema for the promotion xml file, a changed promotion pedia page, a new promotion xml file with Civilopedia tags inserted and a new Text xml file (optional, but good for organization). Combat 1 has something in its pedia tag as an example.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 668
  • Promotions.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 314
Good work talchas, Screenshots?

Screenshot added and correct version uploaded.

One question though, you can only add one item using the tag or can you add multiple items?

I believe you can put multiple items by doing [NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET(or whatever I used for the bullet before)]. I'm not sure if [NEWLINE] works though, I'm at a comp w/o Civ4 right now.

Think there will ever be a way to do this for traits and civics to add more descriptions to them for ones that have had features added to them via python but which dont show up as effects when viewing them? For example in FfH which you work on,, being able to have a description about the enslave chance when viewing the slavery civic, or the fishnet bonus from seafaring?

talchas said:
I believe you can put multiple items by doing [NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET(or whatever I used for the bullet before)]. I'm not sure if [NEWLINE] works though, I'm at a comp w/o Civ4 right now.

Yeap, this is one of the ones I use and it works great:

Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_FIRE2_PEDIA</Tag>
		<English>[ICON_BULLET]With Summoning 2 allows the unit to cast Conjure Fire Elemental.[PARAGRAPH:1][ICON_BULLET]With Sorcery 2 allows the unit to cast Fireball.</English>
	</TEXT>

naf4ever said:
Think there will ever be a way to do this for traits and civics to add more descriptions to them for ones that have had features added to them via python but which dont show up as effects when viewing them? For example in FfH which you work on,, being able to have a description about the enslave chance when viewing the slavery civic, or the fishnet bonus from seafaring?
Dunno, what I did may well work for those things - anything which inherits from CvInfoBase should be able to load a <Civilopedia> tag if you add it to the schema. Then you would just have add the Civilopedia text in the python before adding it to the big text box.

With the SDK, then almost certainly.

I just wanted to bring something up before any mod component makers include this change. Understand that if we do start changing the schema it could potentially make it harder for people to merge the different components together.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Yes it will be somewhat harder, but I was thinking on adding promotions like you new ones into mine. But maybe not.

Zuul said:
Yes it will be somewhat harder, but I was thinking on adding promotions like you new ones into mine. But maybe not.
Well, I have been trying to use your promotions when possible to make merging our mods together as easy as possible :).

Talchas, can we make a slight change to the CIV4UnitSchema.xml file in your zip?

Can you change line 669:
Code:
<element type="Civilopedia"/>

to:
Code:
<element type="Civilopedia" minOccurs="0"/>

This way if someone merges a mod that uses your new modified CIV4UnitSchema.xml file they won't have to update every single promotion in the CIV4PromotionInfos.xml file? I have already tested it and confirm that this change works.

What do you mean they are running??

TheLopez said:
Talchas, can we make a slight change to the CIV4UnitSchema.xml file in your zip?

Can you change line 669:
Code:
<element type="Civilopedia"/>
to:
Code:
<element type="Civilopedia" minOccurs="0"/>
This way if someone merges a mod that uses your new modified CIV4UnitSchema.xml file they won't have to update every single promotion in the CIV4PromotionInfos.xml file? I have already tested it and confirm that this change works.

I'd considered doing this, but I left it out because its more in keeping with how Firaxis did things and a single find/replace can fix it. However, I have changed it, as it is easier.

I can just about guarantee that this has nothing to do with my mod because this mod only changes the civilopedia, nothing else.

Top Bottom