1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding Social Policies: What Can And Can't Be Done?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Anondod, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Anondod

Anondod Chieftain

I'm looking at implementing a whole new set of policy branches and policies for my mod. Is there anything in particular I should be aware of before I start regarding what can and can't be done with social policy modding?

I've googled a bit and searched at this site but I haven't found much that hasn't been about particular mods and those mostly rebalance the existing policy branches.

2. Grave

Grave 1 Goat = 400 Horses

A lot of the XML tags that aren't already utilized in the game do not work. I ran into this when I was making adjustments to the Social Policies.

Although, there are a couple tags that were used in previous versions of Civ5 that still work. Fascism's policy effect still works, for example.

3. snarko

snarko DLLer

The policy screen is horribly hardcoded. This thread has some information and an alternative screen (post #19). If you're hoping to have more policy trees, or be able to have more policies per tree, you will need an alternative screen.

4. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

As Grave said many of the unused XML tags are not actually hooked up inside the DLL, so they won't work unless you change the DLL. That coupled with the policy screen issues means that while it is most certainly possible to implement serious Policy changes it is quite a pain to do so.

5. Anondod

Anondod Chieftain

Thanks for the info.

Am I right in assuming that as long as I stick to the same number of policy trees, policies per tree and type of policy effects I will be able to stick to XML?

I'll have a look at the other thread and see what I can steal from there.

So far I just have some general ideas of what I want to do with the trees; mostly I know that I want the policy trees to be focused around other ideas.

6. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

You can add more than the current number of policies via pure xml. Just create a new policy and change the GridX and GridY values so that they'll fit comfortably within the tree.

7. Anondod

Anondod Chieftain

That's good to know. Thanks!