1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Alliances

Discussion in 'Civ 4 - Travel Through Time' started by dacubz145, Jun 25, 2011.

1. aob86

aob86 King

if you want to do it and come up with a bonus for them then carrier fighters would be an interesting touch to add in, carrier dive bombers and torpedo bombers would be cool too but just still any fighters should be able to go on a carrier.

2. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

@ Skyfire
    Stolenrays said that in another mod, crashes went away when he switched to low level graphics. Because your crash did not come up with an error that might be it. Can you try to change your graphic level and try again (keep on animations or you will get weird graphic errors)
    @ aob

Edit: Also please check out this thread, i posted something for you on second post
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11763478#post11763478

Theres not really any bonus I can think of. If any fighter is able to I do not see the reason for adding it. I just thought that I should split it because something like the Mustang I dont think ever went on a carrier (correct me if I'm wrong). I think they tested it but the war ended prior to anything happening. So since the mustang will probably have some bonus over regular fighter, and then america can place it on their carrier, in a scenario that gives them an advantage when in real life it wasn't there.

Let me talk to jamie on this one but I think it is possible. I can create a carrier-based fighter class. I then can create the Spitfire variant you were talking about as a UU. You can build it just like spitfire, but you can also take a normal spitfire and turn it into the varriant. Basically it would be the same concept as upgrading it - it would cost a bit of money but it would then just turn into that unit.

3. aob86

aob86 King

what about making it so they cant go on carriers as you said and make a carrier fighter class as you said but also make an promotion for normal fighters which allows them to go on carriers but your idea i like also and as for the mustang as you said they were in the process of making an carrier born version when the end of the war put at end to it but that doesnt mean it couldnt go on a carrier just end of the war and first gen jets meant there was no point.

4. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

But at the same time it does mean they couldnt go since earlier in the war they flat out werent on carriers, so to place them on carriers would give america an unrealistic advantage

Promotions dont work like that, its been requested before and trust me I would love it but just doesnt work

Jamie and I are actually talking about something pretty interesting in the SDK/Python thread. Basically each UU will have variants. When you have a unit selected you can click a button and it will bring you to a screen. At that screen you can make a variant of the unit for gold of course.

Ex. You can build the Spitfire which Can;t go on carrier. You click on the spitfire, you then click a button it bring you to screen. You press Supermarine Seafire. You loose some gold, Spitfire then changes its name to Seafire, and is now able to go on carriers.

5. aob86

aob86 King

that sounds really cool if you can add it.

6. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

Jamies pretty confident he can add it, its just I might need to add the variants as actual units - which would restrict the variants from the 1000's (because its all just names and small stats I will add many) to the low 100's.

Only downside is AI can't use it - which personally I do not see a problem with. I think we can set it up so they are variants in scenarios though for the AI , they just cant do it on their own.

7. j_mie6

j_mie6 Deity

yup probs actual units, makes everything code wise easier and the result wil be more effective. It is a pretty cool idea though!

8. aob86

aob86 King

i love the idea but your going to have 100s of UUs for planes and then each UUs could have up to 4 different variants per UU thats ALOT of units

9. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

More or less it would be for custom game though. There arent many variants that would be worth placing one unit into a scenario so more or less it would be something cool to do post the start off a scenario or in custom game - I was just sayin gif tehres an important one we can probably place it for the AI in the scenario

10. skyfire

skyfire Prince

It made no diverence. I already play with low graphics. I had frozen animations turn on, this is turned off too now. Did you try my savegame or anyone else? If you have the same ctd very late in the game turn i know i don't have too upgrade my computer:badcomp:

11. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

Like I said though I cant really check it out because the mods being completely redone - next update should work well since all errors should come out when it is redone, and if not I got my debug DLL to check our any that arent

12. FNP

FNP Chieftain

Something real world to consider: Carrier aircraft were purpose built for the stress of landings, had a wider wheel base for landing roll out stability, larger wing area and larger control surfaces for approach stability, lower landing speeds, and a shorter wider bladed prop for deck clearance and usually had folding wings ... the whole thing resulted in a rugged design that was heavier and simpler than land based designs ... most attempts to mod lighter weight land based fighter designs didn't turn out well. For instance, the Fleet Air Arm lost more Sea Fires [Spitfires] to carrier landing accidents than to enemy action. Germany experimented with the 109 design and had similar problems.

If you wanted a good carrier airplane you had to design a carrier airplane.

13. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

So are you suggesting putting in a seperate class or what?

14. FNP

FNP Chieftain

No separate class required. Just a muse on why aircraft like the p-51 wouldn't have made it on carriers. The best representation for the US WWII would be the F-6F. A-6M for IJN. The UK chose to primarily utilize US fighters and was very successful with the F-4U. Hurricanes were mostly CAM's, Seafires weren't well liked. FW-190 might have been modified successfully, not the 109. Germany didn't have an engineering problem, the Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine could never agree on anything and the Luftwaffe was better placed politically so no German carrier was ever adequately funded or supported.

The performance deltas between carrier and land based fighters was not significant. Many/ most carrier aircraft were more rugged and could take more damage due to heavier structure and air cooled engines. IJN was an exception. The A-6M was the best in turning performance with good range but was particularly vulnerable to damage. Japanese designs favored lightness to enhance performance and range but at a price.

15. aob86

aob86 King

@ dacubz145
    since the WW2 scenario is starting with the invasion of poland, do you think more polish cities should be added? or leave it as is so that its a short war like in real life?

you may have this already i dont know all the wonders in the mod but with the passing of Neil Armstrong i was wondering what about a moon landing wonder/project?

16. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

Hi Dacubz, I love your mod Modern Alliances (I was going to make one but never found the time :p ), but I can't seem to be able to use a custom map with your mod.

I tried using the generic Europe map that came with BTS to play, but keep coming up with this error:
    Spoiler :
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
    Application Version: 3.1.9.0
    Application Timestamp: 4a0c27e6
    Fault Module Name: CvGameCoreDLL.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ff229f3
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00196f30
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 8485
    Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
    Additional Information 3: a4ea
    Additional Information 4: a4eacf9d27e5ee8cb3a70ac0035eb8ab

I tried changing the info in the WBS even from this:
    To this:
    I don't know if you can do anything to help or explain to me what I'm doing wrong, yes I edited the file to allow 50-some civs, and here is the map I was trying to use, I have the most current version of your mod.

Never mind I solved the problem:

I copied over all the information (except plot/terrain descriptions) from GEM in the private maps folder to the Age of Discovery map I was trying to use. That seems to have solved the problem, guess I posted too soon. :blush:

Attached Files:

17. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

Still can't beleived he passed away...was pretty shocked when i heard so - one of the most famous americans in modern history (although personally think he was way to famous and liked buzz aldrin (2nd man on moon) more but thats a convo for a less sensitive time)
    But i mean moon landing is already in - it is in default civ 4 so not sure why a wonder would be needed

As for poland, yes that would make sence. i was thinking about that a bit though, that while you/we add things like specific units, we should take note of any that no longer existed in later scenarios so we can easily figure out which ones to take out or switch
    the mod runs with 60 civs not 50 so it needs to be 60. if it isnt than the map will crash.

If you have any maps that work with the mod, you are welcome to make a thread in the forum and post it so others can use it, and i will link it up for you in the main threads

18. aob86

aob86 King

yes it is very sad hes passed on.
    while yes its called the apollo program its to send colonists to Alpha Centauri and not to land on the moon, with you changing the victory conditions id assumed youd either changed it to something harder to do like the mission to mars one in ROM or removed it. i was thinking something like "mission to the moon" project with a bonus for either building spaceship parts or just a science bonus.

so you think should add more polish cities? because my second thought on it was well if its left with the number they currently have atleast the war wont last a long time as it only lasted a month in real life.

as for the units, well when i start editing the scenario in notepad i was just going to remove all the land units at the same time as the tech as 90% of the land units will be out of date anyway. not sure which way to do the navy units tho.

19. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

Not really sure what you mean by land units :confused: im just saying, if you place a unit like a british light cruiser (random unit) that was sunk in july 1940, take note of that. That way when you go do a scenario in august 1940, you do not need to go through every unit again to see if it still was in use, you just know delete this, this and this

also i think adding one would be good since i mean that is where things are happening. If a turn is a week, 4 turns should definatly be enough. just make some adjustments against poland (rmeove city defence), and of course germany will outnumber them greatly in units so i dont think that should be a problem - of course we can test it to make it just right

20. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Hey, if this gets updated to 3.19, then it could be used in this mod.