Modern Day 2009 Earth Map v.3.19

Sommerswerd

Shades of the Sun
Supporter
Modern Day Earth Map

Compatible with BTS 3.19 only. :D Here is the link to Download: Earth 2009

To Play:
1. Download the Worldbuilder file by clicking the link in this post (above) that says "Earth 2009"
2. Drag and drop (or cut and Paste) the file into your Civ4/BTS/PublicMaps folder (or your World Builder Folder)
3. Run BTS and choose "Play a Scenario" or "Custom Scenario"
4. Select Earth 2009!
(Or for Step 2 you can just Double-click the worldbuilder file "Earth 2009" and it will play as well)

This Map is Based loosely on 2009 World conditions. This is a simple, 18 civ, Huge Earth Map. It is set for Marathon speed, and I have never tried it at any other speed.

It runs at average rate (for late-game) but nothing inordinately sluggish or infuriating.

Details
This is NOT a Mod. No files have been changed, no unique units have been added, There are NO new civs or Leaderheads. Accordingly the Map plays with No MAF errors. :woohoo:

The Map itself is just the WW2 Map that comes with the game, which has been painstakingly 'worldbuildered' to get it to approximate 2009 conditions.

The Map is set to load automatically with the NEXT WAR Mod, but I believe that can be changed by right clicking the World Builder Save file and selecting "Open With." You open it with Notepad (or an equivalent text editor) and in those first options listed you can change the text that says "Mod=\NextWar\" to say "Mod=0"

I use Next War so that you still have some techs to research when the game starts instead of everyone just researching "Future Tech." The "cracked egg" event is always turned off in the newest BTS versions unless you are actually playing the "Next War" scenario itself, not just the Mod. So "cracked egg" is off in this Map.

***Warning!:eek:***
Don't read the spoiler if you want to be suprised by the conditions in the game, army strengths, unit locations etc... Remember you can change whatever you don't like in World Builder.

Spoiler :
You will find that the offensive armies are all pretty weak, but the defensive garrisons are all pretty strong... The relative power of the nations is accurate, more or less... USA is the strongest, followed by Russia, UK and the EU in no particular order. Korea and Iran/Libya are the weakest.

Russia is the only Country besides the Arab nations that has any spare Oil. Russia is also one of very few Countries that has any Nukes. I started out by giving all the nuclear nations large arsenals, but all that happens is the AI Nukes the living daylights out of all the barb cities.

Africa and South America have VERY LARGE barbarian contingents to deal with. They also have many valuable resource concentrations/monopolies if you can get rid of the barbs.

Britain has two vassals, Canada and Australia. South Africa is also just incorporated into the game as British territory. If this offends anyone, I apologize, but when the game starts most of the militarily weaker countries become vassals on their own right away.

As a result, I just set the vassals to be a little more consistent with current world politics and diplomatic relations. Also, the UK has to be a certain size to be able to have vassals as large as Canada and Australia, so using South Africa as Southern UK seemed like the best way. The Jewelry corporation was also a consideration in making this choice (more on that later).

The Arab world is divided into two teams. "Iran" includes Pakistan, Syria, Libya and some more of North Central Africa. "Saudi Arabia" includes Turkey, Egypt, Ethiopia and most of Northeast Africa. Iran is Saudi Arabia's vassal, and both nations have strained relations with India and the US.

Some comments
1. Israel is US territory. I was not sure how else to handle this... Sorry if this makes anyone unhappy.

2. I know that Elizabeth is not the real "ruler" of Australia. I just really like the Elizabeth leader and wanted to include her in the game. Also she has British sounding music which I thought was appropriate for the Aussies. Finally, technically, Australia does recognize Elizabeth as their "Queen." Plus, female leaderheads are just plain cool. :)

3. I know that President Patil is just a figurehead and that India is really governed by the Prime Minister. However I wanted to include Victoria for many of the same reasons stated in support of Elizabeth.

4. I know the US seems Overpowered. They are meant to be the Superpower in the game, and it is not supposed to really be that challenging to "win" with the US. For a greater challenge, try playing the other Civs instead or raising the difficulty level.

5. I know the resource distributions are not accurate. They are designed to simulate scarcity, and produce trading neccessity.

6. I know the armies are small and outdated. I have to admit that I was just lazy about this. I figured that most people would want to build / or not build their own armies (or add them in Worldbuilder).

7. I know that France, Italy, and Spain are not really "vassals" of Germany. However, I thought this was a good way to simulate the European Union, and Germany already had the most territory and biggest army (from the WW2 scenario).

Disclaimer
This is just a MAP, designed to give a loose interpretation of the Earth as it exists today in 2009... No more, no less. I really hope that someone more skilled, and more patient than I would take a look at the map and do some remodeling of their own. Please feel free to use this Map as you wish. If you want to give me any credit... that's great too!:goodjob: I welcome any and all feedback! :D. I really intended this Map to be a starting point for folks who want to make Maps/Mods based on Moden Day Earth conditions.

Again, This is JUST a MAP, and Not to be confused with the incredible World 2009 Mod that several great modders are currently working on... I highly recommend that you check it out... I fact, I started this map primarily because I was impatient waiting for the full Mod to come out and I figured there were some folks out there like me who wanted to just play a normal Modern day Earth Map.

Nations
Here are the Teams/States #s for easier Modding/editing:
Spoiler :

North America
1. US Team # 2 – Blue
2. Canada Team # 8 – Dark Pink
3. Mexico Team # 12 – Green
Cuba - Russia
Caribbean - Divided

South America
4. Brazil Team # 16 – Dark Dark Green
5. Argentina Team # 14 – Light Blue
Venezuela - Barb

Europe
6. UK Team # 0 – Orange
7. Spain Team # 13 – Pink
8. France Team # 6 – Dark Blue
9. Italy Team # 5 – Dark Purple
10. Germany Team # 1 – Gray
Scandinavia - Germany

Asia
11. Russia Team # 4 – Dark Red
12. China Team # 7 – Dark Yellow
13. Japan Team # 3 – White
14. India Team # 17 – Light Purple
15. Korea Team # 9 - Brown
Indo-China – Divided (China/India/Australia/Japan)

Middle East
16. Saudi Arabia Team # 11 – Light Green
Iraq - US
Afghanistan - barbs
17. Iran Team # 15 – Cyan
Israel - US

Africa
South Africa - UK
Libya - Iran
Egypt - Arabia
Ethiopia - Arabia
Central Africa - Barbs
West Africa - Barbs

Australia
Australia Team # 10 – Light Orange

Corporations
All Corporations are founded and spread all over the world.

1. Aluminum - US (General Motors?)
2. Cereal - US (General Mills/ Wall Mart?)
3. Construction - France (Vinci / Bouygues)
4. Mining - Gemany/EU (BMW/Volkswagen?)
5. Jewel – UK (DeBeers)
6. Sushi - Japan (Ichiro Seafood/ Nippon Seafood)
7. Ethanol - Brazil (Brazil has recently achived steps towards renewable energy/energy independence with Sugarcane ethanol, so I thought it was appropriate to give them a monopoly on Standard Ethanol)

Religions
All religions are founded with shrines already built.

Settings
Finally, the Map's Time setting is set to Months, but this can be changed by editing the text of the Worldbuilder file.

Thank you for the message, Sommerswerd, I have already downloaded.

I started the game as Vladimir Putin, and...
I was struck by the Russian civics: Police state (maybe), Nationhood (yes, It seems), Slavery :eek: :eek: :D :D (in modern Russia!!!), State property (I highly doubt), Free Religion (correct). I never seen 2009 mod, but IMHO, he use their own civics.
Another, that surprised me:
1) Russian (true Russian?) sity Toyohara on Sakhalin.
2) Russian sity Havana! IMHO Havana should be owned by Hugo Chavez. Last Russian military base in Cuba was closed under Yeltsin. Maybe "World 2009 mod" creators do not believe in this :D.
3) Other Russian cities: Fulonochije :D, Nurilsk :D.
4) Russia (and other states) is absolutely beggar (0 gold & -394 gpt on start).
5) Maybe Somalian sities need to make barbarians? I am not sure, but...
6) Russian president - not Putin.

End, at last.
Queen Elisabet - vassal of Gordon Brown :D :D :D :D :D

My verdict: many things must be changed! I can do it myself, If You want. But still Great Work.

P.S. You work - scenario (not map). Would be better, if you put this in "Civ4 - Scenarios". You decide.

Make European Union an unique country so you will have place for others nations

I was struck by the Russian civics: Slavery :eek: :eek: :D :D (in modern Russia!!!), State property (I highly doubt)
I agree, This was an oversight. I will change this in the text file. I did not think too deeply about the civics, although I did change some. I thought I changed Russia and China to free market, but I guess not. I had to change US from Mercantilism to Free Market and I tried to change all the civics at once. I guess I missed that.

1) Russian (true Russian?) sity Toyohara on Sakhalin.
I did not change many City names. I was more concerned with the land the cities covered than with the names of the cities.

Please tell me roughly the locations of any cities you think are mis-named or misplaced, and I will change/relocate them (if I agree with you ;)).

2) Russian sity Havana! IMHO Havana should be owned by Hugo Chavez. Last Russian military base in Cuba was closed under Yeltsin. Maybe "World 2009 mod" creators do not believe in this :D.
Yes I thought for a long time about the best way to establish some competition for the Oil in the Gulf of Mexico... My concerns/thought process:
1. I did not want to give the Oil to the US or Mexico outright.
2. I also did not want to give the US Control of Cuba to the US that did not seem right since Cuba is more like an enemy of the US than an ally.
3. I agree that making Cuba part of Venezuela would be the easiest way to go... However, what Nation should I remove from the game to Put venezuela in?
4. Security is also a concern... I wanted Cuba to be protected by a large enough nation, that the US would not just attack it for the Oil resource. If I put Venezuela in the game, it will not solve this problem.
3) Other Russian cities: Fulonochije :D, Nurilsk :D.
See my above thoughts on city-names:D
Russia (and other states) is absolutely beggar (0 gold & -394 gpt on start).
Yes this is intentional to simulate the global economic collapse. The US start with 0 :gold: and -700GPT!!! You have to figure out ways to get yourself out of it!:goodjob:
Russian president - not Putin.
Yes, Dimitri Medvedev is President, Putin is Prime Minister. However... Everybody knows that Putin runs that country. There was a long discussion about this in the World 2009 Mod forum, and they also elected to go with Putin. Also, Stalin was already in the scenario (from the WW2 Map) and the Russian leaders (especially Stalin) are more like Putin than Medvedev.

Queen Elisabet - vassal of Gordon Brown :D :D :D :D :D
See my explanation in the spoiler. I admit, it is a little funny:D

My verdict: many things must be changed! I can do it myself, If You want. But still Great Work.
Thanks for your feedback Atoll!:goodjob: I will keep changing and updating the map... But if you want to take a crack at it feel free to!

Make European Union an unique country so you will have place for others nations
Thanks for visiting Lachlan.

Germany is already the "Germanic European Union" including most of Europe(Scandinavia, Poland, etc.) Civ has so many great European Leaderheads and nations I thought it would be kind of a waste to make all of Europe One nation. That is why Italy, France and Spain are Seperate. Also, one Euro nation, even excluding the UK, would be too powerful I think. Including the UK, (I think UK is part of EU in real life) it would be twice as strong as Russia or US :eek:.

My question is... What nations would you suggest?:)

I would suggest adding the Car Mod dll that allows for 40civs. More Civs and shorter turn times would make this an excellent scenario. That way you could split up the European Union and still have room for other important nations.

My question is... What nations would you suggest?:)

My idea is that you can have European Union, one nation but with a weak army to illustrating the fact the EU is dwarf power, militarily speaking...

But EU is the first economic power in the world, a colosse with "pieds d'argile"

So you could add Israël, South Africa and other regional powers...

Please tell me roughly the locations of any cities you think are mis-named or misplaced, and I will change/relocate them (if I agree with you ;))
OK. Your scenario starts in 2009, so:
Leningrad>St. Peterburg
Stalingrad>Volgograd
Sverdlovsk>Ekaterinburg
Krasnovodsk>Turkmenbasy

Other renames:
Nurilsk>Norilsk
Tabur>Tiksi
Toyohara>Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (or Sakhalinsk)
Chagda>Chita
Flonochije>Serov

Many non-russian sities also named incorrectly. True names You can find here: World Maps.
By the way, sity of Contanza - non-Russian (even non-Soviet), but Romanian sity!

European Union, one nation but with a weak army to illustrating the fact the EU is dwarf power, militarily speaking...
I strongly disagree:
NATO forces in Europe / Russian forces in Europe
Divisions _________ 23 _________________ 3
Regiments ________ 84 _________________ 5
Tanks ________ 10 000 _______________ 500
Artillery _______ 19 000 _____________ 1 200
Aviation ________3 900_______________ 200

Maybe, EU is dwarf power, but NATO (the same states) - great power! But I dont know, what percentage of Europeans & Americans? Maybe add many american units to simulate strong NATO and dwarf EU?

My idea is that you can have European Union, one nation but with a weak army... So you could add Israël, South Africa and other regional powers...
OK so your idea is to:
1. Delete Spain, France and Italy and combine them all with Germany
2. Add South Africa, Israel and what other country?
3. What about UK? They are part of EU as well right? Do you think that UK should be combined with Germany as well?

I would suggest adding the Car Mod dll that allows for 40civs. More Civs and shorter turn times would make this an excellent scenario. That way you could split up the European Union and still have room for other important nations.
Thanks Nutnut for checking out the Map.
1. I intentionally did not include any user created Mods to the map because I wanted people to be able to add their own Mods with minimal difficulty. I have found that most user created Mods lead to MAF failures, especially in late game. I wanted the Map to be as simple as possible, very user friendly.
2. How would you suggest making the turn times shorter?
3. Also, won't increasing the number of civs make the turns longer?
4. Im not sure where to find the Car Mod dll you mentioned... I have been looking for a way to increase the number of civs without changing anything else. It is hard to find a Mod that allows this, because Modders always seem to add some additional stuff.
OK. Your scenario starts in 2009, so:
Leningrad>St. Peterburg
Stalingrad>Volgograd
Sverdlovsk>Ekaterinburg
Krasnovodsk>Turkmenbasy

Other renames:
Nurilsk>Norilsk
Tabur>Tiksi
Toyohara>Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (or Sakhalinsk)
Chagda>Chita
Flonochije>Serov

By the way, sity of Contanza - non-Russian (even non-Soviet), but Romanian sity!
I am working on the next version, and I will change the city names as you suggest.

You mentioned that Contanza is a Romanian city... Which nation do you think should control the city? Romania is obviously not in the Map, so one of the counties that are in the game have to control the city. If not Russia, who do you suggest?

Thanks for all the great help. Please keep reviewing the map and making suggestions... Any other suggestions so far?

This dll (just place it into the Assets folder) allows for up to 40 civs but also decreases turn times by up to 15%.

Attachments

• CAR.rar
    975.5 KB · Views: 292
This dll (just place it into the Assets folder) allows for up to 40 civs but also decreases turn times by up to 15%.

And those who run on MAC OS would can't play this scenario, like me :mischief:

Serves you right for making so foolish a choice. Perhaps he could make multiple versions.

How does it decrease turn times? What does it change to make turn times faster? What about MAF errors?

I just want to know what it is that I am adding before I add it, or I won't be able to troubleshoot.

If it works well then I might do two versions... One with 18 Civs and one with more civs.

Go to their thread in the Modpacks section. I don't know how these things work.

Queen Elisabet - vassal of Gordon Brown
See my explanation in the spoiler. I admit, it is a little funny

May be You should replace the entire "system of vassalage" to teams? Then EU still be submitted as several Nations, but they will never fight with each other. This is necessary for two reasons:
- For example, If I - France, why should I give part of my GNP to Germans? Why the Germans receive half my game score? And, French AI can also "rise up" against their German "Master" :D. IMHO, must not be wars or even diplomatic clashes in modern EU.
- This would be more historically correctly. Modern developed democracies should not be able to attack each other.
What do You think about this?

About Constanza - should be owned by South-European country (including Italy and Greece, but, sorry, I forgot its name :(), or EU, if will be a one state.

About North Korea - why this state including 2 chinese sities (by the way, one of them - Haerbin>rename to Harbin) and ewen Seoul! So, PDRK in You scenario - more stronger, than in the real world.

About renames - I can continue this, If You have interesting this.

replace the entire "system of vassalage" to teams?
What do You think about this?
I think this is a good idea, but I would not want to make the teams permanent. What if France wanted to break off? Can you think of a way for them to start off on the same "team" but be able to turn on each other later on?

About Constanza - should be owned by South-European country (including Italy and Greece, but, sorry, I forgot its name :(), or EU, if will be a one state.
Good Idea, I will change Constanza to Italy-owned city.

About North Korea - why this state including 2 chinese sities (by the way, one of them - Haerbin>rename to Harbin) and ewen Seoul! So, PDRK in You scenario - more stronger, than in the real world.
Are you saying that you think Korea is too powerful?:confused: When you play the Map, Korea is the weakest civ in the game, with the lowest score. I know that Seoul is part of South Korea, but South Korea is not in the game. What changes would you suggest... without making Korea any weaker than it already is?

About renames - I can continue this, If You have interesting this.
Yes please:D

I can continue this, If You have interesting this.
Yes please

Sity renames:
Europe - only Warschau > Warsaw (Warschau - the German name)

Africa - many old names from age of colonialism. I am not sure, how they are called now. So, sometimes I simply indicate the name of the modern city at this place: Piccola Roma > Asmera, Stanleystad > Kisangani, Fort Lamy > Ndjamena, Luluaburg > Lubumbashi.

Madagascar - Diego Suarez > Antsiranana, Port Dauphin > Amboasary.

Asia - Bengalore > Bangalor (or Bangalora), Saigon > Ho Shi Minh, Rangoon > Yangoon.

I am not viewed: North America (INHO, there should not be errors) and China (their sitynames - big mystery for me :D)
That's all. Sorry, if I forgot something!
Happy New Year!

Top Bottom