1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Day Communism Boils Away Oppression

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheezy the Wiz, Aug 17, 2014.

1. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Insert news story of 'American mother calls police for help with controlling her raging autistic teenage son - Police turn up and shoot the kid dead' here.

TBH Id rather live in a communism than live in the USA.

2. Daw

Daw Emperor

Yes, but anyone's world is not an integral homogeneous lump.

There's an individual who looks out of him(her)self onto surroundings with his/her eyes.

There are people around him/her he/she sees the most and interacts the most with, like loved ones and best friends, - these would be the inner world. And the individual does have a stake there. Because the individual falls into those people's own inner worlds, and they mutually care about each other to keep that world together for their own safety.

Then there are people out there on the horizon, whom the individual knows of and interacts occasionally. Some acquaintances, or acquaintances of acquaintances, like co-workers you say "hi" to but not more, or a shop clerk you saw the first and the last time in your life and gave a smile to when receiving your change, or just someone you heard of. These would be the border world. The Individual has no apparent reason to specially care about, while not having any reason to be hostile towards, too. And it is important that he expects no hostility in return for the same reason. Like you're not on guard every time someone passes by.

Then there are people known (or considered) to be jerks or evil, and the individual tries to keep them beyond his horizon. A natural safety reaction: it's better to keep as much distance as possible.

But all those people who the individual has neither seen nor heard of, are also there beyond the individual's horizon. All them constitute the outer world. And that world contains all the jerks in the world, and plus all those unknown "aliens" you don't know what to expect from. And thus you can't reasonably count on having any stake there at all.

Besides, them being beyond your horizon also means you are beyond their horizon as well, so they can't reasonably count on having any stake in your world as well.

Therefore, all three statements are correct, yet none is absolutely so:
    - People do have a stake in the world (goes to the inner world);
    - People should have a stake in the world (goes to the border world);
    - People don't have a stake in the world (goes to the outer world).

As for the cops shooting kids, cops are also individuals. Besides, they are individuals dealing with more sh*t every day than one could see in the whole life. That leaves a mark on personality sooner or, if they have nerves of steel, later. This mark shows in treating people in their border world as if they were still aliens, not people.

Surprisingly, the same friend/foe recognition system malfunction in the personality leading to failure to recognize people in people is basically what's making a criminal a criminal. And, also surprisingly, criminals also fall into the category of people dealing with more sh*t every day than one could see in the whole life - just like cops.

Now, when does a person start to deal with sh*t?

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Is that what happened?

Still, that did stop him raging. It cannot be denied.

Tough love.

And proof of the effectiveness of the armed police force.

4. Daw

Daw Emperor

And also (though somewhat unexpectedly twisted) proof of the point that the police is only needed when parenting fails...

EDIT: And also an illustration of how people (like Borachio and myself) don't give as much as a damn about someone (like the shot autistic kid and his poor mother) who is beyond their (our) horizon and thus don't have a stake in their (our) world. The reaction would probably be a whole lot different if this woman and her son were in at least our border world (like if we knew their names or saw their pictures or learned anything about how they lived).

5. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I'll leave the links to a couple of my old messages, where I posted images depicting misery and horrors of ordinary people's lives in the USSR :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12805504
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12807297

6. timtofly

timtofly One Day

You realize that you make the "powers that be" squirm when you normalize people around the world.

7. Daw

Daw Emperor

Making them squirm is a very humanist approach I reckon.

Listening Pink Floyd:the Final Cut:the Fletcher Memorial Home

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

I don't know that humanism works without pain.

9. timtofly

timtofly One Day

If humans were honest with themselves, no one would be a humanist.

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Godliness is pain too. It can be a serene sort of hurt.

11. timtofly

timtofly One Day

My point was I don't see humans as honestly saying that they put their life into the hands of every other human at this junction in time.

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Yeah. OK. I did realize I was maybe being unnecessarily flippant.

I don't think flippancy is a sign of a lack of sympathy for this poor woman and her autistic son, though.

Being all po-faced about them isn't going to help either.

13. Daw

Daw Emperor

Yep, and somewhat flippant neutrality toward someone in the outer world is in fact a perfect prerequisite for further friendliness. Not too bad, and neither can reasonably be any better.

OTOH (and that's not about you) predisposed hostility to the outsiders and also failure to seize it enough for it to not affect the "first contact situation" with them is a way worse and entirely different story.