Modern day liberalism boils down to the tolerance of oppression.

Let's see...

Don't care about gays either way, dislike gay activism
Friends with lots of non-white, dislike the way race is used politically
Have no problem with females, dislike feminist activism
Have no problem with Muslims, dislike jihadists
Actively engage in science. Don't think our way of life should be totally dismantled by environmental activists.
Believe strongly that healthcare should be available, don't think private insurance should be taken away. (ok, no parallel here...)

See a pattern? Being against activism does not equate with being against the group of people. I firmly believe most conservatives are like me. Unfortunately, too many of our self-appointed spokespeople come off as being anti-X where the real position is anti-X-activism.

This is like those unconvincing christians who claim they just hate the sin, not the sinner.

Basically, you're in favour of equality and tolerance in theory, as long as its quiet and out of your sight. If people get noisy or untidy about it, perhaps in the wrong seat of the bus, then you feel you must be against it.

Let's see...

Actively engage in science. Don't think our way of life should be totally dismantled by environmental activists.
Believe strongly that healthcare should be available, don't think private insurance should be taken away. (ok, no parallel here...)

See a pattern? Being against activism does not equate with being against the group of people. I firmly believe most conservatives are like me. Unfortunately, too many of our self-appointed spokespeople come off as being anti-X where the real position is anti-X-activism.

I respond here because your post was well suited there.

I'm not really sure how you'd argue that gay rights activism is to gay people what violent jihad is to Muslims. That seems like it might just a little bit bigoted?

Presumably this is where DaveShack tells us that we're quite free to disagree with him, but he'd rather we didn't do so in a public forum where he's forced to acknowledge that our disagreement exists.

I miss Dom3000 and hes crazy double think.

Dom3000: Genocide is wrong and always is wrong
Friendlyfire: What about God Genocide the world in a huge flood ? If Genocide always wrong dose that mean God is wrong ?
Dom3000: I'll ask my Sunday church teacher about that and get back to you
Dom3000: I have to leave CFCOT now
Friendlyfire: :O

Genocide is what people do. When God judges, be careful that you are not in the way of his judgement.

So far I've been waving my private parts in it's general direction and I report no Ziggy-genocide as of yet.

Hey God! Yeah you! Whooooo!

Let's see...

So you basically want these groups to be quiet

Well, inactive, at any rate. (I suppose quiet and inactive are much the same thing in the political sphere, tbh.)

Genocide is a-okay when god asks you to do it

No offense, c_h, but you're never going to convince anyone here to share your views. Ever. I'm not sure what the benefit of expressing them here is.

No offense, c_h, but you're never going to convince anyone here to share your views. Ever. I'm not sure what the benefit of expressing them here is.

It's pretty harsh but true. Then again, is anyone going to convince anyone? Special cases aside, disagreements like the ones seen on CFC are often a matter of entirely different cognitions clashing with each other. It is like convincing a person who is colourblind to red and sees it as blue that both are distinct colours.

I don't know so much. While I wouldn't say anyone has convinced me of much (beyond fairly trivial points of fact), that's not to say my views haven't shifted at all because of their influence. Maybe not always in the direction they intended, of course.

Well I don't know about actually making people share his views, but interacting with Christians here certainly improved my opinion of them.

I have had my mind changed on numerous occasions on here. I've also learned (for example) that Mormons tend to be on average pretty cool and friendly people, even if they believe crazy things that can't possibly be true.

The thing with c_h is that his points of view are so extreme and out there, that nobody is really going to take him seriously. Plus, he has a habit of repeating the same talking points instead of actually educating himself during the discussions and using the experience to progress as a person. Instead, he repeats the same points ad nauseum, never learning from any of his interactions with people, seemingly unwilling to learn new things at all.

If downtown was on here every day saying that drinking tea is evil and that we're all going to hell, while he rolls his eyes, and quotes to us the exact same talking points as to how tea is poisonous and is going to poison our souls and lead to eternal hellfire, and ignores all counter points, then I'm sure nobody would take him seriously either and ask him why he bothers to post here.

If downtown was on here every day saying that drinking tea is evil and that we're all going to hell, while he rolls his eyes, and quotes to us the exact same talking points as to how tea is poisonous and is going to poison our souls and lead to eternal hellfire, and ignores all counter points, then I'm sure nobody would take him seriously either and ask him why he bothers to post here.

C_H is actually interesting though.
If you can't convince him that's your failing not his.

Top Bottom