1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Era Erebus?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by DarkReborn, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Makes sense I suppose. So all old artifacts are destroyed, sure, but my idea was they stored up magic and thus you could use whatever magic equipment at hand as a type of magic battery.
    It would be a one time use of course.

2. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Sorry for thread necromancy, but you just balanced magic. :goodjob:

Nah, maybe not, that be kinda annoying. Or would it!? Wouldn't it be fun to crusade against Amurite as the Sheaim because their great number in mages make your mages useless? Destroying them and killing all of their mages suddenly makes all mages more powerful again, and who is the new magic top dog? You are! :p

3. loocas

loocas Chieftain

Echoes of the religions find their way into the songs of the Great Prophet John, the Great Merchant Paul, the Great Sage George, and the Great Bard Ringo:

Octopus Overlords in "Octopus' Garden"
    Ashen Veil in "Helter Skelter"
    Empyrean in "Sun King"
    Council of Esus in "You Won't See Me"
    Fellowship of Leaves in "Let It Be"
    Runes of Kilmorph in "You Never Give Me Your Money"
    and The Order in "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

4. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

I think it'd actually be pretty damn nifty if the rate at which mages gained xp was inversely proportional to the number of living mages (with reasonable maximum and minimum rates). It'd make sense lorewise, as well as providing a potentially very interesting mechanic in itself. I'm not sure how possible it is to code, though.

5. DioBrando

DioBrando Chieftain

Spoiler :
    Psychoactive drugs makes you able to control magic better, and the active contents in LSD and mushrooms are actually made by the same stuff that mana nodes are created from :crazyeye:

6. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Floating onto the main topic, vaguely, I recall I was playing Sonic 3. When I saw the Carnival Night Zone which I'd long forgotten, especially the background, my first thought was "that seems like what a modern-era Balseraph city would be..."

7. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

I think modern Jubilee would be a strange mash up of
    New Orleans / Las Vegas / Paris

8. LeonardoDFinchy

LeonardoDFinchy Chieftain

Perhaps invoking laws of Magidynamics could be invoked? That the amount of mana in the world cannot change, but mana can be changed from one form to another? Maybe most mana has entropised into a form most mages cannot use?
    Entropy Mana could be the dominant form, but has spread out and become part of reality itself, slowly making things fall apart, but is so ubiquitous and slow that nobody notices? That life expectancy is reduced, but counteracted by modern medicine?

Full of question marks, I know.

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Ah yes Thermodynamics, we can treat Mana as a special type of energy which can not be destroyed, in a way it is like water, finite but indestructible

So Mana can be converted to one form or another but not destroyed, but there can be Mana seepage from holy sites to specific gods (Mana/God corresponding of course)

Spoiler :
    The Industrial Revolution of Erebus was initiated by the Kuriotites who were the first to use crop rotation, this in turn caused massive food increase in the cities starting their metropolises to grow in population, this quickly spread around Erebus...

From this increased population, the Luichirp invented new things such as the Wind, Water and Saw Mills, The Wind and Water were quickly harnessed to provide grinding of the new food into meal, then the Luichirp realize that because of food boom that crops were rotting in the field, so they invented paving golems to create roads that were even and never got muddy, then it was discovered that the looms powered by golems could be modified to attach to Water Mills that were on fast running streams, so they increased weaving capacity 200-fold, causing a major spike in cotton prices, quickly the Hippus so this as a cash Idea so they became slavers, enslaving goblins to work the cotton, so the Luichirp became very rich, inspiring the Khazad to merge with them, this Newly forged Dwarf nation was becoming increasingly rich owning all the Banks, much of the Power Looms and operating most of the Mines, with their new found wealth they looked for new lands to colonize for their bounty, so they Hired a group of Lanuns to serve as their navy, (these Lanun break aways eventually became fully integrated with the Dwarven Empire) The Dwarven Empire funds a massive fleet of explorers, who eventually map nearly all coastline of Erebus, they find a new continent, entirely devoid of sentients which they quickly colonize sending massive numbers of Golem Artisans and Miners who rapidly exploit the continent, making the Dwarven Empire ridiculously rich as they found massive gold.

They also during this Golden Age discovered the Art of Gunpowder, sparking massive arms build up, with Gun wielding Golems and Cannon ones too, quickly making others tribute them, including the Bannor, but the Amurites became allies withe Dwarves voluntarily so they enjoyed privileges, because of their Skilled Magic.

Electricity becomes discovered which they use to create this liquid called Oil (in conjunction with Air Mana), which burned extremely well and the automobile becomes invented...

You probably will realize I have grammar issues such as that block text being 1 sentence...

10. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young Chieftain

If people can only channel magic from their surroundings, that would mean magic would still be (relatively) strongest where there are fewest people, correct?

That gives some hope for the Malakim (deserts) and Doveillo (tundra), but leaves a great(er) sway in the Oceans. The Overlords could be the biggest magic powers remaining.

11. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Hmm, the owner of the gem of water could be even more powerful than the gods. That would be interesting. Perhaps the overlords grew powerful enough to send an emissary to our world. I think it's Lady Gaga ;)

12. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Or Ziggy Stardust (while he was possesing David Bowie, prompting him to write "Life on Mars?" and "The Man Who Sold the World".)

13. meto30

meto30 Chieftain

post industrial era Erebus magic could work the way it does in Assassin's Creed. Certain people who by genetic inheritance have natural aptitude for mana(there would be many of those in Amurite society) or are aided by ancient artifacts(in the Creed series templars use the Apples of Eden) can cast spells with some effectiveness, with an extreme few capable of magnitudes of Age of Rebirth.

The Amurite nation might have been destroyed and/or dissolved due to increase in population diluting magical powers(so removing the one pillar upon which Amurite sovereignity rests), but an underground society of those who are strongest in Kylorin's blood might continue the legacy(similar to the diluted but still operating Assassins in Assassin's Creed).

The Sheaim under Os-Gabella's immortal leadership could have evolved into a grand conspiracy ring with the goal of nudging the world slowly towards apocalypse. They would be less of a nation and more of a faction.

The societies that traditionally depended less on magic would be most succesful on the macroscopic scale, not only those with industrial infrastructure like the Kazhads and Luichuirps, but also military powers like the Hippus and Bannor. Magic dependant ones would have to evolve or fade into history.

14. meto30

meto30 Chieftain

ADD: extending the conjecture to FF civilizations, I have no idea how the Scions would work out. Scions are entirely undead, with infinite lifespans... less magic might mean their bodies would cease to function, but as I recall they are not reanimated bodies but souls brought back from Arawn's vault, so the mechanism might be different.

Dural civilization, also unique to FF, have a large and thriving Academic community, so they might become a center of world education and research. Both Kahdi and Amurites have a similar social outlook with an emphasis on knowledge, but they both are magic-based, while Durals are more secular...

15. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Chieftain

The Scions would probably be one of the few supernatural hotspots on Erebus, so there may be a last wave of immigration from mages and others who long for 'the good old days'. They will of course, take advantage of this, and declare war on the magic-less other factions. That will spur the development of Gunpowder weapons that can dismember undead (cannons and shotguns). Beyond that, I have no idea.

16. Gaga1111

Gaga1111 Chieftain

A great thread and I'm glad Grey Fox used his necromatnic powers to bring it back Kudos for that.I also wanted to ask what you thought would happen to the gods and their interference in the daily lives of the people of Erebus.I'd also like to hear more about what might have happened to the clan and the bannor as they seem least responsive to change (meaning don't like adopting new things) or at least I picture them somewhat like that.I'm asking for your thoughts because I'm not a writer at all.

P.S. civ_king I know what it's like to write a small wall of text in one sentence I have the same "issue"

17. Brenador

Brenador Chieftain

I think that the Kuriotates would be like modern America: commercial, liberal, and tolerant. They'd probably hate the Bannor, and I don't know if there would be enough magic for Cardith Lorda to stay immortal.

18. P A U L

P A U L Chieftain

Well, as it was earlier mentioned the powerful magicians kept enough of their power to stay alive, so Cardith Lorda probably kept enough to stay immortal.

19. Great Overlord

Great Overlord Chieftain

Submarines exploring the Deep Sea disappear without a trace;the last signs of them are disturbing mad messages.

Next week, there is the premierea new movie on the end of the Age of Ice. Its Director, a man named Auric Ulven, said about it: "Other then theese totally biased Amurite movues, it will show the true story of the Illians' glory and the reign of Mulcarn!"

20. Zombelia

Zombelia Chieftain

Nancy Pelosi is Ammurite leader! Hitler is Sheaim leader!