Modern Era Erebus?

Nothing too analogous to the real world, please. That said, here's my take on it (Warning: Spoilers!):

As magic declines across Erebus, "Govannonism" is decried by the Amurite leadership, who try to lessen the numbers of magi in order to ligthen the pull upon magical energies. This would be a temporary fix, however, and they would inevietably go into a Dark Age. Kylorin himself would probably mantain enough power to do magic, though.

The Grigori are split into two factions, those who see magic as a sign of the Gods' influence and its decline as beneficial, and those who see magic as a neutral force that Man needed to govern. Cassiel's death (going by the scenarios) would make them a more vengeful people.

When the Age of Technology reaches the Elven Courts, the Ljosalfar go into isolationism while the Svaltarfar adapt and go into business in the cities as businesspeople and politicians. This development might reverse as ecofriendly technology (more below) rises.

Going by the scenarios again, the Illians are already gone, but any remnant civilizaion must adapt or die. The White Hand would become pariahs due to their association with Mulcarn and Auric, and be hunted down until few of them remain in the wastes.

The Doviello would be forced to change or perish as well, but people with their heritage might survive as immigrants in the other Civilizations of Erebus. Their fortunes might vary, however. The Kuriotates would be accepting, the Amurites and Grigori not.

If Eubarates' death in The Cult wasn't permanent, then Kuriotate civilization would profit from the new development. The Lamia might have to shift from magic to science, which might be problematic, but the creative Kuriotate environment would guarantee that the civ will be a source for many inventions.

The Hippus would adapt, as cavalry tactics would be useful for a good few centuries yet. They may even take up cattle ranching, although the mercenary tradition would remain strong. Remember, they're also good guerillas, so we might see commandos from them in the future.

Alexis and Flauros didn't die in the scenarios, so they and the Calabim would probably recover their strength unless purged. Even then, they may reemerge at any point, using the growing population for fooder. They and any Vampire elite would probably be powerful politicians and business magnates.

The Clan of Embers would probably survive without magic, but they would be another civilization that would have to adapt to the changing circumstances around them. As guns reduce the advantage of fury and numbers, the future of the Orcs as a civilization would be bleak.

Because their Golems rely on magic rather than technology, the Luchiurp's fortunes would probably fall unless they adapt. The Khazad, on the other hand, would probably use their business acumen to take advantage of technological development, gaining more power and wealth.

The Lanun will be relatively unchanged, with those who take up maritime trade prospering from newer ships and tech. Piracy would decline for a while, but then rise up again like in the modern world. Swashbuckling would be gone, replaced with shoving submachine guns in the face. The Overlords would be one of the last enclaves of magical power in Erebus, and the most powerful.

Another holdout of magic would be the Sidar, who would also go on as they much had, only accumulating knowledge of science as well as magic. Or possibly Laroth would have consumed them already. But if not, expect them to have only a small presence in Erebusian affairs.

Varn Gosam is an Elf, and would survive for a long, long, time to lead the Malakim. He would decry the environmental degradation going on in Erebus, and Lugus would probably show him how to make solar panels as an alternative to Oil prospecting. Vast solar farms would line the desert, providing power to the other nations.

The Bannor may have harsh laws, but they do not have racial or class discrimination. That means that there will be immigrants coming from the other nations looking for work. As demonic activity declines, the Order's popularity would decline as well. If Auric's sack of the Capital exposed the corruption in it, then it might have reformed into a creed pursuing true Justice instead of just enforcing the law.

Elohim power may either rise or decline in the Age of Technology, but they would probably keep protecting the holy places, which would be holdouts of magical power. The trust that they hold among the other nations could become an asset, making them the equivalent of the U.N and Red Cross.

Os-Gabella is Immortal, and can start the Sheaim again at any time. It would probably be a secret organization instead of a nation, but the potential for destruction is still there. They would strive to drive nations to war, and use human experimentation to create new plagues.

The Balseraphs will lose their magical strength in the Age of Technology, but Perpentach would still have some mental powers left. Keelyn's dominion of the Fane of Lessers would probably go uncontested, and it would be another remnant of magical power.

As for the Mercurians and Infernals, I don't think they'll have much of a presence in the Age of Technology, but there would be the occasional summoning and subversion of the Compact.

If FF Civs are included, the Mechanos go into a Golden Age. While their use of Refined Mana will be curtailed, they could make do with Coal and possibly Oil. The Grigori may combine with them, but they would probably see their factory system as oppressive and even begin social activism.

I'll include my thoughts on the Austrin, Scions, and other FF and RifE civs soon after.

More FF/RifE civs:

The Austrin would still be the premier explorers and geographers of Erebus, but they would probably rail against the environmental degredation going on in the land. Expect social activism from them, perhaps even pacifistic anarchism. That, or technological development would lead them to create Windfarms for clean energy.

As for the Jotnar, their low numbers would probably lead to the death of their nation, and their enslaving ways would draw the emnity of the other civilizations. Gunpowder would probably reduce the utility of size in battle as well.

The Dural, being masters of secular achivement, may probably find themselves in a Golden Age. Unlike Amurites, magic is not their only area of learning. Expect a strong nation.

I don't have much optimism for the Archos, as not even Giant Spiders can withstand grenades and other explosives. They would probably be a candidate for 'purged with fire', especially if they keep on their warlike ways.

The Matzal and Cualli will still have their swamps, giving them a strong defense. That would give them time to develop and adapt. The Matzal would probably provide Sugar, Bananas, and (once it's discovered) Quinine. Their Cualli counterparts would engage in human trafficking.

As I said in another post, the Scions would probably be one of the last magical holdouts of Erebus, and people longing for "the old days" may rush to them. But, the other civilizations will try to purge them, perhaps inventing guns designed to break up the soldiers' bodies into small pieces.

The Legion of D'tesh could lose it's magical power, but RifE lore has D'tesh himself have the Gem of Death (yes, I know it isn't canon). That means that they would be another magical holdout, and one better disposed to take advantage of events.

While the Chislev are currently forbidden from training Gunpowder units, they will have to follow their Native American counterparts in doing so in order to survive. Even then, their sucess as a civilization might not be assured. A (spoiler!) new religion is being planned for them, but I currently don't know how it may help.

The Kadhi (FF Only, but Kahd himself is an Amurite leader in RifE) would probably end up the same way as the Amurites. Vault Gates would only delay the fall.

The Kadhi (FF Only, but Kahd himself is an Amurite leader in RifE) would probably end up the same way as the Amurites. Vault Gates would only delay the fall.

I personally think that Kahd would just say "screw you" to his entire faction at the first chance for (true) power, with writers glorifiying his deeds and "virtues" (unexistant, as he is the chosen of Mammon), and end as some kind of legendary prophet or God, leaving behind a nation of pure greed and competition ruled by an amibitious and oppressive magocracy that allows no one else in their cabal just to mantain power and wealth. That would if Kahd chooses Mammon.

If Kahd chooses Oghma instead, the nation would be one for the ascetic and the wise, ruled by and for all kinds of knowledge, something like a stereotyped version of Tibet, with a millenarian and possibly immortal Kahd still residing in the country, somewhere in a mystical and mythical place no one has found, like Shangri-la (another of the "magic holdouts").

I just watched the video you linked: It's stunning!!!

It really seems inspired by Balseraphs... or is it the opposite?

Anyway, that would provide greatest soundtruck for them. We could also put a part in Diplo window.

yeah. Actually, i first heard the song before i even learned of FfH, so when i first heard of the Balseraphs, it just kind of seemed to fit together. I don't think Creature Feature (the band who amde that song) even know what FfH is. So i don't think it was inspired by the Balseraphs at all. Just coincedence (yeah, probably didn't spell it right..)

yes! Excelent idea!
I would do it myself, but sadly, i have no skills in doing such things. So yeah, maybe if we ask Kael nicely, he'll do it. *practices best begging-puppy-dog-face she'll use to ask Kael.*

Elohim power may either rise or decline in the Age of Technology, but they would probably keep protecting the holy places, which would be holdouts of magical power. The trust that they hold among the other nations could become an asset, making them the equivalent of the U.N and Red Cross.

On second thought, the Overcouncil would be the U.N. Equivalent, with the Elohim having a role in it similar to the Malakim. The Undercouncil, meanwhile, will survive thanks to Os-Gabella and the remaining evil nations.

@Dark Reborn Thank you. The Kahdi were the civilization I knew least about, so I just lumped them in with the Amurites.

Wouldn't the Undercouncil be some syndicate of Organized Crime, with the Council of Esus the most influental?

Bestselling novels talk about some "Stewards of Inequality".

When meelee charges get to ineffective as main combat tactics, the Doviello and Orcy move on to scearmingly gun down anyone.

"Our Computer designers have invented a new computer game. Thay call it "Fall from Heaven"."

Wouldn't the Undercouncil be some syndicate of Organized Crime, with the Council of Esus the most influental?

Bestselling novels talk about some "Stewards of Inequality".

Nothing I said contradicts that. However, Os-Gabella's influence would mean that the Undercouncil will still retain some traces of its magical past.

When meelee charges get to ineffective as main combat tactics, the Doviello and Orcy move on to scearmingly gun down anyone.

Assuming that they survive as nations. Quite frankly, I don't think the other civs would let them survive up to that point. In fact, the prospect of either Doviello or Clan getting guns would spur their neighbors to crush them as soon as possible.

"Our Computer designers have invented a new computer game. Thay call it "Fall from Heaven"."

Great idea!

Of course, it is a reference to the normal event.

By the way, the novel is called "The Cultuum Code".

A famous serious of movies is "Lanun of the Aegean". It is about a Chaotic Neutral pirate called John Finch fighting the Octopus Overlords.

Well, one of the first posts in the thread has the Doviello reforming as a biker gang, with the "pack leader" being old C. Don again (or like this). So we could have the Doviello as trigger-happy amok runners, but the only way to justify a empire would be "they are so powerful in this city they are the de-facto rulers", with the capital being the head quarter.
Or the War Machine impressed them so much that they got its inventor to build more of them or even taught the smarter/more technophile ones how to build them or at least the basics, so they could go on waltzing everyone. :spear:

Maybe the Luchuirp would switch to normal robotics? Hopefully Barnaxus still works. And what happens with the Mithril Golem? I would not like to be around if he faills..

I wonder if there's a New World on Erebus, and if so how its colonisation will happen. Maybe the Bannor will take the role of the spanish and conquer most of it in the name of converting the natives to the Order, and the Lanun take the role of the dutch and pirates and not really found many colonies, but instead trading and slavering a lot. The Calabim would probably colonise a lot as well, seeing the massive new pastures to let their cattle live on. When Antarctica is discovered, I'm expecting the remnants of the Illians to move there.

Continuing from the same theme: how would the civs handle their colonies trying to earn independence?

@GreatOverlord Going by the scenarios, Auric siphoned away the Breath of Mulcarn that was in him, reducing him to little more than a well-made golem.

From the Lore Compedium:

Ice Golem
The Luchuirp assaulted the Illian city. Juggernauts slammed against the defenses. Towering iron golems waded through the rubble, destroying any defenders they found. The Luchuirp forces tried to stop the ritual that was taking place within the inner city, but they were too late.
When Mulcarn entered the city, entered creation, the battle stopped. A layer of ice spread from the first place his foot touched outwards through the city and across the land. The Luchuirp army was destroyed, dwarves killed, golems frozen. Even the Illian macemen were frozen in place, kept unchanged until Mulcarn needed them.
As he surveyed his new dominion he picked up one of the Luchuirp golems. He admired their fortitude. They were unaffected by the cold and their unchanging nature. All traits Mulcarn prized.
He whispered a new life into the golem, “Make me more.”
“As you command” was Barnaxus’s reply.

I was going after Barnaxus' own entry, which as far as I remember tell that Barnaxus was not created by Mulcarn transforming him.
And to me, this entriy sounds more like "Mulcarn took Barnaxus" instead of "Mulcarn created BArnaxus" (as the special Golem)

Barnaxus was created before Mulcarn entered creation, at the height of the Khrad'Ke-zun empire. He may have been the finest work of dwarven craftsmanship in history he was still far from sentient before he was lost in the failed assault that the Open-Skiers launched against the Illians in an attempt to prevent the God of Winter's entry into Erebus. The Luchuirp were astonished to find that when he returned to him he had become a thinking, learning machine. The only explanation he would give was that "A man spoke to me in the wastes and I awoke." This fits in well with what AoI revealed about his history, if we assume that the word "man" can also apply to a god. By "awoke" Barnaxus did not merely mean that he was reactivated after suffering enough damage to be shut down, but rather that the was awakened to true consciousness for the first time.

Here's another title: FFH: Age of Technology. An Urban Fantasy mod for Civ IV.

Edit: Although I don't know how Urban Fantasy tropes can be made to work in-game. Perhaps a redo of the Espionage system?

My theory is that magic is finite but cannot be destroyed. When used, it is converted into unusable magic, which takes about 50 years to "re-form" into its usable form.

Top Bottom