1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Era pillaging

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Delphi456, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Delphi456

Delphi456 Chieftain

My Cossack army is getting bombed and arty'd when I try to pillage the AI capital. Should I be using a Modern Armour army instead?

2. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

The invincibility of armies begins to lose its edge when bombers make an appearance. The AI will bomb your armies down until they calculate they have a chance to take it out with regular units. The same will happen if you have an army on the coast and they have ships that can bombard them - learned that the hard way.

If you have a MA army, why not attack the capital directly rather than pillaging tiles? A MA army will usually take any defender unless it is MI fortified in a large city (size 12+) on a hill. Even then I put my money on the MA army.

By the time of AI modern armor, you cavalry/cossack armies are pretty much done. Properly placed, I think that tanks will still avoid them though, IIRC?

3. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

The AI will always bombard armies. A higher-defence army will last longer but if they can bring enough bombardment to bear they will eventually be able to attack and kill your armies.

4. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

The AI is using arty offensively? :dubious:

5. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

Well, Delphi456 was pillaging the capital tiles - so the arty was probably in the capital. When the army moved within 2 tiles, it was a target. That was how I took it.

6. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

No; they build Bombard units, but they won't look for opportunities to use them, they just park them in cities and take potshots at nearby units. They will use Bombers offensively, although not terribly effectively.

7. Fiddlin Nero

Fiddlin Nero Chieftain

Doesn't matter what unit you have in your armies, the only solution is to get them out of their before they get knocked down to much.

8. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Solution to bombers is pillage their oil, then set up a bomber trap. Send a group of strong defenders stacked with SAMs or flak just over their border, they hit the top unit and then it cycles to the next, each time having a shootdown chance. Each turn, retreat the wounded and replace with healthy units, eventually you'll get them all. Then you armies will be safer.

9. del62

del62 Chieftain

Or even send some SAMs with your armies, they will only move 1 square but you can pillage a few squares and end up back under protection,

10. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

SAMs move 2. So do radar arty and mechs, so they can keep up with each other on the attack.

11. del62

del62 Chieftain

If SAMs move 2 thats even better, I can only think of one game when I have seriously faced bombers and I think I used the Flak Units to protect stackes, If I am going to kill the enemy I prefer to do this before they get flight.

12. Delphi456

Delphi456 Chieftain

13. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

The way I usually dealt with AI bombers was to destroy them where they are based. First I send fighters to destroy any fighter protection they have, then bombers. They are much easier to destroy when they are on the ground. If they are in a coastal city, naval bombardment wipes them out pretty fast.

14. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

15. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I guess the idea is to pillage the capital to cut off trades, when you don't have enough forces to take the whole empire down right away...for example if the rest of your forces are occupied elsewhere.

16. Delphi456

Delphi456 Chieftain

It's as Bartleby said.

17. bigFRANK

bigFRANK Chieftain

Modern armour army would give you the advantage of being able to move in pillage and move away in the same turn (flat ground) but you would still be in range of artillery for half a turn (thus shot at and bombed regardless of where you are). If your wanting to cut the enemy capital off without getting into artillery range its either bombers or your own artillery to do the job or take the hit on the ground units and live with it (explorers are a good ground unit (move 5 spaces, all tiles like roads, can pillage but not fight (pillage ends the turn)) for cutting off capitals and strategic resources.

18. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

6 spaces (since road movement is x3), and pillaging takes one of two movement points, but yes they are good at resource denial. I would not use them to cut off a capital though. Bombers work way better for that. The AI rarely build enough fighters and is too stupid to put up an effective air defense. Of course, an ICBM works better than all of those... assuming you don't care about fighting the world...:mischief:

19. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

20. Delphi456

Delphi456 Chieftain