1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Infantry Multi-Figure Unit!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-Figure Units' started by Civanator, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Civanator

Civanator Deity

2. Kryten

Kryten Smeee heeeeed

Not bad matey. :goodjob:

Although I would have prefered 4 figures in a skirmish formation....or with two figures in the front and the centure one slightly back a bit (everyones a critic these days! :D)

I do hope that this was one of your "Current Projects", in case someone else was also working on it. :p

Let's see some more!

3. Civanator

Civanator Deity

It was, but in a squad you had 3 and a platoon you had 6, which makes Alpha squad and Bravo squad, so I made it based on the US Navy Seals

4. Mephansteras

Mephansteras Warlord

Hey Nice! Once my internet at home starts working again (grumble) I'll start using it!

5. Volker

Volker Chieftain

He could use 6 units, 3 of them kneeling and shooting while others are behind them firing.

6. Kryten

Kryten Smeee heeeeed

I'm afraid that I disagree with you Volker.
    That would look far too 'Napoleonic'.

Here is a quick bit of 'Military Evolution':-

Columns (3 and 3 figures) = all ancient/medieval/17th & 18th century foot troops (except skirmishers).

Lines (4 straight figures) = British Napoleonic Infantry, American Civil War Infantry, Victorian Infantry.

Skirmish (4 figures in a spread out 'diamond' formation) = all WW1, WW2 and modern Infantry.

After the Napoleonic Wars the column fell out of fashion, and almost all foot troops fought in 'lines'.
    But by the First World War, lines had fallen out of fashion and all foot soldiers fought in open loose 'skirmish' formation, and still do so today.
    :)

7. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Well, in the US, The Navy Seals and Marines have Platoons of 6 men (this is the elites though) and 2 squads, Alpha and Bravo. 3 men in each squad. That is what i based this on.

8. Kryten

Kryten Smeee heeeeed

Agreed Civanator. :)

I was just pointing out that since WW1 no foot troops have fought in any kind of 'formation'.
    So we have to try and make Modern Age infantry look like they are 'skirmishing'.......which you have done. :goodjob:

(We still need MORE units like this!)

9. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Maybe I will do the spetnaz next instead of the Napoleonic Rifleman, cause of some palette problems.

10. trevor

trevor Warlord

Platoons? 6? What the heck? You mean thirty six, right? One platoon has 4 squads (9 Marines) made up of 3 fireteams (3 Marines) each, with the same divisions but different names in the Army. So the more correct way of showing a modern infantry unit would be to show how units usually fight, as three man details or fireteams.

11. Civanator

Civanator Deity

i was basing my knowledge of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, the ELITE US Navy Seals.

12. trevor

trevor Warlord

Yes, and you do realize that what I wrote supports the 3 man unit that you created. Seeing as these guys are just infantry and not special forces the three man fireteam or detail is just right.

13. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

stay with 3.

Also, this will take alot of work, and i havent seen your unit yet, but modern munits should have greater delay differences when the soldiers are running.

back pre-WW1, soldiers would run in a line. WW1 and afterwards, they wouldn't run in any organised fashion, or all start running at the same time or speed.

This would most probably need work outside of Stephs 'Munit Machine' but would look great for whoever could do it.

14. Polygon

Polygon Chieftain

This is a GREAT idea and it has made this unit far more interesting to use and they look great in formation.
    Keep it up.

15. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

It should work with SBB. I may perhaps need to simply increase a bit the range of the parameter.

16. redhat

redhat Chieftain

I have some problem...when I tested it the figures were half transparent and blur... dop >_<

17. redhat

redhat Chieftain

Did anyone tested this on their CIV III?
    I am still playing the original civ III with 1.29f patch.
    But the figure appeared as half transparent in my game...
    I have snoopy's modpack installed as well, so I wonder if anyone else have experienced the same difficulty?

18. redhat

redhat Chieftain

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
  19. CrapSlinger

CrapSlinger Chieftain

I found out how to fix Civanator's multi-figure modern infantry, it had a different color table from that of Balou's, the guy that did the original single figure modern infantry. So I used photoshop to take the color table from Balou's and loaded it into Civanator's. It works fine now but I'm having touble uploading the fixed files so Im just gonna list how I did it.

1. exported at least one storyboard PCX from Balou's modern infantry (with flicster, of course).
    2. opened that storyboard PCX with photoshop and saved its color table (Image->Mode->Color Table...->Save). There would be a saved .ACT file
    3. exported all Civanator's FLC's, with flicster again
    4. opened just the storyboad PCX with photoshop, converted it to
    RGB color mode (Image-Mode->RGB Color)
    5. converted it BACK to indexed mode, this time using the .ACT file
    from Balou's modern infantry (Image->Mode->RGB Color... -- choose "Custom..." from Palette list and Load the .ACT file)
    6. save PCX file
    7. Make the FLC with the new storyboards, again with flicster

20. mizaq

mizaq Warlord

A fire team has four members, and a squad has 3 fire teams and a squad leader. At least, that is what they taught me while I was in the Marines. Tom Clancy is very familiar with the organization of the Marines (so says my copy of Marine by Tom Clancy), so I don't know where you guys are getting your numbers from, but it's certainly not how the Marines operate.

p.s. each fire team has someone who carries a SAW (M249) as well (shoots up to 1000 rpm). BRAAAAAAAAAWP.

looks fine otherwise though ;)