Modern roads look too much like railroads

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by OneBinary, Sep 3, 2007.

1. OneBinary

OneBinary Warlord

Hi All,

Has anybody noticed that the new modern (grey) roads look way too much like railroads? I'm finding it hard to distinguish what is a modern road and what is a railroad. Anybody else find this highly annoying?

I looked around but didn't see a Graphic Mod to change this. Anybody aware of a Graphic Mod that would cover this? Or is there maybe an XML file that I can edit to change the color of the modern roads?

Thanks!

2. Enigma256

Enigma256 Warlord

any reason you still have roads when you have railroads?

3. Arlborn

Arlborn Legendary Noob

Maybe he meant his enemies?
    I find the same as him.

4. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

I have the same problem, it's a real pain when you're halfway through railroading your empire and you're trying to figure out where you've railroaded already and where you haven't.

5. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

Erm, clean your monitor or put on your glasses!

I can tell the difference between old roads, new and then railroads.

6. Underdawg

Underdawg King

I think railroads look awful they just loop around everywhere.... defeats the whole look of railroads! Same with roads but not as much.... since roads are everywhere! :D

7. skallben

skallben Diplomat

I agree with this, annoys me quite a bit sometimes.
    The railroads are ugly anyways, what train would do a 90 degree turn damnit?

8. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Prince

I don't care that I can't see it. What bothers me is that automated workers only railroad the places that get the bonus from it (i.e. mines, quarries, lumbermills). They do not replace roads unless instructed to do so manually, or told to build a road/railroad to a certain point. In Warlords and Vanilla, they rr'ed every road, not just the ones that gave bonuses.

9. jray

jray King

Sure they do! Actually in BtS the workers are even better in this regard. They seem to prioritize RR'ing the hammer-bonus tiles first, and then they'll RR everywhere else. At least if you have them on "Build Trade Network" they will.

10. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yes, just have your workers build trade network. It's the best option for automated workers for sure. I'll use my workers to improve my cities' crosses, but I like to have workers build roads and resources that are outside of my cities' crosses.

11. Bushface

Bushface Deity

What makes it worse is that the modern roads use the same patterns as railways, all straight lines, smooth curves, and loops. Also, railways on tundra almost disappear (many's the time I've sent a Worker to rail a mined tundra tile, only to find the option unavailable because the dratted mine already has a railway on it) and there are occasions where the only bit of rail on a tile is a squitty little bit lurking furtively in one corner.
    Bring back nice visible black crosses, I say ! To heck with eye candy. In fact, what about nice (and very visible) red crosses ?

12. Sandman2012

Sandman2012 Chieftain

I think the Build Trade Network feature is broken in BtS, isn't it? I used to always set a couple of workers on that setting around mid-game to connect new resources I may have missed or stuff cut off by enemies, but I noticed they were changing other improvements. Someone else posted a thread about it here a week or so ago, so I figured it was a bug and have stopped using that feature 'til the patch comes out.

13. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

There is an option in the gameplay section I think to have automated workers leave existing improvements.

But on topic, I fing the new graphics a bit too hard to distinguish between roads and railroads, perhaps I'm zoomed out to much.

14. Shawnosaurus

Shawnosaurus Esoteric Idiot

To answer the initial question; no, I have no problem at all with the road graphic. It looks like a paved road to me.

15. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

The paved roads pair quite well in a city with many towns. It looks nice

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

There isnt any point in railroading mines outside fat crosses, is there?

17. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

Well, it depends if you want access to the only source of Iron nearby etc if that was the case.

18. aslindy

aslindy Barely visible

As soon as I am able to build railroads, I set most or all of my workers to build railroads to whatever city or resource is farthest away from them. That gives me a network of railroads all across my land in the shortest time possible. The next time a worker becomes available, I take a good look around the area, and link up any resources that haven't gotten railroads yet. Some times I keep one or two workers available to do other things, but usually everything else is done by then and all I need are the railroads - I tend to have a lot of workers.

19. Naismith

Naismith Prince

I absolutely agree. As pointed out in other posts, it's difficult to see what has been railroaded and what hasn't, which is a real pain in the neck when you are railroading your empire. Of course you can tell if you look closely enough, but it's an unneccessary strain on the eyes.

Back to the OP's question: Is there an XML or Graphic Mod to deal with it?

20. Lord_Zath

Lord_Zath Prince

didn't think about the build trade network option. I'll try it. Thanks!