1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Warfare Tactics

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by 502nd PIR, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Then that means that they're not positioned correctly for conquering someone. If your bombers are everywhere, then there is a sizeable portion of your air force that is lying around doing nothing.

And carriers cost shields. And they can be attacked by enemy ships. If you have a big enough air force/navy to take care of AI ships, try moving up a level or two.

2. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

The AIs don't build an effective navy ever though.

3. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Although the RNG does help them sometime :crazyeye:

4. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

*Cough* *cough* spearman vs tank *cough*.

5. Sashie VII

First thing I saw was your post and I immediately thought of choxorn :lol: :crazyeye: :lol:

:spear:

I don't really believe in carriers, unless I'm playing regent or Monarch :mischief:

6. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I don't know about you, but my AIs build hordes of ironclads that eventually end up sinking my ships after they throw about 20 of them at them...

7. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I did that in vanilla Civ III. But when their navy was under water, and they never rebuilt it ever.

8. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

And carriers are still a waste of shields. Building them makes it 130 shields per bomber, as opposed to 80 shields per artillery. :p

And carriers and bombers can't use railroads, which is my entire point anyway.

9. Wosret

Wosret Chieftain

Bout carriers Tomoyo, they are useless almost the part of time, but there are some hipoteses that you cant build an airfield close to your enemies borders. But its impressindible to bomber enemy access to cities or to resoucers, so then they become usual... its isnt usual for them become usual, but may happen lol

It often happens with me when I play highs difficults in random maps and random civs.

10. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

What's a hipoteses?

And well, you don't need carriers if you don't use bombers. I'm not arguing against the use of carriers; I'm arguing against the use of bombers.

11. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

If you're playing on a map with islands, which I normally do, then bombers are way better. The added range is great with the island hopping combat.

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Okay, bombers are useful against small islands. I have never needed to island hop, even in archipelago maps. And if I have needed to island hop, I've already won the game.

13. Sashie VII

Not me, I want their small isles before I crush them and bury their civ for good :evil:

14. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Its also smart to take the islands because you drain their money by taking them, their troops by killing them in battle, and their resources by making them try to take it back. Plus they give you naval bases and areas to keep bombers, not to mention a forward base for an invasion.

15. Sashie VII

Not if that island is smack in the middle of the largest ocean, 30 tiles away from any landmass :lol:

16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Then Carriers!

The island can be used as healing points for your ships.

17. Fender

Fender Chieftain

HAHA! Finally, someone who loves WWII and knows about it as much as I do! But anyway, for D-Day, I don't really use Paratroopers. What I ususally do, is have a huge over-land invasion (50-70 modern armour, backed up by three mech infantry for each city I'm planning to take, backed up by maybe 10 radar artillery and a few cruise missiles) , they would cross the border, and split up and attack different cities, or take one key city an then continue. Supporting that, I would land two or three transports filled with Modern Armor, some Mech infantry, and maybe three or four radar arty. Supporting all of this would be maybe four or five battle ships, four or five AEGIS cruisers, and maybe five carriers. I sometimes use marines if I need to take a city in one turn or need to take a key position. I like using paratroopers, but to tell you the truth, they're just there to reinforce the cities that have been taken by the Modern Armour until the Mech infantry arrives. The thing is, by the time I get to them, my Modern armour has already bypassed where they can be dropped. But there fun to use, and pretty good when it comes to some good 'ol fashion :ar15:

18. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

i always love the modern/industrial aged warfare simply b/c there's more 'meat' to the combined tactics when compared against the other eras. anyway, here's some info i posted in W.i.n.t.e.r's thread some time ago.

19. El Justo

El Justo Chieftain

cont'd.....

20. jkk

jkk Chieftain

Once your country is railed up, I find cruise missiles very good for homeland defense against naval incursions. Pile them wherever. Soon as the enemy fleet is sighted within range of your coast, run in the cruise missiles and start shooting. Bombers can finish off stragglers and make sure they never get home.