1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Warfare Tactics

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by 502nd PIR, Apr 23, 2006.

1. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

stacks and stacks of ironclads can be taken care of by artillery (to redline the ironclads) and a couple of destroyers (to wipe out the red-lined ironclads). Or even privateers, which will then go and create free privateers for you!

2. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Anyone 'collecting' privateers from various civs in their games? ;)

Cruise missiles are used up once you shoot, seems a waste of shields to me IMO, jkk..

3. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

Cruise missiles are handy against ships but should be combined with artillery. Use the artillery to redline, and the CMs to finish.

The advantage CMs have over ships is
    1) that they can strike at any coast or sea tile the rails (and roads) let them. Ships are not that mobile, and probably need 20 turns or so to get where they are needed.
    2) they can be built anywhere. And inland cities are generally more productive than coastal cities.

I would use them nevertheless, and keep a constant stock of a _few_ (maybe 5 or 6) of them. At that stage of the game, my cities are usually producing wealth and the 60 shields for a CM are easily 'spared' from a fairly productive core city. Even if there was a need for more CMs, I think they'd still provide a better way of defending against (and killing!) annoying ships than having a sufficiently large navy. OTOH just redlining or damaging and letting them hurry home towards the next citiy (on the other side of the map) isn't such a bad option either ...

I mean, if the game gets there anyway.

4. jkk

jkk Chieftain

The idea is they're what you can shoot when there is nothing else to shoot. If the other side gets ashore, and you lose units blowing them off the beach, you also lose shields. You don't need many, just enough to wreck an invasion fleet when there are not enough planes in range and your own fleet can't get there in time.

Plus, both types of nukes are also used up once you shoot, but it might be hard finding anyone who considers those shields poorly spent. When you need 'em, you need 'em now.

5. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

I mostly use cruise missiles as a defense against an enemy invasion fleet, though they are decently good against other units. And about them being a wast of sheilds, well as Lord Emsworth said, "At that stage of the game, my cities are usually producing wealth and the 60 shields for a CM are easily 'spared' from a fairly productive core city." Usually I can afford to spare the missles, and I've found them to be worth the three to five turns it takes to make them.
    Oh yea, and Fender, interesting D-day tactic. I'll try it out.

6. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

And suddenly everyone stops posting.

7. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

about cruise mis. :
    i don't remember using them. to get rid of enemy fleet i try to use arti - they have to be in range, but AI makes lot of such mistakes - to redline them, then they will sail back home for repairs (and hopefully meet my ships on their way home)

8. AutomatedTeller

I like the idea of using cruise missles against ships.

9. Sashie VII

I like the idea of using nukes on against a concentration of enemy ships.

10. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Its fun. There are few things more amusing, other than starting a world war, then getting out of it and watching the other nations destroy themselves with impunity

11. pol1

pol1 kayaking physicist

yes, sunk ship won't bother You anymore
    You can also get bombers in position but with risk of loosing them

and nukes works great (i've used them once, and with them and subs i 've destroyed/damaged great numbers of enemys ships sailing together)
    but they come late, very late.

12. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

The last time I did that was in vanilla Civ III.

Tested on my old galleons. Took 2 nukes to sink 1, and redline the other.

13. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Chieftain

Helicopters for the win.

14. AutomatedTeller

2 nukes to sink 1 galleon and redline another???

That's almost as funny as spear beating a tank!!

15. Sashie VII

Absolutely. You declare war, get an ally, then watch the strings of MPPs and MAs explode :mischief:

Muahahahahahahahahahaha :evil:

16. JFJ

JFJ Starving Artist

One thing not mentioned is chokepoints! You can stick 2-3 defenders in a fort on the check point and use bombers from behind the choke point to redline their entire army. Throw in squads of artillery and by the time they reach your checkpoint your small garrison can annihilate the remains of their army. Then just counter-attack and take their capital;) Works especially well if your choke point is a mountain.

17. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Wow. Its been a long time since anyones posted on this. any way though, to anyone who cares i'm also going to add a full part on special operations (Ex: using airborne troops to pillage certain resources, how to attempt to man a war on multiple fronts, and how to pull a 'Stonewall Jackson'. look for some new things tonight maybe.

18. Rallan

Rallan Chieftain

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the ol' Iranian Minesweeper (from the Iran-Iraq War, where Iran sent units of child "martyrs" to march through terrain they suspected of being mined to clear the minefield with their own bodies in preparation for an assault by regular infantry).

Simply take a whole bunch of crap units that you don't have any use for any more (eg obsolete stuff like swordsmen and longbowmen, or just old crap that you're too lazy to upgrade) and send them over the border on as broad a front as possible. They can pillage important squares, capture workers, attack offensive units that are caught unguarded, whatever. But their main purpose is just to wander in as far as possible, exploiting the AI's stupidity and tying up a whole bunch of its units on a big hunt to wipe out enemy units within its borders. They might gain some veterans and elites (and Leaders if you're unlucky), but what you gain is even better. For starters, some of your guys will get lucky and succesfully kill useful enemy units, in addition to any incidental pillaging and worker-capturing they might've managed before they're annihilated. For seconds, the guys you're losing are utterly useless, and your economy will benefit from them being liquidated. And for thirds, quite a lot of enemy units will be tied up behind the front line for several turns, giving you valuable time to either (if you're strong) kick serious butt on the front, or (if you're not strong) martial your forces and reinforce the front.

Or for offensive war, I've always been a big fan of the railroad blitz. Make sure all your cities are connected by rail. Make sure every tile on the border with your prospective enemy is connected by rail. Build fast modern attack units by the truckload (Cavalry, Tanks, Modern Armor, whatever). Pick your targets based purely on what you can reach and attack in the same turn, and what you can beat. Don't worry about harbors, resources, major cities, any of that crap, just go for easy cities that can be quickly reached. Then go nuts, taking out easy targets one after the other and immediately connecting them by rail. It's a war of attrition that you just keep up until the other guy is wiling to make peace (and then you bend him over the negotiating table and take him for all he's worth). It's the classic Blitzkrieg adapted to best meet the conditions of Civilization III: attack hard and fast at multiple objectives, capture as much ground as quickly as possible, and use the element of speed to immediately exploit the new opportunities you create.

19. Calixte

Calixte Chieftain

Maybe somebody already said this but I havn't had time to read all the posts

You send parachute troups behind the main enemy forces in their territory and guard strategic points. then you attack with your tanks fom your border where they where all posted