Modified Barbarians

NeverSurrender

Warlord
Is it possible to alter the spawn rate / strength / location of barbarians and barbarian cities for certain maps?

Also how do barbarians behave if left on a continent together, with several barbarian cities, do they attack each other?

Is it possible to set the amount and locations of barbarian cities at the start of the game? By altering the map code?

Is it possible to include barbarian muskets for example?

The reason i'm asking these questions is because I'm trying to set up an earth game (using earth evolution 2 map) with no civs in the new world, just barbarian tribes, lots of them - if possible, to make it as difficult as possible for the inevitable conquering civs after Astronomy.

Yes, you can alter the spawn rate / strength is a matter of the unit its self and all barbarians across the game are 1 "Civ" they are all Barbarians. The "New World" usually has many barb cities and there units will be comparable to units that you and other players will have available to them. They will have muskets, rifles, grenaders and Cavalry if You or other Civs have those technologies.

Easiest way to up the spawn rate is to make sure the Raging Barbs is turned on. On a very large map the number of Barbarian units will be extremely high.

Yes, you can alter the spawn rate / strength is a matter of the unit its self and all barbarians across the game are 1 "Civ" they are all Barbarians. The "New World" usually has many barb cities and there units will be comparable to units that you and other players will have available to them. They will have muskets, rifles, grenaders and Cavalry if You or other Civs have those technologies.

Easiest way to up the spawn rate is to make sure the Raging Barbs is turned on. On a very large map the number of Barbarian units will be extremely high.

Even on Terra maps where the barbs have an entire continent to themselves up to Astronomy, I've never seen them get better units than macemen. Never seen any gunpowder units.

Even on Terra maps where the barbs have an entire continent to themselves up to Astronomy, I've never seen them get better units than macemen. Never seen any gunpowder units.

Yes I've never seen 'em with better units than Macemen either. Ofcourse I only play on prince wich might be the case.

Barbarians research just as you do. They tend to be slower because they don't have a lot of cities and no one trades wtih them. They do get up to Riflemen, I believe.

Barbarians research just as you do. They tend to be slower because they don't have a lot of cities and no one trades wtih them. They do get up to Riflemen, I believe.

Yes, in unmodded CIV, riflemen is as advanced as the barbs get, and if left alone long enough, they'll get them. I have definitely seen barb riflemen on terra maps. I've even seem them on very rare occasions in crappy remote locations like small islands or ice/tundra.

On very high levels and if left alone for a very long time, they can get paratroopers.
Barbs can't get mounted units, nor musketmen, nor armoured units, nor gunships, nor siege (at least not in unmodded civ), nor any ship other than galleys (privateers are built by your opponents and only appear barbarian).

I've seen Barbarians get musket units and mounted units, but I've never seen them get anywhere above Riflemen, even when I gave them all the technologies.

I don't think they actually "Research," they just slowly acquire the technology that other civs have researched.

On very high levels and if left alone for a very long time, they can get paratroopers.
Barbs can't get mounted units, nor musketmen, nor armoured units, nor gunships, nor siege (at least not in unmodded civ), nor any ship other than galleys (privateers are built by your opponents and only appear barbarian).

I concur. I have found a barbarian island, that no AI had bothered with and I had overlooked, in the late game on Marathon Large Archipelago that had paratroopers. BTW, that happened on Noble, so it doesn't take high levels, only lots of time.

Might be true. Must have been very late, but I don't know whether the barbs tech faster on Deity or not.
I said that because there is a 'barbarian' challenge : you start on a quite large continent, alone, and contact with the AIs is not possible. Deity. Raging barbarians.
The goal? Try to win domination before time runs out.
Some people mentioned paratroopers in that thread. They also mentioned their longbows fighting rifles :eek:

I am pretty sure the Barbarians do not Tech Up, they just get free "Tech" or the ability to use units based on Acquired Global Knowledge, I read that somewhere years ago.

Is it possible to alter the spawn rate / strength / location of barbarians and barbarian cities for certain maps?

The reason i'm asking these questions is because I'm trying to set up an earth game (using earth evolution 2 map) with no civs in the new world, just barbarian tribes, lots of them - if possible, to make it as difficult as possible for the inevitable conquering civs after Astronomy.

You could also take a look into the GlobalDefines.xml file and change the CITY_BARBARIAN_DEFENSE_MODIFIER. It is originally set to 25, meaning civilisations will get a 25% extra strength defending against a barbarian attacking your cities. Setting it to 0%, for example, will make the barbarians have a fair chance to take your well defended cities from you... That should make it a bit harder to cope with them...

Also, in CIVHandicapInfo.xml there is a tag <iBarbarianBonus> that I believe sets a standard bonus for the Barbarians vs your units. The <iAIBarbarianBonus> should then be the bonus for Barbarians vs AI's. For each difficulty-level the settings are different. At Noble the <iBarbarianBonus> is set to -10 (minus ten) and the <iAIBarbarianBonus> is set to -25 (minus twentyfive). This I read as me getting a 10% bonus fighting Barbarians in general, while the AI's get a 25% bonus...hmmm...:hmm:

In the CIVHandicapInfo.xml file there are also the tags <iUnownedTilesPerBarbarianCity> and <iBarbarianCityCreationProb>. Also other tags related to the Barbarians are around at aproximately the same place in the file. Take a closer look in the file to see if you find any interesting tags...

Tweaking these settings should make the Barbarians a real threat...or just a walk-over if you want that. But that wouldn't be any fun, now would it?

Yours Sincerely

Kjotleik of Norway:)

Many many years ago, in one my first games on settler in vanilla[Earth-18 civs map with hatty] I had seen a mechanized infantry in a south american barb city! It was well into the future era, dont remember the year though.
However if you do want tough barbs, play Rome in RFC. If you think raging barbs are tough, the barbs you will see there will make you crap your pants. Seriously.

Top Bottom