1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Modified Vanilla Hotseat Game

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by McMonkey, May 11, 2018.

1. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

I have set up this page as a depository for saves & reports on a new hotseat game Buck2005 & have begun.

The game itself is set on the European map Buck created & features six Civs - the Saxons, Latins, Turks, Slavs, Hellenes & Celts (each controlling three). It is a modified & expanded vanilla game with the maximum 127 units and an improved technology tree which I hope will be a vast improvement over the original whilst still following the general outline. We have taken advantage of some of ToTPP's features. We are using an accelerated startup method with seven parachuting settlers, but as there are no goody huts this should balance out going into the Iron Age.

When I return home I will post the zip for anyone who is interested. I hope to use the experience of this game to further improve the traditional Vanilla experience. I have a tech tree planner well under construction to illustrate the changes and I will post this also once finished.

Tanelorn likes this.
  2. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Warlord

Sounds great!

3. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

Turn First. "Saxons", "Latin" and "Turks".

E2-E4. 6347318_xlarge.jpg

Attached Files:

4. McMonkey

Here is a preview of the Unit file & Technology tree (under construction) for anyone wondering about the nature of the expansion:
    Units.png

TECH TREE.PNG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. McMonkey

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 4000 B.C.

Nothing to report. A few cities founded perhaps.

989225-5046a1c1d168f0b3addf44630fe643f3.jpg

If you are done we can remove the paradrop flag from settlers & set the drop range back to the default or modify it if you think the map is large enough to warrant it - perhaps to 20?

Attached Files:

6. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

Yes, I agree that for a map of such a large size, 20 squares will be optimal.

Attached Files:

7. McMonkey

Here are the amended rules. All settlers have handed in their parachutes. Playing the turn now.

Attached Files:

8. McMonkey

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3950 B.C.
    Primitive technologies begin to be researched. Tough decisions. Should our wise-men prioritise new weapons, farming methods, building techniques or deal with the spiritual domain?

Attached Files:

9. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

It is not particularly important what exactly. It is important that this is the way to the monarchy ...)

The Course of Empire
    is a series of five paintings created by Thomas Cole in the years 1833–36. It is notable in part for reflecting popular American sentiments of the times, when many saw pastoralism as the ideal phase of human civilization, fearing that empire would lead to gluttony and inevitable decay. . The Course of Empire comprises the following works: The Course of Empire – The Savage State; The Arcadian or Pastoral State; The Consummation of Empire; Destruction; and Desolation. The first painting, The Savage State:
    Thomas-Cole-The-Course-of-Empire-The-Savage-State.JPG

Attached Files:

10. McMonkey

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3900 B.C.
    No major news

That's an amazing painting. I could spend a long time immersing myself in that world!

Attached Files:

11. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

This painter anticipated Sid Meier. )

Attached Files:

12. McMonkey

13. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

>>No major news

Same

Attached Files:

14. McMonkey

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3800 B.C.
    This may be my last turn tonight. Should be able to post from around 08:30 GMT tomorrow all day!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  15. McMonkey

Just got home & the wife is out, so I might be able to squeeze in another turn if you're still about :D If you're busy don't worry.

16. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

There are no news about barbarians yet ...

It seems, "Turks" - the most backward of my civilizations ...) Although in the Bronze Age should be strictly the reverse. )

slide0067_image019.jpg

Attached Files:

17. McMonkey

SLAVS-HELLENES-CELTS 3750 B.C.
    The game is set to Raging Hordes, so it is wise to be wary, though I think there may be a setting which prevents any appearing within the first few hundred years. I'm being a little cautious in case I'm wrong about that.

I think the Turks may be suffering from a lack of trade arrow terrain possibly? In the early game every arrow that you can get (and is not lost to corruption) is a huge bonus. To some extent, my Celts are lagging a little behind. It is vital to consider where to place your first city (with the Palace) as it eliminates corruption. Something I did not plan for as it's years since I played the original game, and even when I did I always played for the story & not to be the most efficient player possible. I'm still learning about Civ2 after all these years!

Attached Files:

18. McMonkey

I have been thinking about movement rates. I think ground units are reasonable, though 'Alpine - 1/3 movement rate' units may need to be reconsidered early in the game. As the game progresses there will be roads & railroads to help boost the movement of units, but it's still a big map & I wondered what your thoughts were about this.

When it comes to ships I would argue that we should at least double movement rates. Perhaps triple them for Destroyer onwards?

If we're going to make changes then now would be the best time. I guess increasing movement rates won't disadvantage either of us as we are just building our first units. What do you think Bucko?

19. McMonkey

By the way. I'm definitely going to bed now! :sleep: It's been a good start to what I hope will be a very enjoyable game :thumbsup:

20. Buck2005

Buck2005 Chieftain

I hope that I correctly placed my cities in the first step. In fear, I expect a time when cities will grow to two people. There will be major uprisings! In the meantime, we enjoy the pastoral...)

Aeneas visits Didona in Carthage, on the way to Italy ...
    800px-Affresco_romano_-_Enea_e_di.jpg

Attached Files: