1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modifying the Tech Tree

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Yakk, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

Is there a good tutorial/walkthrough out there for some of the "gotchas" for tech tree hacking? Or even some utilities.

In particular, getting the civopedea working and displaying the correct icons, etc.

2. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

The civilopedia is somewhat easy. You'll need to set up a Civ4GameText_Tech XML file in the Text folder. From there you need to have every <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_XXXXX_PEDIA</Civilopedia> from your tech tree correspond to something like this:

Spoiler :

<TEXT>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_XXXXX_PEDIA</Tag>
    <English>tech name here</English>
    </TEXT>

As for the icons I've never made an atlas and simply find the proper Art folder and link my dds file to it. For example:

<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/XXXXX.dds</Button>

means there is a dds named XXXXX in that folder.

Hope this helps.

3. woodelf

woodelf Bard Retired Moderator

And as far as hacking up a tech tree, I normally delete them all except TECH_FUTURE_TECH and the first one. I redo the first one, copy it, paste it below, and then modify for my new tech. I don't think there's a right and wrong, even though others have found problems which is why I remove all of the old ones first.

But be warned that removing all of the old techs will cause havoc on your mod in just about every other XML file when you try to load it up. It might be best to change the <bDisable>0</bDisable> to <bDisable>1</bDisable> in the beginning. Sadly they will all appear in the F6 screen, but they won't be missing and cause massive errors upon loading.

4. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

My goal is to programmatically double the tech tree.

I want to take each tech and split it into THEORY and APPLICATION.

THEORY has all of the existing tech's prerequisites (the APPLICATION version of the prereq). THEORY provides no concrete benefits to your civilization.

APPLICATION has as a prerequisite the only the THEORY of the tech. APPLICATION provides all of the concrete benefits of the technology.

APPLICATION is a non-tradeable tech. Each civilization must research it on their own.

THEORY is a tradable tech.

The cost of APPLICATION+THEORY should match that of the existing tech. The exact split is something I will have to tweak -- 50/50, 70/30 or 30/70 are all worth poking at. (Might have to reduce the cost to make civ advance at a reasonable pace -- does No Tech Trading option in the custom build make tech cheaper?)

This splitting should reduce "large world tech explosion" issues (where trade-happy many-civilization high-contact worlds develop many times faster), and should make it take time for newly discovered nations to catch up technology wise (because they have to do half of the research themselves).

I want to do this programmically (probably a python script[1]) because it means you can use it to retro-fit any existing mod. Just run the script, and poof -- your tech tree is split into theory and application.

Footnote 1: Not run from within civ4 but outside. I picked python because I know it reasonably well, and most civ4 high-end mod teams will know it well enough that if I stop supporting it, and they like it, they can hack it. :)

5. pauldst

pauldst Chieftain

I like this idea! Did you ever get anywhere with it?