Modifying unit domains

sir_woland

Chieftain
I've noticed that each unit is fixed to a domain -- land, sea, air or immobile -- and the domain is what sets the basic rules for unit movement. A land unit can't enter water squares, a sea unit can't enter land squares, an air unit has a fixed operation distance and rebasing capability, and the immobile unit, well, cannot be moved, only used (ICBM).

Now, I'm looking forward to creating an aerial unit which could freely move both over land and over sea. As I see it, one unit can only belong to exactly one domain, and hence I'd need to either tweak the current domains or create a completely new one for this type of units. My problem is that I'm not sure whether it can be done with Python and XML modding, or will it not be available before the SDK comes out. I've tried searching through the Python and XML files, but haven't found what I'm looking for, namely the bit where the domains are declared.

Anyone able to shed some light here?

I'm pretty sure it can be done. I'm equally sure it would be very difficult (read: very much that needs to be done). The domains aren't declared in python. You could however make special rules for it in python, such as making a land unit able to move into water by forcing it to move there. But you might also need to make special rules for how other units would interact with said unit.

Ha

No wonder I've been failing miserably at this.

I'm trying to create some units for a futuristic mod. These units would essentially be airships. I want them to be able to cross any terrain type, including mountains and water, w/out having to rebase, and to carry out normal moves, like a land or sea unit.

Basically, I want a helicopter-type unit that can move over the sea.

Top Bottom